How do you feel about the land rush? Would an alternative lot distribution option be viable?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Mystic, Feb 1, 2016.

?

Do you like the idea of a land rush?

1. Yes! Bring on the competition!

2. No. I would rather have another option for obtaining a lot I like.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Precisely this reason will continue to keep me out of POTs. There are certain to be trustworthy people, but they may leave and others take their place. I'd rather know the behaviors of the "governors" were tempered by the Developers for the benefit of the entire game.

2. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

I don't want this to sound bad but we have some PoT owners that are probably older than dirt lol. What if they die and the steward is a jerk? Heck, what if the person suffers from some kind of illness and a few weeks/months after land rush you realize your land owner is a nut case. Just saying its things I do consider long term because as you stated, there is no 100% certainty so anything can happen. We all know that perfect guild we joined that owns their own PoT could be dismantled at the drop of a dime. We've all either been there or seen it happen.

Tahru is :cool:

3. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

I think maybe you missed what I meant, I do not question any of the owners of POT's trustworthiness, I mean that real life things can happen and take away the owners of the POT, not to be awful but financial ruin, death etc... Or they just decide to quit and sell off their assets, then a new owner comes in and says sorry you are all out on the street.

It really sucks, because there are some really neat POT's out there that I would love to live in, it just scares me to much to try though. :( If only there were some way to secure your place in a town.

Draconin and HoustonDragon like this.
  4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I understood and that's what I meant; those owners may change down the line, or simply decide one day to disband the POT entirely. I've seen guilds dissolve with huge dramas in many other games that would be far less impactful than when talking about other player's houses and plots.

5. Hermann von Salza2

Yep, I am 47 yrs old, soon to be 48. I have been gaming for many years hehe. I have seen the best guilds fold due to one bad seed who comes in and just devours the guild in drama, splitting it like a walnut. I suppose it is all a gamble though when you come down to it.

Ice Queen and Draconin like this.
  6. Hermann von Salza2

Hehe, I am with ya :) I have ran a couple, been an officer in many, but have no desire to do it again :) Guilds scare me to much now a days :)
    I gave Meridian a try, but my real true mmo experience was UO. Man I miss those early days of gaming. Nothing like today's stuff at all.

Mordecai, Ice Queen and Draconin like this.
  7. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

I think this may be why many people want the comfort and security of having their main deed in a npc/prt while using a secondary for a PoT. This is why its so important to some because of the control and permanence, so long as you log in periodically. No one can take it away from you unless you let it go. Some question why on earth is this so important compared to other aspects of the game. Just speaking for myself, I didn't drop a grand for titles, 5 episodes or anything else really.. its the lot and house. So hopefully I get a spot I can be satisfied with (not asking for much just a biome I like) or the $45 pledge was perfectly fine for me.

Ice Queen and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

So instead of paying more For your pledge you are here trying to screw them out of what they paid for? I guess you are misguided, this game depends on donations to survive. If the devs screw us you have no game to play. Now most high level pledges have towns that they got for free. Every duke I know and lotm have a town.their second deed has to wait til you place yours. Their castle and keep lots will be in their cities. So you are not competing with barons and above. Keeping your word is important when money is involved. Backing out of a plan everyone agreed on at this point will do more harm than good.

9. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

wow, thanks for that. Feeling defensive? Where exactly did i say i wanted to screw anyone out of anything? I was doing nothing but stating facts, which you were stating incorrectly. and I did not say that the order should be changed.

This is absolute speculation, and please go re-check your numbers if you think we aren't competing with barons and above.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I have a town.
    I didn't get it for free, since I pledged Duke before there were any bonuses.
    I will be looking for a keep in an NPC town that matters. Preferably the royal founder reward island keep.
    I've seen LotM and Dukes say they are planning to claim lots outside player owned towns and sell them for profit, so there will be competition.
    I'll put my keep in my town only as a last resort.

Miracle Dragon, Dame Lori and Bubonic like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

How do you change the dynamic PoT town crier's message?

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against the players that plan on doing this. They are only playing the game as it was designed.

Its the Design Itself that is causing the issue.

13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You can't. I was speaking about my lore. My plan is to have the town crier in my POT have a robust dialogue. But until that's possible I have simply written down a backstory for him and that is one of the quotes he will say.

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's always a fair stance to take, imo.

It's towards the end of the day to be fighting this particular battle though. I hear most generals don't often win if they're always fighting the last war. But that's in no way saying you can't.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Yeah, someone suggested that in a chat I had with them last night.

Granted, it's something. But equally...when I can maybe spare a couple of hours per week to really focus on games, the thought of having to run to every town on the map and speak to the town criers thereat seems daunting. I don't really care which town I end up in (as long as it's not a POT, though I'd be fine with a PRT), but it would be nice to have some way of knowing at a glance which towns are full-up, and which ones still have openings.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  16. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Well, thanks for the comp. on the name.

I should walk back my statement a bit: there are one or two POTs I'd consider living in, because I know the people who own them and know their level of commitment to SotA. But in general, I'm not an MMO person anyway (I come from the single-player side of the Ultima fandom), and I don't always find it enhances my experience of a game when I'm cognizant of the presence of other players.

Miracle Dragon and HoustonDragon like this.
  17. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Would forming an in-game coalition to protest the land rush be considered a constructive way to continue disputing this issue? I think once Brittany is in-game, we could have huge numbers flocking the castle and we could publicize the issue on YouTube, getting everyone involved to help voice their concerns and perspectives on the matter.

If we're making real-life news from in-game actions like this, we could propel these issues into the general gaming community to spark more interest in SotA! Let's face it, everyone loves a good controversy, and the meta-level of dealing with it in this way may prove both fun, and productive. ;-D

Now where are those writable signs for us to carry? We could also have huge numbers of players sign a treatise written in an in-game book about the issue.. There is so much potential to have fun with this in-game, it may even lead to our first in-game guild war if enough passion builds up on opposing sides of the issue!

Ice Queen likes this.
  18. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

#OccupyBrittany?

19. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

We need to tweet that to LB and the rest, today! ;-D

#OccupyBrittany!

Ice Queen, Womby, Vyrin and 1 other person like this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

Nope. There have been several high value pledgers who have already made public their intention to purchase row, village, or town lots in high traffic areas, with their larger deeds. Beyond that public intention, I can only presume the intent is to resell those lot locations for RL cash and profit. Makes sense, right?

Of course, restricting land rush lots to their maximum size would halt such behavior, but then, it's been 2.5+ years, and Portalarium refuses to acknowledge never mind comment on the issue, which in itself is tacit confirmation/encouragement. Huzzah for silence? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.