Holdfast ran by its citizens

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by MulGirtab [BEAR], Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

My goal is simple, to create a city that is ran by its citizens with a simple elected government to start off with. You chose, out of the citizens running for position, who you want in office. The rest is up to you on what happens for the rest of SotAs life.

This Holdfast will be connected to Berans Reach with no overworld access. Berans Reach will not have any say over what is done with this city. It will be ran on its own terms based on what YOU want.

My job then will be the to set up the Holdfast as requested and be the liaison between The Beran League and the Holdfast along with the Mayor or designated Council member.

Here is how it will work to start off.

For now the rolls (which can be changed once established) are Mayor and 4 council members. Once the first elections are held and the tiny government has been established.

This is what I will do at first:

Our first Holdfast meeting will take place once we have 50% of the lots filled.
    During this meeting we will discuss:
    Taking names of people who want to be mayor or council members.
    More to come...

Once we have the names of the people that want to be members of the government, they will have the chance to say what the need to in order to be elected. After that we will start up the elections.

Once the votes are in and we have the new government established, we will have a Change-of-office ceremony. Time and location TBD

Then we will start the talks on setup of the Holdfast. This will be permanent and you will forever be known as the founding members of the Holdfast. The information we will discuss and vote on:

City Name: Coming soon when voted on.

Open PvP: Yes or No

NPC:
    Town Crier: Name, Gender, Character Description
    NPC Building: What Type of building, Name, Gender, Character Description of each NPC

Lot Types: -There will be no City or higher lots unless we upgrade the city size.
    Row =
    Village =
    Town =

Custom Song playlist:
    Song 1 =
    Song 2 =

I will have a full list of songs that you can chose on our forums at The Bear Tavern website

After this point I'm step back and mediate.

All communications will be done on The Bear Tavern/The Beran League website under our personal forum thread.

As a reminder I am not part of the government ruling over this Holdfast, I am just setting stuff up as requested and the liaison between The Beran League and the Holdfast. ANYTHING can be changed and I will do nothing but set up the changes.

If you would like to become a citizen, send me a message here or on The Bear Taven website and I will add you to the list.

2. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Good luck with your project, I'm interested to see how things develop :)

3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

That is an outstanding outline of unique vision. Can't wait till all is implemented. As Hannibal would say " I love it when a plan comes together." Am looking forward to visiting when all is up and running. Great job! :)

4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

An interesting concept. A town run solely by it's inhabitants!

I've heard of similar ideas, but the Mayor and "council" were all investors or part owners of the town itself. But I like the idea of letting the people police their own town and design it from the ground up. I'd like to see how this turns out too so I'll be following along from time to time.

Good luck to you MulGirtab.

5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

6. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

Thanks I am eger to get this going!!!

So far people like the idea but I have yet to have anyone willing to join it. I will have to set it all up myself If I cant get people by the time they want to put my city in game.

Mata, Kendric Darrow and Tahru like this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Let me know if I can be of any help. Don't worry about getting folks, you build as stated and folks will be drawn IMHO

Mata and Kendric Darrow like this.
  8. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

Yeah I know but part of the objective was to be a new settlement from scrach and established by its citizens. However I will get it set up and running and go from there. Not sure when the deadline for editing your town is but I hope to have this going by then.

Sean Silverfoot and Mata like this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Good Question; I'd bet you have plenty of time for trial and error. Sometimes it takes a while for a vision to catch on.
    I agree with what @Sean Silverfoot said; build it and they'll come. Personally...I think a lot will be coming once we get past the post launch "maiden" voyage

Sean Silverfoot and Mata like this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Getting a bunch of people together to build a self-governed town is easiest if you are pulling on a pool of people (e.g. guildmates) who already know each other, are interested in working together to form a government and have detailed knowledge about the project. If this is your aim, personal conversations with potential town members is probably your best bet for recruiting inhabitants.

If you are looking to recruit "outsiders", I think that many players who haven't already committed to living somewhere else need more information to make an informed decision. The only selling point you list is the self-governing aspect. This can draw people in, but it can also scare people away because they won't know who they will have to work with to govern the town. Also keep in mind that many players in the pre-alpha who haven't already committed to place a home somewhere else are newbies and don't even know what a "Holdfast" is. They don't know what The Bear Tavern is, where Berans Reach is (btw there is no "Berans Reach" on the map at Sotamap.com.), they don't know what "no overworld access" means in the sense of actual (in)convenience or what is great about the location or why they would want to live there. A town's biome is one of the main attractions of a town, as is the town's PVP/non-PVP affiliation. It will be difficult to find people who have no preferences or are willing to forgo their own preferences and let the town council decide on these things.

I think if you want to include "outsiders" you need to do much more marketing and it will be a real challenge.

I do like the idea and wish you the best of luck!

11. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

Getting a good guide written up with some form of vision statement is a good start, especially if you're trying to establish something new. Producing a solid core of an idea and then building on that will help attract in those who would like to share your vision. As always, shout if you need a hand!

Sean Silverfoot, Kara Brae and Mata like this.
  12. Mata

Mata Avatar

Good luck and best wishes for your project! :)

13. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

My holdfast is in-gmae now. I am looking for people with extra Deeds to place in the town to help sort out the layout with a visiual look . The lots are open to all and all you need to do is claim it. This will only be for this release. If you want to join the town once the wipes have stopped, please send me a message. I am working on the website but It will not be ready for sometime.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

P.S. I will be upgrading to Hamlet soon. Just working on saving the money for it.

Mata likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.