Rant on Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satan Himself, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So....limited teleportation with a high cost could work. However a menu system where you just select where you want to be seems pointless.

What is the point of all the cities if the only thing you are doing is zipping between them to meet up for some social encounter?

Getting to a cave should be just as much an adventure as getting to the bottom of the cave. So lets make the overworld map better and more immersive, because if all we get is travel on it why bother?

This is why it is shocking to me that they will go live without having overworld roaving encounters in. That's at least something to make the map interesting....at the moment it is a static map.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

No. Most will be stationary mules to monitor pricing in regional areas and to do buy orders as needed. I will either hire someone to transport the goods or on occasion do so myself or as a guild depending upon the nature of travel. The main take away is the fact there are no virtual geographically separated markets when you can have multiple accounts and collusion. Also no technical measure can prevent such collusion.

So limited trade and transportation will primarily only hinder the "good" guys. Why implement such a measure which will solely benefit power-gamers or and/or mega-guilds?

Lord Baldrith, Budner and Tarsilion like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There's the understatement of the year.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The travel still has to happen regardless of what you're doing. That's all the really matters to support the regional economy. The price of travel is baked into the cake.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's what they're building.
    I agree.
    They want to too. They'll get there.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Now, the real question is will they get there in time as I feel that is one of the major things that should be looked at now...

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I really have no issue with travel except the control points. In my heart, I want control points to be fun. But in practice, I'm worried I will end up finding them to be irritating obstacles I have to go through every hour that I cross the map. At best, I worry that they are too easy and seem like a hindrance that doesn't deserve my gaming time. At worst, I worry that they might actually be so hard in places that they prevent me from reaching another destination. This is the travel feature I am most leery about. I thnk there must be some delicate balance to get these right, and I'm interested in to see where they land.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The issue everyone seems to be avoiding as well is that there isn't enough content if you can zip around....you will burn through what is there in little time.

Tarsilion and Draugon Erynor like this.
  9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

But Greyfox, that's exactly the point. Whatever you transport will cost more than the guy producing it in his plentiful back yard.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

That would be nice, and 3 chars per account, will bring a total of 24 avatars! But you will still need the time to play them all, and move pass the CP with low level chars... nah, it won´t work, we will do better to focus on a few good chars and buy the commodities (wood, iron, cotton), the unfinished products (handles, ... ) or the finished stuff (magic sword of this and that) from third parties. It will be most likely more money wise to get gold with our high level chars and then go to the market. A marked provided not only by NPCs but by other players that bring their products there, some from very far away lands. That will be great, IMHO, a refreshing change of the global 'auctions' we can found on other games.

KuBaTRiZeS and Draugon Erynor like this.
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Dang, I was searching for information on the bludgeoning skill line and found this thread!

But seriously, I'm also hoping that overland map improvements and functionality make overland travel more interesting than point A to point B only. The question that has to be answered is 'why have a travel feature at all?' What is the purpose of traveling? Adventure? or Time sink? The concern in this thread seem to be time sink. To address that, we need to see more game design information on the counter-balancing positive, which is adventure value of travel. What is the game design feature that is intended to make travel fun?

Budner, 4EverLost, KuBaTRiZeS and 3 others like this.
  12. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Time sink is one side of the coin. Encounters and adventures are the other. Devs have announced, and I expect them for next release, traveling monsters visible on the overland map. We will have to run or fight them. Also, traveling merchants and resources, already can be found when we travel.

Sometimes... I wonder if people is actually playing the game or just posting on the forum. :D

4EverLost likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm jumping in late on this thread, but I must jump in ;) SOTA is a game being created for 'everyone', not just some. I know people who come here for all of the game, every single thing it has to offer. Some come for mostly the story, and some come for mostly the social aspects and roleplay aspects, and I also know some where pvp is about all they want. That does not even cover half of what this game will be, there is so much more. To say no way to fast travel is close minded imo because it does not fit everyone's play-style and lifestyle. Everyone can have their say but in the end we absolutely must compromise. We must compromise on so many things because of the type of game this is. If this were just for example a role-playing game the answer would be much simpler.

So imo we constructively compromise for the good of our 'something for everyone' type of game. I totally vote for fast travel options and compensate with trusting someone to take the slow path when necessary to see what they need to see. We are adults here. The argument against the economy is not dependent on this also imo. I want to find my favorite spots to go and if you want to be my favorite spot then take the challenge and make yours that. Don't force us to it, make it so. I say I can fast travel if I want but I can also enjoy the game in its many facets and search for clues to mysteries and secrets as well walking the country side. But please do not consider making travel decision based on one type of gamer. We will have many types of gamers here and they are all welcome. Make some hard choices that help the game live up to its best potential and don't say I'm right you're wrong attitude to hurt the game and make it nothing more than a frustrating mass of pixels for some players, lighten up, well if you want ;)

14. Whatelse73

Whatelse73 Avatar

Something similar that's an option, perhaps horses or carts that travel between towns? even if it shows the cart traveling between towns on the world map, but it is faster than running from town to town? I recall the carts in Skryim and Lotro has horses between towns. Some are quick travel version, but some are also regular travel. I would think that to be a fair compromise between the two?

From my recent adventuring I recall a gate at eastreach gap that was an instance to try running through (unless you're rich and have 1500 to get safe passage through). I couldn't run it because I am too low and too poor still.

15. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

No, just no. What is with people today thinking we have to "compromise" on everything. To me that is nothing more than saying I don't have the guts to pick a side. No offense meant. And not directly pointed at you.

16. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm now reopening this thread after giving it a major cleaning out.
    Please now keep this thread on topic, civil and without insults or attacks.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes if you mean picking a side like either my way or your way, well that is not going to work. True I would love my side, full on rune books, mark all the spots I want and fast teleport to all of them, but unfortunately that is not going to happen. I could bash my head against the wall and cry because it is not going to happen, or I could stand back and watch and listen for a second to other peoples feedback on the subject. There is no either or in this case. There is a meeting of three minds for the best solution for the game. One of those minds is freedom, lots of freedom to teleport, and the 2nd mind is against it no fast travel, and then there's the mind that meets in the middle to keep us all sane and able to enjoy the game. So my side is whatever is best for the game. So just in case you don't know tonight is Temper Tantrum Thursday with @Apollox Evanheart from @AvatarsRadio ranting for our game. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/its-thursday.42554/#post-506172

18. Hermann von Salza2

I have had enough moderation on this thread to last me a lifetime. So forgive me if I wont fall for it with you and get into an argument again. There are no "three minds" There is one and that is Portalarium. I mean this with all due respect, you play to much in the grey for me to have a debate. I don't like to debate with "devils advocate" types. This thread has wore me out. I'm gone :)

19. Womby

Womby Avatar

@Draugon Erynor

Portalarium is open not just to compromise, but on occasion complete reversal (see usage based skill advance). They are actively seeking player views. As Richard Garriott wrote:

"Womby,
    Our internal Mantra is "Stable, fast & fun - In that order".
    Our servers are now stable and the client ain't so bad, so we are good there I think.
    The render pipeline still needs and is getting some work to be "fast" enough. In progress, but we will be there.
    Fun. We have been piling IN all the features, as they interact with each other and they are hard to balance and fine tune without the others present.
    Now that MOST of the ship features are in, we are in the tuning phase, but just at the START of the tuning phase.
    Please fear not. We hear you. We will address this. But DO PLEASE CONTINUE TO COMMENT!
    That's the way we know and know how to priority.
    Mention problems, mention solutions if you think you have one, and have faith that we are listening and working hard FOR you!
    - Richard"

Lord Baldrith, KuBaTRiZeS and Budner like this.
  20. Hermann von Salza2

Draugon's servant comes to the door, creeeeek as the door opens. Hello Sir, I am sorry to say that Lord Draugon has moved on from this thread. Good day! And shuts the door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.