Taming Help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zehrwolf, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zehrwolf

Zehrwolf Avatar

I currently have 17 in Taming, and 5 in Summoning. I was able to tame a Grey Wolf at Solace Bridge, but it took 2 tries, and they seem pretty weak. Can someone provide a list of tameable creatures, listed by how difficult they are to tame? Or at least tell me what is after Grey Wolves? Where can I find other animals to try and tame?

Does taming raise as you raise Summoning or any of the other skills in that skill tree, or does it only raise, when trying to Tame a new animal?

Does every taming attempt always use up a collar? because the collars are not cheap, and you go through them fast!

2. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

The taming system and pets and how it all works is pretty mysterious. I just bought a grey wolf for 2000 from a public vendor. It has 159 HP and does decent damage. Good enough for my little level 16 char to run after and heal.
    I heard though that you can't rez your pet in case it dies. I don't have the resurrect spell yet, but when I have it, It would be great if I could revive it. Or implement a pet bonding system that makes your pet follow you as a ghost when it died, so you can resurrect it anytime.

Pk u, Numa, 4EverLost and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I haven't tested taming yet this release, but I'm farming silver right now to do so.

My biggest gripe about the entire taming system in previous releases (and perhaps still this one?) was how you'd lose your collar upon a failed taming attempt. That's was (is?) just ridiculous.

4. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

There's a posting series of one guy leveling a Ranger and he wrote he burned through over 200 collars at one leveling spot. These things sell for 800g each (or did when I last checked).
    These collars make it a job for rich characters, unfortunately for people like me who'd love to start and grow as tamers, with a little wolf at first and a Wyrm towards the end.

But we're still Pre-Alpha and I suppose there will be a lot of overhauls. I think the current system is more of a placeholder.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Numa likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

He Knows who I am :) and I have helped him out :) My post is also now going into pets and sorry overstepping your post but I will gladly include your info

Grumpie

kazeandi likes this.
  7. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

I enjoy your thread. It's an interesting and informative read for me, as I started out just this week and already managed to skill in bad directions (going "Death till I can afford to skill Taming" was not a wise choice).

Feel free to use this info. Likewise, if you got data on pet HP (or even more stats), I can include that in my thread, too, since I think there can never bee too much info on something. Right now, the whole game is a giant mystery for newbies like me.

I planned to look up guides for Magery and Taming, but none were available. Maybe we can keep this up and slowly build info sources. This game is great and sure deserves it.

4EverLost likes this.
  8. Zehrwolf

Zehrwolf Avatar

Thanks Guys, and Grumpie was a HUGE help, I could not imagine doing taming without the help he gave me. Taming really is broken at the moment, I wanted a pet early to help me level, I didnt realize I would have to level up really high first, just to be able to mine silver or buy collars to even get my first pet. The collar being used up on every attempt (including fails) is ridiculous. Also the only way to level taming, is summoning, and that can only be done once an hour!!! ??? - For the casual gamer like me, I only play for an hour or 2 at a time, it will take weeks to get the next row of skills unlocked, and then maybe months to get them to a decent level?

Where are you guys mining Silver? I would love to be able to make my own collars, but the only place I heard there was silver was Graff Gem Mines, long walk, and I am not sure if I can fight the creatures there to be able to mine.

9. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Summon pet, dismiss pet, suicide, run to an Ankh, repeat.
    The second row will be open in 30 minutes.

Not elegant, but this game is still in development and I'm sure things will change - until then, this is at least a viable option.

When you switch zones, you probably want to suicide again, to be able to summon your pet, since they don't follow you (yet).

10. Zehrwolf

Zehrwolf Avatar

kazeandi - Thank you! - That sounds like a great plan, at least until they fix Taming. I know it is Pre-Alpha, and that Taming is a fairly new skill, so hopefully they will flush it out and improve it over time (hopefully sooner rather than later!)

11. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Taming is not broken. It is just a more complex feature and you need time to get behind the details. Taming is nothing for a low char yet, but perhaps we can expect some changes later.

If you start taming on your own, you need a decent char to get the silver. But if you work together with others, you could raid the silver mines really early. I did it on the first day after the wipe with 3 people + chest mimics. Because taming is a bit more complex than the releases before I opened a pet shop in Owls Head ( 4Beasts), where you can buy a pet or trade it for ressources, so everyone can get a pet without going through the pain to level taming by yourself.

Using a tamed pet is something else. you don't need rez when you get used to the fact, that you can dissmiss a pet before it dies. This way it goes back into the whistle and is save. I'm aware it is not easy to train summoning, but it should go up when you call your pet even if you don't need it in the next hour. Each summoning raise the skill. But you should be aware it uses the adventure XP pool. I would like to write a guide, but there are so many changes now, that is hard to explain the real details.

Gaelis, Albus, Kacey and 1 other person like this.
  12. kazeandi

kazeandi Avatar

Nobody says it's broken. It works. However, there's no doubt it needs to be implemented properly, which I think will happen at some point.
    It's just not very accessible for young characters at this point in time.

The fact all the taming skills can be raised best by chain-suiciding doesn't help the impression either.
    But it's all right, it's not even Alpha. They have better things to do at the moment.

13. Nastor

Nastor Avatar

I wonder, does the summoning spell do anything besides the summoning of a creature, so that it is neceassary to level this skill? For example does a higher skill reduce summoning cooldown? Does it raise the level of the creature or does the creatures level raise through the xp it gains in combat? Or is the creatures initial level unchangeable?

14. Zehrwolf

Zehrwolf Avatar

Nastor - As far as i know the summoning skill does not do a lot on its own. Looking at the skill it does show a range and a cooldown, but I'm not sure is they improve as you level it. I am currently at 11 Summoning, and the Range is 20, and the Cooldown is 10 Seconds, so if your skill is lower and the numbers are different then Yes, it affects it. Maybe one of the more skilled/experienced tamers will contribute more insight and info.

The main reason I trained it up, is to open up the skills underneath it (level 10 required). Then using it also helps to get those skills raised. Every time you summon, the innate skills underneath it in the tree, go up a little. As far as I can tell, the only way to level any of these skills is to tame and summon, the pet attacking and such seems to do nothing to help those skills level. That is something I hope they change later. Remember Taming is a relatively new skill in SoTA, so we are all hoping that more improvements are coming.

I hope I was helpful in some way, I know that Weins, Themo, and kazeandi have been very helpful to me :)

15. agra

agra Avatar

Taming was introduced on July 29th, 2015. As of today, it's been in-game 198 days. (6.5 months)
    Considering it was almost excluded from implementation entirely, despite being reached as a stretch goal, I don't think it's very high on the priority list for fixes or tuning.
    Also, in light of the insane resource/costs, it's also clear that it's not currently a design goal that starting characters use the ability, otherwise they would have made the crafted objects optional, and let you increase the skill through use and simply make all the pets temporary (in that hex) unless you wanted to expend the cost on the crafted objects, and save them for later.
    But, of course, that wouldn't have been punitive, so probably not a big selling point. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.