Something that really burns my butt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I think you are missing my point... I also want MORE player interactions in multiplayer not less. But I want them to be more positive.

Single player online doesn't allow me to harvest resources with strangers... and even friends only I still can't harvest with friends as we can't all get the same node.

Right now, people purposely go into SPO so they can avoid fighting over nodes. I think we want the same thing but you're failing to see my point. If everyone can harvest the same nodes, it would encourage more people to play together. Not less... right now if I see you out harvesting wood, and I want to harvest wood. I'm either going to try and harvest all the wood before you, or go to a completely different zone to harvest alone. In an instanced node system, I can harvest the wood right along with you, and maybe say "hello" and continue adventuring together as our goals are aligned.

I'm advocating for more Co-operative multiplayer experiences. The current system encourages avoiding other players, not more interactions.

HairballHacker likes this.
  2. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I also think we should be able to kill the same mobs and get shared experience even if we are not grouped. It's so weird and archaic that I see you getting attacked by skeletons but don't help because I might "steal" your kill.

Acred and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Your statement above is based on what? Opinion and Speculation. Adding a controlled mechanic to prevent loot stealing would have zero impact on the multiplayer interaction in this game and I haven't read a single reason that has enough substance to dissuade me of its value, even if the ONLY value is to prevent griefing.

HairballHacker likes this.
  4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Other games have actually used systems where players can share experience/loot from mobs even if they are not grouped. It's rather nice and more immersive. There's no reason I shouldn't be able/want to help you kill that troll you're battling with. Kill stealing is such an anti-roleplay mechanic.

HairballHacker and Acred like this.
  5. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Going to play the devil here. :)
    Maybe you shouldn't because the person doesn't want you to? Maybe they don't want your help? Even if they die. Met some who were like this. o_O But then, they should go SPO or FPO, but this suggestion doesn't meet the approval with resources sharing either.

Great. Help me. Hey, why do I even need to party you to do this quest again? I can just follow again and be in the general vicinity and the quest is done - yep, happens in some of those other mmos. Look, I managed to complete a quest! When did I do it? Can't even remember.:rolleyes:

Sure, still nothing preventing you from taking turns in getting resources, experience, etc with friends. But, if I can get all of these things - resources, exp, kills, etc. Why do I even need to party and talk and try to get along with you in the first place. Just stand there do your own thing and be on your way. The way I did it in some other MMOs. It was an MMO wasn't it?;) Feels nice when they passed out the achievements to everyone equally. Feels even better when they don't and friends share the bounty with you. :D

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  6. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

Jalapeno and Kimchi here.

Anyways regarding node stealing, I can get upset or I can accept that not everyone is nice and move on. The less time I spend even thinking about negative things the better. Its why I'm always happy! :)

7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

As much as Id like to have this for Shroud, the chances of something like this being retroactively implemented are very slim as the cost would be high. Something like this really needs a high player population in order to show its full benefits.

If this game does do as well as I hope it does I'm sure this topic will be revisited again in the future. :)

Acred likes this.
  8. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Same old forced socialization argument...

I played GW2 for a while, and this was always one of the arguments in that game. People claimed that "no one talks because you don't have to blah blah". But you know what?! I would talk to strangers I happened to be adventuring with all the time and honestly 9 times out of 10 they responded. Few times I even made lasting friends that way.

If people want to socialize, they will. Forcing them through archaic systems is not the best way.

9. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

My answer to this problem would be "Gather resources in a PvP instance" but after reading this thread it seems thats not what people want to hear...
    Lets face it: All this talk about "only positive interactions please" is pretty much a "please no competition" or am I seeing that wrong? I certainly dont want a sanitized online experience and I highly doubt that I am alone with this. Being protected from other people by mechanics doesn't suddenly make people friendly...

4EverLost and SeleneNoctua like this.
  10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I agree in some respects. But I feel like without open PvP contested resources is just an annoyance. I'm not a PvP fan for the record. But if someone can "steal" your resource node and you can't do anything about it, that's not much of a multiplayer experience.

11. agra

agra Avatar

There's a nigh-infinite number of ways to compete with other online players. I'm happy to compete. I'm not happy to be repeatedly victimized while I'm trying to experience my choice of entertainment. Big difference.

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i've stated on several occasions that i hate loot ninjas too, and that i enjoyed how arenanet combated that with guildwars 2.. i'm just not certain that the same tactics they used there will help or hinder the smaller and regional economies. i can see hwo it could do both but do not see how it could do either too badly.

i hope something is done about it.

Dreamo84 likes this.
  13. Dumdidum

Dumdidum Avatar

There should be a way to deal with this kind of behaviour. Actions should have consequences.
    If it is not PVP, then something else - karma debufs as suggested could be a good way, but naming and shaming in a different way works really great as well. A crafter needs customers and therefor a great reputation, and being flagged an ore ninja wont get you far.
    That being said, the hard part is to implement these kind of systems without those being misused, as well.

I am not in favor of more instancing - as some other have said, where does that end ?

helm likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

or when a loot ninja comes along if your looting it then they come by and try to loot it they turn grey and are attackable :) im for that option!

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hi blaquerogue,

I kind of like this idea if the gray only lasts for 5 minutes or so. That would add to the risk of being resource goober but gives the gatherer the choice of responding or chalking it up to prepubescent mischief. Being a coder myself (not gaming, boring stuff) I'm uncertain how this could be implemented technically--perhaps a short-duration flag on the resource indicating who attempted a harvest first? I dunno...

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Excellent idea on the time stam, im down with that as well. What i normally do, and those that i did it to understand :) is just go kite a bunch of monsters wherever they are bring it to them, then dissapear, if they killed all the monstesr they earned it GRIN. But it does piss me off as much as you.

17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It's amazing what a draw a post title can be. 7 pages of replies already!

The worst similar experience I ever had was way back in release 16 or 17. I was fighting a pack of wolves in the Mysterious Swamp and after what seemed like hours to me, I finally had them worn down to where they started to drop, one-by-one. A player ran by, targeted the only Obsidian Wolf in the bunch, one-shot it to steal the experience, and kept going. I called after him asking why he had done that, but got no reply. The same thing happened to me later that day with a completely different player.

That experience drove me into single player for the longest time.

Recently, I have had cause to fear that my combat pet was acting in a similar unsocial fashion. Since pet defensive mode was bugged, I put it into aggressive mode, which makes it run off and attack anything in range of its radar. I caught it a few times attacking mobs that another player was fighting with and have even had to dismiss it to call it off. :(

Aldo, 4EverLost, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

thats because your honorable! Its nice to know some people still have basic honor. :) there are others like us out there!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Aldo and Kara Brae like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think you missed your target:

Time to put away that hammer. Not everything you see is a nail.

20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Then that's a completely different thing all together, what a putz, a stinker, a low life scum bag, how dare he (she) do such a low down nasty thing... Did you get their chr name? Write it on the wall and don't forget them... Back when I played WoW, that constantly happened to me, and in UO I even had some witch pick up the stack of hides I was sewing and drop them on the tailors head, I was so peeved... and I told them so, they acted like I had a problem...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.