Interesting (Splitting Single-Player from Multiplayer?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'm not confused about the two different single player modes. I'm confused at how you are considering selling this other game when this first game isn't yet completed, and the one you are wanting to sell is still just words on a screen :)

And yeah, there is no reason to get the 'crippled' single-player-only mode for a small group of people who'd be interested in such a thing, I'd rather have this game. Completed.

agra and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Of course, if the single offline version of the game was sold at a lower price, there would be a torrent of people saying they were ripped off because they only wanted the offline version but had to buy the full game, and they'll want their money back. So there'd be that to deal with.

So, if post launch they sell the offline version for $45, and enable the online modes for $15-25, I don't think that goes against the selective multiplayer concept. Selective multiplayer would be available.

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

In reality, they should consider axing single player mode lol! I can't see much reason for it yet.. :)

Ice Queen and Dreamo84 like this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Single player mode would miss out on player created content as well, there are a lot of things Avatar's are creating for each other to enjoy. Parties, tournaments, scavenger quests, stories.......

5. Sir Frank

He's not saying selling "this other game". He's saying offering the offline mode separately for people who want that, which I think is a large group.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

You could consider giving the crippled version out free, gaining potential mmo players later, and avoiding lots of complaints that would come from paying customers ;)

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

What is this mode then, in your eyes, that will make it different or useful than SPO mode? All I know is our stuff and avatar is not transferrable to either side. And without the housing placed by players, Port has a lot of work to consider filling up all the PRT's and Story Towns.. and what of the POT's investments (sitting in Rat's Nest right now looking for a fight.. noone around :( ;) )?

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It would also have the effect of splitting the player base.

9. Sir Frank

There are players that are not MMO players, or even potential MMO players.
    It's a story driven RPG similar to Ultima. The issues you raise about filling up the Offline world is already something Portalarium has to do. The other issues are only concerns for MMO people, which aren't offline players, so those arguments don't apply.
    No more than they are already. Offline is a mode already promised as part of the selective multiplayer experience.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Makes no scenes at all, the offline version is already split from the online version, changing the name has no effect... So why bother?

agra and Ice Queen like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

I'm not talking about changing the name of anything. I'm saying that Portalarium could sell the single player ONLY mode as a stand alone game so they could make more money.

13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

From my understanding is that Star Citizen and Squadron 42 were always meant to be separate games. That's little different than SOTA's strategy of having a story in both Single and Multiplayer. Chris Roberts wanted to create a universe and being soaked in cash allowed him to also put a good story with some great voice talents. I still wonder what SOTA would have been with that kind of cash, but for now you get both Single and Multiplayer in a single game. It would have been nice to have a version of SOTA tailored for Single Player, but alas it has not the bank roll.. :(

I just jumped on Star Citizen because I knew this split was coming and really wanted to pay less for both products. I think Squad 42 will be a great primer to the Star Citizen's universe. Add in Mark Hamil and its a must have. :D

14. Drocis the Devious

I didn't like the movie Rush Hour, but the scene where Chris Tucker says "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?" Keep appearing in my head. :)

15. Drocis the Devious

Also, I really enjoyed THIS article by NPR a few years ago...

It's really fine if people disagree with me based on what I'm talking about. But please, understand that I'm only talking about selling single player OFFLINE as a stand alone game.

16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

But it wouldn't make them anymore money... Either a person is going to buy the single player game or the multi-player... It's not like they're going to produce a Boxed set, its all downloads...

17. Drocis the Devious

If I go to Steam and I have an option to buy a SINGLE PLAYER OFFLINE version of SOTA for a reduced price, maybe I buy that and try it out. Because maybe I could care less about the MMO-like features of the game. But maybe later I say "ok I'll give the MMO-like features a try" and I upgrade my account by getting the DLC Multiplayer expansion that opens up my game to what we know today.

4EverLost likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

To me, the plan on makes sense if there's enough differentiation between the offline and online games. Currently, as it stands, there isn't enough reason despite the price.
    Now try the reverse scenario and it makes even less sense. You buy the Online game and play through that. What incentive is there to pay an additional price just to be offline? You've finished the campaign, there isn't any modding as the game doesn't support it, and the offline game doesn't play any differently than online save for respawn timers. There really isn't much to offer in the reverse case.

One could argue your example should have been how this whole thing started: make your epic RPG so people fall in love with your story and world, and then later down the line, let them play together in that sandbox, drawing upon all that lore and worldbuilding as the core platform to create your own stories and events. But I digress.... :)

Fister Magee and 4EverLost like this.
  19. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

So generally I didn't see the point of selling the offline version separate. However it might be compelling adding it at a reduced price. I think this should be after launch as I think for this to not seem like a rip off the offline only will need to be better fleshed out. It would need more npcs, better played out town to replace the PC stuff. Basically feel like a single player game, which I honestly don't think it would be without online content.

However flesh out that after launch and sell it at all as an offline only version for a cheaper cost. Of course do we know what the SOTA retail cost will be? Many kickstarter games fall into the $15-20 range which would be too low to reduce further. I am hoping SOTA retails higher, but history is a harsh teacher...

20. Sir Frank

Flesh out is already supposed to happen between July and the end of the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.