Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The boats from Hidden Vale to Novia need tolls.

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Grave Dragon, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry no logical reason to add a toll, none. You can go around the control points without the toll.

Making travel more difficult is not the solution, to misconceptions about what a regional economy should be.

2. Noric

Noric Avatar

It has the closest thing to a "starter" mine in the game, currently (subject to change) the primary economic hub of the entire game and some of the best high level zones in the entire game. It also does have single skull maps that are arguably better than those near soltown. Why should all of this content be segmented off from a large portion of the population?

Leelu likes this.
  3. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Yes Hidden Vale is important . My house is there:D

I know what your saying though perhaps there will be something important there. you never know . The game is changing all the time;) but your right near Brittany would be the logical option at the moment.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Honestly (at least for me) a death is more convenient than loading two additional scenes to get where I want to go. Besides, I can count on one hand the number of times I've died in a control point. Most people will pay the toll instead of going through the lag of Ardoris and the walk in Kingsport. But it creates an option for people who are really opposed to parting with their gold.

Quenton and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  5. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

And that is precisely the issue.

It should be segregated to support the devs intention of regional economy which in turn prevents game wide economic hubs like Owls Head or Luna in UO.

Again this thread is not to discuss "why", so please keep posts on topic.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Yeah I think you're right on the money here, I've run that path and I agree it's far enough to satisfy the need for controlled travel, assuming folks transporting bulk goods would be overweight or using a pack animal (in the future)... after all we just want it difficult, not impossible.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Genius!

Put the mysterious mages on the overland map and skip the two pointless loading scenes!!

@DarkStarr

8. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm sorry, but my post is entirely on topic. Hidden Valley is not designed in a way that it is widely accessible for people to even join in the "regional" economy. If $500 pledge, being friends with a PoT owner, or a minimum of some 150k+(lot, house and taxes) are required to join a segmented region - then it sounds more like a county club than a part of the map.

Leelu likes this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I agree with this 100%, and while I'm not 100% sure about this, I think the Mages were still planned to go away completely at some point, weren't they?

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

#1.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Devs said in the last hangout that they plan on adding 'travel scenes' for all boat travel, this includes 'encounters' that will require fighting or some such as you take passage on a boat. This should alleviate your worries, because taking a boat is not meant to be instant travel, nor necessarily easier than navigating a control point.

#2.) If you look at any of the official maps of Novia, they all clearly show the route to the Hidden Vale coming from Brittany, and not Adoris. (though originally it was Port Graff, the current iteration of the map shows a line coming straight out of Brittany.) I believe Ardoris is the current connection point for one reason only.. because Brittany hasn't been added to the game yet. I suppose Ardoris will not be nearly so favorable a location when it doesn't lead anywhere (until a future episode reveals it has a route to a new continent.) ;-D

11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Not to my knowledge.

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why is there a need for Hidden Vale to have a segregated economy from Ardoris in the first place?

Leelu likes this.
  13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The topic is maintaining consistency for travel between regions, not the implications of lot availability on regional economy.

14. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I did not hear this and hope it is the case. It certainly would alleviate concerns. I just hope it's planned for game launch so we don't enhance the current dominating trend of Owls Head commerce before the free travel between Ardoris and HV is resolved.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Noric

Noric Avatar

I would argue that the topic itself is widely irrelevant in terms of "placeholder assets". Do we really need to be complaining about the free boat while a unidirectional moongate exists in OH? It sounds like the devs might have some future fixes already for the boat, similar to the possibility of Brit potential becoming the world hub after implementation.

Leelu likes this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

All regions need a broad range of adventuring scenes from 1 skull areas to 5 skull areas. There should be no "starter area" per se, because not everyone wants to be a warrior. Some people simply want to chop wood or pick cotton and make a living crafting.

Elwyn, Quenton, Leelu and 6 others like this.
  17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It is an irritating country club. There is a false "economy" in owls head as its still the best place to sell mob trash for twice the price. I'd live more fully in my region (when its finished) if I didn't need to decide everytime I do a loot haul if I should go home or go where Ill get 2x the gold.

Back on topic!

Since you can make such good cash in Owls Head the toll to Novia is sounding better and better.

18. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Yes, I do or I wouldn't have posted it. My OP also addresses the lunar gates issue you mentioned.

While I agree HV may need more row lots, I'd suggest you post a new thread for it so it gets its own unique consideration.

19. Noric

Noric Avatar

Went and reread your OP section on gates. I was more referring to the fact that the devs have stated that the OH gate is not meant as a long term asset. The reason I keep mentioning the "off-topic" subject is that I consider parallel implementation of fixes to that to be necessary to properly fixing the related regional transit.

While a weight limit on gates makes sense, why apply it to boats? I mean they are used for shipping so a stowage fee for weight over a set amount would make more sense.

Leelu likes this.
  20. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Research and studies on regional economic resiliency here: http://brr.berkeley.edu/economic-resilience/

Key findings that may be relevant to this topic (and any Portalarium decisions):
    • Regions focused on manufacturing and with a poorly educated population are both more likely to suffer from and rebound quickly from an economic downturn.
    • Regions that have many export industries are more resilient to employment downturns.
    • The greater the income gaps between rich and poor, the more likely the region is to lose jobs during economic shocks and the longer it will take to recover. Yet, it is also more resilient to downturns in gross metropolitan product.
    • Responding with new policies after a regional downturn is less effective than insulating a region against downturns.
    I'll repeat my previous statement: Regional economies require inter-regional travel to sustain themselves. Making this more difficult will HURT regional economies, not help them.

Feel free to read though the linked site for pretty much any information needed on the matter.

@DarkStarr @RichardGarriott

Leelu and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.