Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thoughts on mages

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by zzerzonat, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzerzonat

zzerzonat Avatar

I play for the earth mage and after disabling the Root spell the investment in all mage skills seem useless. With the amount of current interruptions the spell earthquake lvl 70+ just does not worth of being included in a deck. The obsidian arrow does not seem to deal any damage and "armor penetration" looks like a joke. The only spell that can deal damage in PvE is stone first because it does not have a cast time. All defense spells and skills look like a joke. Wearing clothes armor, wand and shield with Defence Stance, light armor avoidance glyph and sheilds deflect allows you to run away sometimes but the damage coming from archers makes fighting against 2+ impossible.

Quenton, Time Lord and Beaumaris like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

That is NOT all mages that is the Earth tree and all because Root got shut off? :p it because was way WAY overpowered?

And all the spells you say are not worth anything seem to be working just fine for me. :) My Dexer uses Earth for it str boost,:D and EQ is AWSOME for crowd control. ;)Obs Arrow is insane stacked as another ranges skill with my archer . . .

So sorry I don not see your negatives? ;) How is your attunement? What are you other skills, stats, buffs?

If what you see isn't working change some skills, stats, . . . .o_O

Sorry Root was you single leg to stand on:rolleyes: but need to be a little more diverse they work just fine :cool:

stratigos likes this.
  3. agra

agra Avatar

Yep, NPC archers continue to be the most dangerous foe's you'll face, regardless of armor. The effects and damage of ranged skill are incredibly powerful compared to any other school/tree/magic.
    Eventually, it'll come down to nerf archers or buff everything else. History has taught me which side of the roof that particular egg is going to fall...

Also, all crowd control will continue to be broken/OP until the crowd control resist buff gets fixed.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I've had incredible difficulty in combat since fire/death got nerfed. I never really used root, so can't comment on how effective that was (apparently, it was brokenly overpowered). I've been using earth/water/sun and it's okay, but man, I wish I could go back to taking on red spiders and similar.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Leelu like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

You do realize that the root spell not working is a bug, right? Should be fixed in this morning's patch. The only change that actually happened to root is that will have it's duration reduced by 1 second per 25 strength of the target. This is for PVP and PVE.

6. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

@Chris , anyway broken or not, archer mages are using disabling shot + ice Arrow that is a better way to immobilize the monsters and the players without the possibility to counter it !
    Disabling shot and ice Arrow have their effects stacked (or combined) so at the end you cant move at all, the bad thing is that you have no possibility to counter it in pvp and not to mention its working great on bosses...
    That sort of "combo" is way too overpowered... Can you just make them "one replace the other" and not stacking (or combining) ?

Im not in the combat scrum, it certainly has already mentioned somewhere, i dont know... Anyway, the "combo" of those 2 creates a real inbalance...
    I hope you see what i mean....

Keep up the good work!

stratigos and Time Lord like this.
  7. Varinka

Varinka Avatar

Do you have any advices?
    I am playing a pure mage with water and earth too. I stopped using root some time ago and I am doing ok most of the time. EQ, stone fist and obsidian arrow are really cool but now I am trying to fight elite skeleton archers and have big problems. They interupt my casting, especially EQ and moonbeams. If there are more then 2 archers I can only try to get away. Most of the time I try to lure one or two away and kill the with ice arrow and obsidian arrow. But its difficult to lure them away so I am dying a lot. I testet a lot of defensiv glyphs from light armor, shields and so but I found none of them really helpfull. Air Shield is nice but the archers make so much damage that my focus pool empties in seconds.

8. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Dont fight archers from distance, come close to them and spam earth fists. Stop fleeing !

9. Varinka

Varinka Avatar

Yes thats the normal way I would fight them. But it doesn't work. 2 Archers and +some other Skeletons just make too much damage for me. I have 400 HPs and they make 40-50 points damage per arrow, sometimes more. I make sometimes more than 100 damage but they just keep shooting like machine guns. No way to stop them. Moonbeams are good, root too but even when casting root I got disrupted. EQ would be really good in this circumstances because of the damage and the stun, but even if I can cast it the stun don't seem to do much. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

mmh .... no no nothing wrong there, maybe add some fire spells and defensive stance, try to stack the glyphs. Make archers your priority target, they must go down quickly.

11. agra

agra Avatar

That might be a viable tactic if ALL melee attacks interrupted archers/mages. But as they don't, what's the value in closing? So you can die closer to them? :)

Fister Magee likes this.
  12. Varinka

Varinka Avatar

If you have a deck with lots of unlocked slots and glyphs like stone fist or ice fist you can make a lot of damage in a very short time. You can kill a lot of things like that before they even know what hit them. But that doesn't work for mobs with lots of hitpoints.

Vesper Merchant likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Earthquake has a pretty high stunr ate and can hurt.
    Obsidian arrowhas a chance to ignroe armor, which means things with shields and such have a harder time blocking it.
    Root was too strong and now a creature's strengh stat is a factor in how easy it is o root. Hard stuff cant be rooted.
    Earth magic is designed to work well with warrior types in heavy armor, and gets stronger with your STRENGTH stats as well as intelligence.
    Your shield isnt going to be as effective if you dont have high strength.
    Attunment also makes a big diference

Gurney2 likes this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The value in closing is that you can attack them. Earth magic is defense and melee focused.
    Using a skill tree that only has 1 ranged attack and 2 melee attacks, your not effective at range.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

As a single player, taking on two elite archers at your level will always = oOoOoooOooOo :rolleyes: I would get s summons or a pet to take on the second one or your primary target to help out.

Undead Summons don't eat up Focus but their health Decays, And Obs Bear (the best pet avail "feasibly") prob won't survive but might get you enough time to take them down and then you can res it? Other summons eat up ALOT of focus so until you have that licked (train focus) they may not help a mage.

Best advice do NOT take on two or more Elite Archers, sorry they are just too hard for you at this time :-(

16. Varinka

Varinka Avatar

Focus is not a problem. I am running out of glyphs long before I run out of focus. I don't draw the gylphs fast enought. I hoped Mind wipe would the solve the problem but it didn't. Now I am experimenting with chaotic feedback. It's getting better now. Summons are a nice distraction but die so fast. Are the undead summons better than the earth elemental?

17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The undead summons die on their own over time, but they seem to hit hard. The Chaos Demon is pretty good at staying alive so far, heals fast too.

18. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I don't have any spells at level 70 yet and i can take on packs of archers as a Wizard, you just can't stand there, you have to actually move around and use some tactics on the ai, I must admit to being frustrated by the targeting issues though, that is the biggest hurdle for me, getting my silly little avatar to target the enemy i want. I feel like I'm fighting O'malley from Red vs Blue.

LadyGray and Oninoshiko like this.
  19. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Question:

Release notes state:
    • Reducing the duration on all move speed debuff skills based on strength of the target by 1 second per 50 strength.
    Is it reduced by 25 or 50??? 25 would seem to make more sense.

@Chris

agra likes this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

From a melee and archer perspective, the duration of the lower level root is not all that helpful if the enemy is free before one can activate the next skill. All it does is delay a mob getting in melee range for a brief moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.