Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Macroing

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haz

Haz Avatar

Wow, played earlier today and when I got off I saw there was an update, so I ran the update.....it contained the alterations that Chris mentioned doing.

I would kill a blue creature and gain 100-200 exp points. None I'm loosing 100's of points. Not a 100, but hundreds of points. My toon is at that point where he can battle with one elf in Greymark and its a 40/60 (I'm the 40, elf the 60) that I will survive the battle. I'm loosing 100's of points here as well.

I'm gonna log back in and change my setup some, looks like I'm gonna have to lock down alot of skills, and if that's the case, I don't know how much I'll be playing. God I hope I'm wrong here. I sure don't wanna have to battle for an hour just to get enough points to go out and train on critters for 30 minutes.

I'll let ya know what happens.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I sure wonder why Chris is being so extremist in his changes... 2x would have been fine for testing purposes, why did we need to go to 4x already ?

I guess they'll be collecting stats and adjusting as we go...

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

rofl! this is great

Haz likes this.
  4. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

I think this was a bandaid fix for the testing period due to a lot of folks having gained or still gaining at 4x XP. I'm pretty sure they will retune it after final wipe.

5. Haz

Haz Avatar

LOL, hahHaHAAhAaaHaHhhA

Oh good lord.

6. Haz

Haz Avatar

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Come on folks. This is a major impediment to training. Before the change, 100,000 EXP would (demo purposes only) give you 10 skill gains costing 10,000 per gain. After the change, 100,000 EXP would give you only 2.5 skill gains at 40,000 cost per gain. Tell me now how this fixes anything? We are never going to be able to gain enough experience to raise a reasonable amount of skills in a reasonable time. We will be applying 4 times more exp to each skill to bump it up 1 and remain earning our EXP at the same rate. I don't have real number yet, but to raise ONE skill (healthy) 4 points cost me almost 200,000 EXP today. This is the only skill set to increase. I fought blue targets for three hours at a very fast rate to do this, killing hundreds. Now if I was to set 4 skills to raise, it would take me 12 hours of continuous play to increase each one point. Is that what every one is so happy about?

Ice Queen, Leelu and Moonshadow like this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm not "so happy" about it, but the harder it is, the happier I get. Still unhappy about the broader issue here, but hey at least something in the math is changing due to feedback, in a transparent way, thats a first.

You had to expect this was coming... no way we're going to have a final wipe and people gm all their skills in 2 weeks... whats the goal ?

Noone should play for a week and have any GM :p

Fister Magee and Tahru like this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I agree with you in many respects.... a lot in fact. However, the game is supposed to be a 40hr. event. Now, I don't like that, but they are on the one hand saying that you should take a year to be able to stand head to head with the big mobs, and on the other they say you can complete the game in 40 hours with basically no skills. I don't want a game that can be done from start to finish in 40 hours, the implication being it will be a pretty easy process. If skill advancement is reserved for MMP play boxing, then as an SPO player, I am going to miss a whole lot of fun. I sincerely hope quests will require training to complete and doubt that training can be done in 40 hours.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That is the offline version right? I assume that the long slow experience gain will be limited to the online game.

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That makes sense... but yea 40 hours... I dunno about that sometimes I really don't understand...

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Speaking from memory here, there was discussion about the 40 hr. statement awhile back. I am pretty sure that the implication was that even online the story could be completed in the same time frame. Sorry I am not good at looking up specifics like this. Thus my theory that it will not take any skill progression to complete the story. Odd the vast attention being paid to a portion of the game that is so removed from the story line. I guess skill advancement serves the RP community and preserves the atmosphere needed to support future episodes. Perhaps story line development is absorbing even more attention that we cannot see without ruining the game.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok People keep saying gust balls do not matter, it is not a big deal, not much affect . . . . . .

The there are comments made Play the Game not Game the system.

here is simple Mindless training on a gust ball, another argument is I earned my Exp why not let me spend it how I want, on what I want. And then we go into macroing (which I was not doing in this video) which can be simply accomplished by a Key Stroker.

Now here I burn thru about 20 K exp really quick, thanks to the boost to exp use which = faster training.

now my argument is simple if it is NOT such a big deal then why don't we just make it so the Gust Ball can ONLY be used in the Game that it was designed for, And make training dummies and the like ONLY work up to say level 20. What is the harm.

They are Never going to stop players from making Exp the most expeditious way (easiest / fastest) and that even opens up a market for players to get paid to train skills for others.

I will go back out and train and fight and turn of a lot more skills to gain more exp than I am using in a few but????

BTW this video is Gaming the System :-(

Tahru and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I think what was meant is that the storyline for the game can be possibly be completed in 40 hours - in the same sense that the 'game story' in Skyrim can be completed in a couple of days - but there is a huge amount more to the online game, the social elements and the in-game economy being tips of the iceberg. There's no 'game' at all in Ultima Online, in the sense of a simple to finish 'task', but 18 years on people are still playing it.

15. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

Personally I feel like it's giving me more control over how I level my skills. I don't have to spend quite so much time on those pesky hard to level ones.

@Chris

16. Dumdidum

Dumdidum Avatar

So far i havent seen ANY reason why anyone would like to cheat, anyway.
    In WoW i can see the point of being the king of the Hill because there are many end game activities that require you to be as tough as can be (raids, pvp, battlegrounds).

But what exactly is the "endgame" for SOTA?

Raids are non existent.
    Pvp is not needed to get better gear, or standing with a faction, or gaining control of keeps like Daoc had.
    And no mobs in game, like bosses you could solo, drop anything worth getting 30x GM for that fast.

So basically, if you "cheat" you are done with the game very fast, and after that there is nothing you can use your GM skills on.

Or am i missing something ?

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

18. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Mac3roing i4s lik5e th6e l7ast th8ing som0eon1e ca2n d3o in 4 a g5ame 6.

To everyone its own...if it makes them happy, its their game experience. But I am not PvPer that seeks competition like you do, so its said easy for me.

But there could be a middle solution. You like PvP...they like to leave their PC...why not farm them while being AFK like other games do it. That way you could stop them yourself and even enjoy it. Let them do that AFK thing only when in accessible areas to everyone. So that would result in them coming back to find their corpse and make the AFKing a little more chance depending.

PvPers happy...while keeping your promise to the macro-people.

19. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Remembers me of the afk-fishers or afk-mages on ships in old UO. Stealing their loot was fun and being AFK was not that cool anymore *bg

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Moonshadow and Tahru like this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

So apparently xp wasnt being applied proportionately as intended until yesterday.

It is no longer possible to Macro on a gustball to get ahead.

Good Day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.