Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Skill and Xp Gains

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Whyterose Flowers, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Since our skills now gain faster than our xp, I am level 71 and cannot gain xp anymore. There are no higher tier zones than level 5 and Elder Wolves are green to me now. Am I suppose to lock all my skills now and build up my adventure xp pool to then train on a gustsball? Bad idea...

I have turned off all inates now and have very few skills set to raise.

I guess I will just play until I run out of xp, and then wait until this issue is resolved.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. agra

agra Avatar

Evidently this is working as intended? I don't think this is going to go over very well with the gaming public on July 28th, 2016.

3. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Turn off more skills? @Themo Lock is at what lvl? You don't need a gutsball you could just turn everything off and when u have a bit of a pool turn something to train again and keep killing the same stuff? A gust ball will never get u gold or resources... I REALLY don't see how people come to the conclusion that gust ball gives u any kind of advantage

4. gracy

gracy Avatar

I never used a gustball from r26, but i'm thinking it should be something not working at the best in the balance "use of xp vs gaining of xp", after some adv level (i'm 71 also), is quite impossible to raise xp pool, even with almost all skills closed

5. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Micro managing skills is crazy, who wants to play something where they have to lock skills and unlock them to gain xp. This recent development happened because the devs thought it was a good idea to make skills gain faster than xp.

6. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Level 95, and micromanaging skills is the only way to see xp gains right now. Turn em all off, build of a good pool using your daily 4x for a week or so.
    The other trick I use is only spend xp while earning xp. I only unlock skills when my 4x is running now (I already have a good size pool).

The issue I see with this whole system is spending quicker than earning when not running 4x. The way I would have implemented these changes would have been; If you are earning 4x, then you spend at 4x. If your earning at a normal rate then you spend at a normal rate.
    Instead, as it is, we are earning at 4x sometimes and 1x (or 2x whatever) sometimes, but always spending at 4x now.

No gustballs are necessary, your skills will level quickly just killing normal things now. The gustballs were never the issue people made them out to be. The problem was guys couldn't spend the xp in their pools by killing things. Most stuff dies so quickly I barely get to use any attack glyphs, it'd take me weeks to spend my pool on baddies, running thru Deep Ravenswood 60 times a day!

My only consolation is I like micromanaging my skills, but I could totally see how others wouldn't.

7. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

My Skills are leveling quicker now, however I am losing so much XP out of my Adventurer XP pool it cant keep up and I am almost out of Adventurer XP now. I am glad someone likes to micro manage their xp gains, I however do not. IF this system stays as is, I hope there is a tutorial that will explain this insane process to new players.

Equiptech, Cianna, Manerd and 6 others like this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Even if your not accumulating pooled xp, your skills still go up as you kill things.

There is no skill cap but as you get more skills to higher levels, you will eat up experience faster. Locking skills you dont need to advance anymore helps.

Not having xp in your experience pool means you are putting the xp directly into skills when you kill something, with no excess leftover to pool.

While this is basically the intent, there will likely be some adjusting to xp earned vs xp usedbefore final wipe.

But macroing on a gustball (or training dummy if they create them) is not as efficient as killing stuff anymore, because excess experience is more scarce. And, at a certain level threshold, ultimately non-existant unless u lock your skills

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Check the player resources forum. I didnt know so many people thought the xp pool was neccessary to advance skills.

Theres a explenation hidden in there somewhere but ill see if ican make a quick simple post about it if i cant find one

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Managing active/inactive skills is one of the core abilities any SotA player must learn to cope with.

I guess there's no way around that, with a progressive use-based skill system.

Kvow Triumvir and Jivalax Azon like this.
  11. Shield

Shield Avatar

Cross posting this here as it demonstrates Whyterose is correct :

1. XP is Broken

Game is unplayable due to inability to meaningfully advance skills. Gathering or crafting are the most reliable and easily demonstrable example :

Producer level 49

Mining Proficiency 88

Swift Gathering - Mining 85

Meticulous Collection - Mining 66

Survey - Mining 27

A successful harvesting attempt generates 500 XP (much less for crystals). Lower level skills the math and logic seem at first sight feasible ie :

with Survey - Mining (lvl 27) being the only skill set to raise we can see that each Mining attempt costs 68 XP whether we are successful or not. So with one skill only set to raise at lvl 27 we need a 13.6% success rate. But thats with only one skill set to raise and at a low lvl. Success chance starts out around 10%.

However when we see how much it costs to level the other skills the problem is immediately apparent. In the following three cases each xp cost per attempt is given with the skill next to it being the only one set to rise :

Mining Proficiency (88) - 2160 xp

Swift Gathering Mining (85) - 2082 xp

Meticulous Collection - Mining (66) - 2056 xp

Remember each successful attempt only generates 500 Producer XP 10-70% of the time, failures giving zero. So even a successful attempt produces a net loss of around 1600 Producer XP.

These numbers suggest the problem is not skills costing x 4 more than they should but x8 or x 12.

It is much more difficult to give exact numbers of Adventuring XP (every use of a skill, eg swing of a sword without using a skill or use of a healing spell takes Adventuring XP away even if zero skills are set to raise) but I can state that it is just as broken and just as unplayable.

This only came about a few days ago when the x 4 XP thing was introduced.

SUGGESTION - back out the change made to XP usage immediately.

Whyterose Flowers and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Created a new character, well fairly new he's adv 20 - using dual daggers with him so I'm getting more swing attempts, but to give you an idea - I killed 2 grizzly bears which con yellow to me. I have 1 skill turned on "bladed combat" at 48.

Went from 10,657 adventure xp to 9,610 xp after killing the first bear, then 9,610 to 8,219 after the 2nd bear. As a new player if you're going to be running into the negative right off the bat I'd say make the skills default to 'not training' when you buy them.

If all the skills were locked by default this might get folks into the habit of training a few skills at a time?

Turned on a few more skills (healthy, thrust and swiftness) and I'm down to 4679 xp after killing a few more bears and healing myself, etc. Pretty rough.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

Producer skills were set to spend 2-4x faster as part of r26. That compounded with the recent 4x increase which is why these numbers are so notable.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The more i think about it (tho it needs some adjustments) the more i realize howfreakin cool this exp pool system is.

it basically has the ability to make you gain less skill for doinging easy things, more skill for harder things. And makes spamming a skill outside of a fight something non-benificial.

15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

What is this misinformation?

16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ummm.. it is... you need xp in the pool, or no xp gets spent into the skill being used.

that is, unless something really drastic changed... and noone told me.

17. agra

agra Avatar

Agreed. I have suggested this myself in the past, and that suggestion was not well received. :|

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

im at work and dont have time to explain yet. But you always gain xp when u kill something. And soon as you use a skill, its consumed. So your always able to gain skill even without xp in your pool.

Lord Baldrith and Womby like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

When you kill something you gain XP. Some of that XP is put straight into advancing skills (depending on what skills you are currently advancing) and any left over is put into your XP pool.
    If there is none left over, then none will be put into your XP pool. It will all go into skill advancement. An empty XP pool is no big deal, and only becomes important if you want to use gustballs or you want to advance beyond level 80 (at which point the amount transferred into skill points with each kill increases with the size of your XP pool).

EDIT: If you have multiple GMs then it is possible that most of the XP gained from a kill will go towards maintaining those skills, and everything else will advance r e a l l y s l o w l y.
    I do not recommend advancing beyond level 80 unless you have a special reason for wanting to do so.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Acred and Lord Hettar Fimbultyr like this.
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you are not managing your skills then all your worries or your own fault, sorry.

You are going to HAVE to manage your skills when the game launches or you are toast.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.