Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

XP is broken / Remove Producer XP / Delay Final Wipe

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Shield, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shield

Shield Avatar

Yes I read everything the team have to say thoroughly. I could be wrong but I believe the primary objective of the timing of the final wipe is to encourage people to come back and play the game and stick with it ? My main motivation in sharing is the long term success of the game. I am suggesting that having final wipe before more content is implemented will have the opposite effect and will also be detrimental to the long term success of the game.

I understand this and apologize that my choice of language was poor.

Believe it or not I am one of the people who has been extremely careful in managing my XP. Before this last weeks change I was sitting at 150,000 pooled Producer XP and 50,000 pooled Adventurer XP. I have not been profligate.

My contention is this : until a reasonable cap having only one skill set to raise should generate a surplus of XP upon successful use.

Remember crafters are forced to garner producer xp by gathering resources.

Right now to generate enough pooled xp for one crafting attempt (fail or succeed is irrelevant) you have to turn off all skills from raising and have four successful gathering attempts. Remember this is far from 100% success rate, so in reality you need to have 6-12 attempts. So you need to be spending anything from 3-8 minutes actually gathering, with skill turned off, to generate enough pooled xp for one single crafting attempt with one single skill set to raise.

tldr : at mid levels plus it requires 5-10 minutes gathering with zero skills set to rise for every single crafting attempt with one single skill set to raise.

I would respectfully ask that people who contribute to the debate have at least a few hours testing under their belt of the game in the state it has been for the last few days.

All I am suggesting with regard to the XP system is that it be backed out to the state it was in a week ago.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

Thanks for your impressive feedback.

I would add to this particular point that the respawn rate is, from my point of view, to high.

Korim Rackham and Magosa like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is the case for me as well. Having armor apssives and primary weapon skill above 80 skill level put a massive drain on expereince (because your getting 2 high elvel skill checks every time you are hit, and 1 high elvel check every time you hit soemthing, plus they use more exp than other skills). I locked those 3 skills and i sit right at 50% with all other skills beign at a high level.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i dotn think it's all of the inante skills. So far ive jsut noticed primary weapon skills and armor passive skills suckign up mroe experience than others

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I no longer recall much dev info on this because i've missed the last 2 hangouts, But i do know they want to find a way to make it difficult to jsut stand at a table and GM your crafting skill by spamming the Craft button. And that has been the biggest delay in determining how experience is gained through Crafting.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The xp rate change was neccessary in order to begin beign able to balance incomign and outgoing eperience. It is ideal to maintain a relativly low (comapred to people accumualtign milliosn fo xp before) experience pool so that setting your guy up to auto-swing in a safe area becomes inefficient. But there are some skilsl that seem like they need to be balanced out to avoid compeltely draining all your experience (im gonan turn my two armro passives and primary weapon skilsl back on today and test killing thigns my own level)

Also, if you use your weapont o do alot of your damage, turn off Auto-attack. High burst damage will yield better pooeld experience than quick-smaller damage. (this will be more visually comforting if you desire to se emroe exp in yoru pool, but the rate at which you gain skills should not change once the equilibrium is reached)

7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

50% has no meaning because the pool does not have a set maximum. I assume you mean the visualization of the bars, but that is variable. The bar can be at 50% at 25,000 or at 250,000. It really doesn't mean anything, you need to look at the actual number of points in the pool

8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

See this post: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-towns-player-run-towns-and-water-lots.46411/

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Hmm. It has never been the intent for resource collection to come without risk.

10. agra

agra Avatar

The thing is, unless you use the active skills, they don't do anything. As in, you have to press a button on an active skill for it to use XP.
    Just having it set to training does nothing. But with innates, every swing, hit, miss, attack, defense, etc all draws from the pool.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Armor passive skills go up every time you take a hit, and the primary weapon skilsl go up every tiem you hit something
    I am currently testing with ALL skills unlocked, and im still able to maintain a healthy amount of experience ein my pool. So i take back what i said about weapon skill and armor passives being an issue.

Miracle Dragon and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I currently am not able to keep experience in my pool. However, I think I've overeaten on skills, and come R29 I'll be paring down a bit:

Light Armor

Dodge - 20/Maintain
    Swiftness - 92/Maintain
    Acrobatics - GM(100)/Maintain

Earth Magic

Stone Fist - 60 and set to Maintain
    Obsidian Arrow - 60 / Maintain
    Root - 50 / Maintain
    Earth Attunement - 80/Maintain
    Bulwark of Earth - 60/Maintain
    Sympathy of Stone - 60/Maintain
    Strength of Earth - 40/Maintain
    Earthquake - 30 / Training

Water Magic

Ice Fist - 60/Maintain
    Ice Arrow - 60/Maintain
    Douse - 10/Maintain
    Water Attunement - 75/Training
    Ice Field - 10/Maintain
    Shield of Ice - 40/Maintain
    <ice effectiveness skill> - 40/Maintain
    <Healing Rain?> - 30/Training
    Water Elemental - 10/Maintain (once elementals increase in power and strength with skill level and attunement, I'll start training this)

Life Magic

Healing Touch - 60/Maintain
    Life Attunement - 33/Training
    Purify - 23/Training

Sun Magic

Light - 37/Maintain

==================
    I have other skills trained in the above trees, but I'm currently un-training them (double-down arrow) as I do not use them. Similarly, doing the exact same thing for the Fire Magic skills that I started with.
    ==================

I think that a fair portion of the problem resides in having to maintain skills that I do not use in order to gain access to skills that I do use.

As mentioned in another thread, It would be nice if Attunement became the pre-requisite for magic skills, and similarly the base weapon skill in a tree (Blades, Bludgeon, etc) became the pre-requisite for weapon skills. It would simplify the number of skills needed in order to do a la carte skill building.

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I don't see the reason to use maintain yet. You still don't lose levels with lock at the moment. May save you some exp.

Innates from 80 to 90 can drain a million. 90 to 100 drain 2.2 million.

Everything before 80 is light on the exp required. Skills use less than innates for the most part.

Biggest drain comes from stat innates level 80+

agra, Fister Magee and Moonshadow like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Jack Knyfe Are all of your points beign fed into maintaining skills? cuz that should only happen when you die (i lsoe about 2k XP if i die once a day)

15. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I'll need to turn everything to maintain and then check after a control point run.

Miracle Dragon and EMPstrike like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The ammount they drain is dependant on the ammoutn of experience you have in your pool. If you have 10,000 experience pooled, it drains about half the experience it does if you have 30,000 experience pooled

17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

There is still an absolute value associated with how much exp is required per level. It increases by roughly 10% per level. If you have endless exp you will then hit the minimum number of uses required per level. There seems to be no maximum number of uses to level but it can get really high if your pool is non existant.

Your pool size will determine how many uses you need of any given skill to fill that 1 million exp but no matter what you are spending 1 million (80 to 90).

I have 6 skills at 99, 4 innates at 99, 2 skills at 90 and 4 innates at 90.

Last release I hit 90 grinding the spider cave and I've hit 90 again this release grinding the ghost corpion.

I'm down to 4.4 million exp saved up from 13.5 million. Once you can kill the corpion you can just build a pool for testing purposes.

At level 100+ there are some players who have 2x as much exp as I have had to spend. Its really insane ;)

18. agra

agra Avatar

Surely you're not claiming that the smaller the pool, the smaller the XP required to get from 90 to 100 skill?
    That would mean that it's in a players best interest to have the smallest possible pool, when skilling up. Is that really what you're trying to say? o_O

19. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

I think I would agree with Kara here. We already have considerable risk just getting to a node, but to add the really long gathering timers doesn't make this riskier, it just makes it an annoyance to have the mob constantly respawn on top of you while you try and gather. The risk should be in getting there. It will give you that, "Whew I just made it and now I get my prize." feeling.

As to needing groups to attain resources, I can see a whole host of issues in that area. First, and largest, is the gold farmers locking down resources for other players that will only add frustration and annoyance. Then you have the advantage of larger guilds squeezing out other players and inflating prices through the roof. Next, how does that work in Single player online mode or a duo of friends in friends only play mode; they won't have a chance? Rarety of a few resources is one thing I can understand, but if all resources are treated this way, then crafting does not become fun and rewarding. I think you currently already have a gate in for rarety in resource gathering with special components and a small chance for them to drop. That still gives incentive with enough annoyance at bad luck with the RNG to not completely get frustrated with the game.

Perhaps making some rarer resources with greater quantity or better chances of obtaining come from group target mobs could enhance guild play without hurting the casual or starting players.

kateonline1 likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

oooo nono im saying the smaller your XP pool is, the less experience your skills pull out of it

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.