1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Breast Cancer Charity Feedback

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by dallas, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Which section in the Make a Difference store are you referring to? Every description of the Countach items that were added to the store last night has included this paragraph which states the charity choice (i.e. Breast Cancer Research Foundation):

"By purchasing this item, you are helping to make a difference in the lives of those with breast cancer and their families. The proceeds will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, an organization that works to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime by providing critical funding for innovative clinical and translational research at leading medical centers worldwide, and increasing public awareness about good breast health."

Sean Silverfoot, Gaelis, Mata and 3 others like this.
  2. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Just the first page of the Make a Difference Store. The confusion happened because the first charity (water.org) is listed as "Water.org Charity", which tells you the charity supported right off the bat. For Autism Awareness, it follows the same pattern as the Breast Cancer charity. So, the fault is not with the listing of BCRF in the descriptions, but with a misperception on my end (as well as my friend) by thinking that the charity was listed on the main page of the Make a Difference listing.

To be perfectly clear, I was reading the site wrong. Perhaps the wording on "Water.org Charity" could be changed to "Clean Water Charity", or something similar, to keep it in line with the other two current offerings on the page?

Again, I fault no one but myself for the confusion.

3. dallas

Good recommendation. I've changed the Water.org category to read "Safe Water Charity" (which is terminology direct from the Water.org website).

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@dallas

for each charity in the make-a-difference store, please add a "make a donation" item. sometimes we want to support the charity but want nothing you're offering.

if it's a small amount, like $5, anyone donating can simply purchase mutiples to get the amount they want to give.

5. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You had me at "breast".

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Each does have a link and you can donate directly, however it doesnt support SotA then.

I do think having a $5 option for each charity would be nice, even if it gives nothing in-game. There are lots of us who want to support both SotA and charities.

8. Browncoat Jayson

@dallas

One thing I noticed about the Countach Phonograph that is different from Ornate Metal Phonograph is that the ornate version comes with a wax cylinder, while the charity version does not (at least, it is not noted that it does). While I would hope that anyone who bought it would also spring for the album cylinders, would it be possible to include a blank cylinder so it is immediately usable even they don't buy anything else?

(I don't think it needs to be a Countach Pink cylinder, but it would be even cooler if it was!)

Thanks!

HoustonDragon likes this.
  9. dallas

Without thinking it through thoroughly, a dev member did bundle the only other Shooter Jennings game soundtrack that we have as a wax cylinder with the Countach phonograph. Unfortunately, as soon as others of us learned that soundtrack is called "Death" and is the death-theme heard in-game whenever you die, we felt that was an inappropriate choice to bundle with a Breast Cancer Charity item. We removed the "Death" wax cylinder from the phonograph, and replaced it with the same wax cylinder we include in the Ornate Metal Phonograph, "Karelia's Song - instrumental" by David "Iolo" Watson. We've already sold about 60 of the phonographs with the Death soundtrack included, but it will be swapped with Karelia's Song starting with today's patch. Those that already received the Death wax cylinder will keep it until the next wipe.

I'll update the Store text to state the inclusion of Karelia's Song with the Countach Phonograph.

10. dallas

This is an interesting idea...we'll noodle on it!

Stahlknecht, Shortina, Acred and 5 others like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Hmm, I kind of like the Death one, but I can totally understand why it isnt appropriate. I just wanted to make sure that a cylinder was included, which you already do. Thanks!

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

My mom is a BC survivor. This is a very dear charity effort to me.

13. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

As a quick update... He passed away this afternoon. His battle and suffering are over now, he can finally rest in peace.

14. Godra

Godra Avatar

@dallas

I thank you for sharing the info and how you come to the choice of the charity. You have my two thumbs up!!!

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

16. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

So yesterday we had the funeral service of my step-brother (that's from my step-father's side of the family), today we had a somewhat unexpected visit of my dad and his second wife... To inform us she has breast-cancer, and it has spread... Thursday they'll do an MRI to see how far it's spread... :(

17. dallas

So sorry to hear that :(

Duchess Fionwyn and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  18. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

“I will share your joy and sorrow / Till we’ve seen this journey through.”
    Paul Kalanithi, When Breath Becomes Air

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  19. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

The Doctors just found a lump in my chest last week and I myself am currently undergoing tests for this right now and with the current symptoms I have thing's aren't looking good.

Edit update: Thank you all, I just received some further results this morning and the latest results look really positive, with the Doctors now advising it's extremely unlikely to be cancerous. This has been one hell of a scare.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Good luck! I hope they've found it early enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.