Suggestion : Collectors Club (subscription)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shield, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

You could also get a lot of everything else for that money.

I know, I'm being myself again...for me, that "programming skill" would be a person, living breathing person. Hiring people for a certain goal seems the way to go in the business...yet I couldnt work with 100% commitment when I'd knew I'd get fired at release. You got a few thousand people waiting for release, while that one person fears the day that he will have to find a new job.

Did I miss the subject and topic? Sorry guys...thats me being myself again ^^

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think what Sir Frank is trying to say is that there's an economic reality and a perception reality to consider.

Economically, I don't know if it makes sense to make 1 item for X people. If it does, I'm all for it. I like the idea.

Perception wise, this idea will definitely make people complain. But yes, they complain already. I feel like the only thing that matters is if we make a great game or not. If it's a great game then none of their complaints matter. If it's a poor game then whatever people (in general) complain about will ring more true after the fact. So I'm all for doing what makes sense and is fun and pushing ahead towards final wipe and eventual launch. I think this idea could be a part of that if the economics works.

The one problem I see with this idea is that not everyone signed up for the "club" is going to like what they get. For example, what if they make three straight months worth of stuff that you love and I hate. Well I'm going to get out of the club. I can't just throw money away on things I hate. So the club would probably need some kind of input system that let the devs know what people wanted and didn't want.

For example, I would really LOVE to get a crystal ball that allowed me to scry on other scenes. I'd pay a lot of money for that! Some other people might want something different. This kind of makes me think that a mini-kickstarter like stretch goal might be in order. Like maybe it takes 100 players to buy into the goal first, and then the devs make that over a period of time? That would be cool. Like crowdfunding of crowdfunding. :)

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would be counted as dissenting if, as @Sir Frank noted, this adversely impacted the development of the core game.

Bodhbh Dearg, Alexander and Sir Frank like this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

1) Deco Club: monthly special deco
    2) Fashion Club: hats and other "wearables"
    3) Crafters Club: special crafting items and/or ingredients
    4) Fight Club: (pun intented) special weapons and armor

Just a thought! :D

5. Drocis the Devious

@RichardGarriott

How about the item with actual functionality club? :)

Crystal Ball that allows you to scry on other scenes without being there!

Bodhbh Dearg, Atogrim and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I do love the crystal ball idea!

7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I am for a subscription for the MMO I choose to play. Why? Because I'm after a game I will enjoy and think that funding is not everything - but it does pay to add to the game - whether depth, functionality or play-space. I don't mind paying monthly (with a lot of other monthly people) to see a game that will evolve and grow faster.

I'm not talking about paying to get actual items in the game, or housing, or whatever, if a monthly fee directly translated to a better game then I'd pay it happily. But....

....because the game is sold as "buy to play" then a subscription as part of the package is out.

So we need a subscription that has some sort of value without it being some sort of advantage.

I wonder what meaningful reason might be given to people who are subscribers that doesn't push away the people who would not play a game that required a subscription? Is there some kind of perk that is a convenience but not necessarily an advantage?

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Mixed feelings about the awards for the "club".

I wouldn't love to split the playerbase in rich have's and poor havenot's. I find it unpleasant. (Yes, even after LOTM at 12K$: in production, there will be very few pledge tiers, so I don't care about one-shot high tiers before Ep1 release.)

On one hand, I wouldn't EVER impose subs to anyone. The game was touted as B2P, and it should stay true to this promise.

On the other, without reasonable incentives, why anyone should fork off $whatever every month?

Well, I'm on the fence. Mind you, I donate $10 monthly to wikipedia, and I have the exact same "rewards" from them as any other freeloader. Just with a monthly "thank you" spam email. And the fuzzy feeling that my oil greases their gears.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would be more than happy to participate in joining a subscription club..........just make sure it's auto renew until cancelled (otherwise it will just be annoying).

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Neon Dye club? :D

Acred and Aldo like this.
  11. Shield

Shield Avatar

I like the idea of 3 clubs, the more financial support for SotA the better.

I don't like the idea of it just being store items. The idea in the OP was to have a 'surprise' reward each month that wouldn't be available for sale once it were unveiled. This would encourage interested parties to stay subscribed each month and be a nice surprise and something to look forward to. That 'kid at Christmas' feel once a month.

If you make it something you can opt into and out of whenever you like their will be no 'reward' for staying subscribed. Many folks and people looking to make $$$ will just opt into the most desirable items and opt out of the less desirable.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. Drocis the Devious

I love surprises, who doesn't love surprises? Until you get another hat and then it becomes "surprise it's another hat!"

I just hope there's some way for the community to give input into something like this. Like "please god no more freakin hats". Otherwise, I'll feel like my money is better put elsewhere.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  13. Curt

Curt Avatar

A club that give items 1-3 months before it will be obtainable by other means?
    So if they plans to make a certain thing craft able people could obtain once copy of it from the club sometime before they put the recepy in.

14. Shield

Shield Avatar

What if it were a hat enchanted with the ability to Recall or Teleport to Friend once a day ? :p That's a bit special so make it one of the bonus '12 month subscribed' items....

Seriously though, if there are three 'clubs' and one is wearables sometimes it's going to be a hat, but you don't have to sub to the 'Wearables Club'. You could subscribe to the 'Deco Club' or the 'Adventuring Club'.

Personally I'm in for all three on at least two accounts. Imagine going to sleep at the end of the month knowing when you wake up you are getting 3 surprise in game items for SotA that won't be available again.

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

So, that tells me that they're planning to put new items in the shop every month anyway. Why not just call it a club?

16. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

My first reaction is that this is an awful idea, I did not respond because according to kickstarter, there would be no monthly fees, and up to now I thought I knew what that meant,
    now apparently it is open to interpretation.

What is next, a lottery system with occasional highly desired prizes (housing lots) that only those who have a subscription can be part of?

Make a great game, which will draw in new folks and funds. Put this idea of a monthly fee on the back-burner for a later episode.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Fister Magee, cobran and Atmosfear like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

My point is simply that 1. we have too many hats and 2. if we're going to make a club that requires real money to get into, we should at least have some kind of cool item that does SOMETHING.

I really just want a crystal ball. Seriously if that was a stretch goal for like 10k I think we could do that.

Bodhbh Dearg and Magosa like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

:) That's probably what they're thinking right now.

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The shop should stay in place anyway. Any 'club' should be a subscription that should give various rewards such as stuff to wear and dyes....this stuff should be unique version. You could also add in titles and other things based upon how long the player has subscribed.

Acred and Ravenclaw like this.
  20. Shield

Shield Avatar

Nystuls Crystal Ball

/swoon

I got it - the third club. Artifacts from History !!!!!

The Blackrock Crystal Ball

Margaretas Crystal Ball

Nystuls Crystal Ball

8 x Virtue Cards

Orb of the Moons

The Codex Coin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.