Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What happens if you XP pool reaches 0?

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just did soem testing because this question was raised.

I tried to deplete my XP pool completely before begining. It was taking a very long time for my bar to compeltely deplete from 2000 xp rapidly usign a bunch of lvl 70-80 skills so i jsut stopepd at about 1600xp.

Its very hard to deplete your XP bar unless you try to, or macro it all away. I went to a low level area consisting of caimans, grey wolves, and bandits. My char is level 64, and i was using over 20 skills, all between 50 and 100, and was unable to deplete my XP pool, even by exclusivly killing grey wolves and newbie level bandits. My XP bar leveled off at around 2,000 and mys kills continued to train, althought they were training extremely slowly (due to their high level)

@Mordakai @Kvow Triumvir

Hope that helps guys

2. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

Cool info, usefull to know.

Leelu likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok I owe EMP an apology , it does appear that somehow even while trying to use my points ALL up and get to 0 I have been hovering around 1 - 2 K, I even wet to Savernoc Stronghold, which is Tier 5 and I can fight for a while using skills, but when critter dies it seems to offset my use.

All I can figure is they have also implemented some kind of % at the bottom end also, if this is happening, I guess it is OK, but.

EMP again Sorry to doubt you but it does appear that if you are actually out Killing critters, Blue or even Yellows and you are fighting them , not just standing there using pointless skills you do seem to plateau at 1 - 2 K

Now I still say that is almost pointless and using skills above 80 is a complete waste of time but actually using AL your points in legitimate fights does appear to be difficult.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

No you dont.

I agree that higher level skills are incredibly slow when your xp bar is this low, but i hope its a reassurance to the folsk who were losing their vast reserves that their skills never technically stop training as long as they kill stuff. The bar in this game is effective as an indicator of whether or not your training skills in an effective manner, which i think is pretty cool

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It makes sense.

Now if the UI reflected that to be a "Skill Gain Modifier" bar instead of an XP bar, new players would instinctively know the higher that bar, the faster their skills gain.

Then, change Adventurer Level to Adventurer Tier and break it up into 20 ranks per Tier. "Tier 6" has more meaning in this game than Level 100+.

Just use the word "Level" for skills and tada! No longer a "level based game."

And for anyone who argues "Semantics!" Well, no kidding. You can't have progression without numbers.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Embrace the moment there EMPstrike. ;)

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ah such an epiphany, and now this another false lead, skills ONLY gain faster with a large Exp Pool - - - - if you are at the point where skills are using a percentage, do go to overboard.

Leelu likes this.
  8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

This. This. This. We really need to have the pooled exp somewhere like the "v" menu, and instead have an iconic representation of this. It is one of the single biggest confusion points in the use based system.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is a fabulous idea imo

10. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

That is not 100% true. Because there is a max number of XP you can gain per use per lvl and skill.

So you would need for each skill this information separate.

4EverLost likes this.
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It's more accurate of a label than XP bar. Just because they limit the amount of arbitrary magic numbers applied to each skill, doesn't change anything. In fact, that's more of a reason to change the name.

12. helm

helm Avatar

OK now here's something that has interested me in pure theoretical sense, it has no practical applications, just curious.

It relates to the question in the subject line "what happens when your xp pool reaches 0?"
    My question is this: does gained XP
    a) get directly applied to the skills, and the remainder goes to the pool,
    or does it
    b) go to the pool first, and from there get applied to the skills, the next time you use (trainable) skills?

The only way (that I can think of) to test this reliably in game is to:
    • First get your pool really to exactly zero - and the only way to do this would be to use a gustball or something similar (that absolutely gives no XP) with trainable high level skills. This is necessary because even lowest level critters give enough xp to make zeroing the pool impossible.
    • Then, when the pool is really at zero, you set all skills to "no train" mode except one, which you set to "train".
    • Then you go and confront exactly one (preferably slightly higher level) enemy with a known xp value (for example an Elder Wolf, the last time I checked, gave 1150 xp).
    • After killing the said enemy, you stop right there and check your pool:
      • is the pool size exactly at the value of the XP reward you'd get from the critter you just killed? (in our elder wolf example, that would be 1150)
      • or is it something slightly lower than that value?

The first answer (pool size exactly the size of reward) would suggest b) as the answer, and the latter one (pool size is slightly lower than the xp reward value) would suggest that the answer is a).

Has anyone actually tested it? :p

Chatele likes this.
  13. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

It goes to the pool first. Tested it way when system was new. Trained on dummy till zero, killed a wolf while using a skill, no progess in skill while killing, got 75 XP after death. After that i could skill a gain till emptY.

helm likes this.
  14. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

How about you just don't kill anything?
    Attack an enemy, use a few skills, but when they're about to die you just run away.
    The level of the mob doesn't even matter since you're not killing it. Do it all over again and you should lose XP pretty quickly.

15. helm

helm Avatar

I'm assuming that you talk about the zeroing of the pool phase.

In theory, that might be possible.
    In practice, I suspect it would prove to be extremely difficult, if we are talking about combat skills, especially high level ones. It is just too easy to accidentally crit-kill something, and then be back to where one started from.
    Spamming some non-combat skill would work too, as long as it does not provide any XP.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  16. helm

helm Avatar

Thanks! Much appreciated.

17. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Yes, that's what I was on about.

My comment comes from the observation of the fact that certain skills drain your XP pool even if you are not actively using them, for example if you try to run past some enemies.
    That is most especially true for innate skills of course.

If you run through a Control Point, you will be very likely attacked by a huge number of mobs. Your innate skills will all take some of your XP away, but you are not fighting back: just running past as you try to make it to the exit.

That may happen incidentally, but if you are trying, then Sindariya had the right answer alreday :D

helm likes this.
  18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The new question now is that if we just go #YOLO to go hunt and train without worrying about the XP, would the min XP that @EMPstrike retaining be enough to cover skill decay? If so, I would rather not having to turn every skill off to keep the pool up high. Otherwise, we're back to usual business.

Chatele likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

. Decay isnt hitting very hard unless u got alot of really high skills. And i think there will be a mechanic in the game that isnt in yet to help you fight off decay, but if you got alot of stuff to really high levels, and your not satisfied and wanna keep pushing up, your gonna have to lock everything and build up a saftey net as far as i know.

20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If it feels like it's getting too hard to micromanage your stats and build your character and extremely fine-tuned and specific ways at very high levels, thats their intention as far as i know. They've said they are against min/maximg stats and some of these systems are deliberately intended to make that more difficult

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.