Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

was there sopose to be an increase in crit chances in black smithing?

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Raedre, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raedre

Raedre Avatar

i Just tryed another 15 trys an a one handed sword to crit and nothing thats about 300 trys since that evel crafting patch i really dont want to spend 12 to 24 hrs mining if there is no point the black smithing would decay to below gm (Skill decay sucks by the way)please let me know if there is any point of smithing if there are no crits on bladed weapons or plate i can go do somthing eles instead of wasting my time
    Thank you

2. Dameron

Dameron Portalarian Emeritus

Thanks for writing in!

I just tested with a maxed out character in blacksmithing, at an expert station, using a prosperity tool, and was able to roll a critical success in crafting. At this time, the feature is working as intended. Balance will come online at a later point in development.

When you get a chance, and others who are reading this thread too, please provide feedback about what type of information you need / want / would be nice to have when crafting.

Please note, I have a created a ticket in our issue tracker and referenced this thread for review.

Moving this thread to feedback.

3. Noric

Noric Avatar

Something to base our critical success chance of our crafting off of would be nice. I understand that there may be some relation to success rate, but I even made the mistake of spending hundreds of raw resouces when I mathematically might not be able to crit an item. If I knew how success rate corresponded I could make a judgement about whether I am wasting time and resources.

jama likes this.
  4. Noric

Noric Avatar

Took me 9 attempts to crit something I had an 84% chance of success on (GM smithing, prosperity tool, expert table). Considering I have significantly lower odds on plate and some of the weapons, are we really talking about 1\100 or lower odds of crit success?

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

If you do not have at least 50% chance to succeed, you can not crit. For blacksmithing that means you can crit anything except 2-handed blade and halberd (which require an insane blacksmithing level that is pretty much not obtainable). This info from last release, have not done mass craft for testing this release yet but i have already crit 3 sets of plate and a longsword.

DeadSpider and Oba Evesor like this.
  6. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Dude! I really wish I woulda known this before makin' another eight 2-H swords of Greater Haste last night (on top of the 30 or so I've already made in the past 2 weeks!) Literally the only thing I have been making lately trying to crit one! The only reason I tried again last night is I came across a founder table that brought my %'s way up. So frustrated! :confused:

7. Noric

Noric Avatar

@Dameron

So i think i have something close to the success % formula worked out. If I am correct, to have even a chance of critting a halberd one would need to have somewhere between 119-121 smithing. I would say this number is not appropriate.

If the 50% success number holds true, then one needs to have 109 blacksmithing to crit a 2h sword (I know for a fact that this is the level needed, with prosperity hammer and expert table, to get a 50% success chance on 2h sword).

Given these numbers, it seems entirely unobtainable for most weapons to be crit by a crafter using a standard crafting table and tool.

As a further indication of that difficulty, in order for someone without prosperity tool and expert table to crit a piece of armor, they would need to have 119-121 smithing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It could be designed that critical success is even "rare" for Grand Masters. It would keep the value high. Regardless, Dameron already addressed the balancing issue. It's on the schedule.

9. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

When combined with rare resources, "critting" becomes very expensive. My average on things that I have a 100% chance to create is a "crit" about 1 in 8-10 times.

10. Noric

Noric Avatar

My average seems to be a lot better than that.. but its still really expensive.

11. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

Hello all! I would like to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Zack, and I have been primarily programming and designing resources and crafting for Shroud of the Avatar. I just read through all of this information and wanted to stop by to discuss a few things about crafting.

First off... though it's been a while, I went to peek at the math behind the crit chance and I can confirm that it will never work below 50%.

Second off... Criticals should only occur if you have the right materials in your inventory to add to get the bonus. I have already had a discussion with a few people about this being a bug (even though nothing is actually broken) because it ends up hiding some of the times you did crit, only because you did not have the right materials to upgrade in the first place. I would rather it say "you critted but did not have the right materials to upgrade", instead of silently doing nothing.

Crafting is [still] undergoing several changes and will show off the beginning of providing the right feedback to players in R28. I will be displaying the success chance in the crafting UI (not the recipe book... as that book has also undergone several changes too) and my goal is to find a place where I can write information out that is helpful during crafting. It is possible that recovery and crit chances might go here at some point, though we do enjoy having those as surprise elements instead of letting players calculate their chances out and expect them. I will spin up discussion about this to see what the team thinks and to get us talking about it.

One thing I have been in discussions with the lead designer about is the idea of a per-recipe progression that allows us to detach the crit chance from the success % and base it off how much of a master you are at crafting a certain recipe. For example, the first time you make a sword, there is a 0% crit chance. You craft 100 of these swords and become a master at making this specific type of swords, then you will have a high crit rate, even if you are only a level 20 blacksmith. Decoupling these chances gives us a lot of flexibility to control what effects the crit rate in the game. This is not targeted as a primary task for me, and is not necessarily an official direction yet, but I am pushing to make it happen. We are getting there guys! Just continue to provide feedback and support us as you've always done and we will end up where we need to be :).

Feel free to provide feedback if you want to, I just wanted to let everyone know what is going on.

-Zack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.