Endgame ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumajo, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lumajo

Lumajo Avatar

What would be your idea of a lasting endgame in SOTA ?

Leelu likes this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

What constitutes a lasting "endgame" will vary from person to person.

I assume by "end game" you mean what to do after all the quests and optional side missions have been completed.

If you are highly competitive, you may want to achieve as many simultaneous GMs as possible, join in impromptu and/or organized competitive events, try to dominate a market segment, etc.

If you are highly imaginative (prefer writing over reading, creating over consuming), you can take advantage of SotA's solid sandbox elements. For example, role playing is one popular option. Other options are fan fiction, micro movies, music, scene stories, etc.

If you are after a social experience, there are and will continue to be many organised events where you can interact with other players. Parties, acting in plays, etc.

If you are not competitive, imaginative or social, well ... just do what you enjoy the most.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

A good selective multiplayer game has no end!

Leelu and Katrina Bekers like this.
  4. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

being social? When you have seen everything, when you have fought everything...when your skills are where you want them to be...then its time to help others.

Leelu and Acred like this.
  5. Lumajo

Lumajo Avatar

I hope there will content added by the developers, challenging dungeons etc. What do you think ?

6. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

I think...there is allready a lot to discover and simply "more" doesnt do the trick. MMOs are allways deffined by the community that plays them, once you reach a certain point...you either stay due to your friends or you start looking for another game, a new dungeon will not change that imho.

I spend the whole last week online in the evening without killing a single mob, I was working on songs and was playing them in Resolute. No content needed for that, but thats not fun for everyone I understand.

uziraff, Eriador, Leelu and 1 other person like this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I am sure that we will have "high end" content. But you should understand that will be very different from the wow style games. In UO, for example, to complete a dungeon, or kill a monster, was not that much important. But anyway SotA will be a little more complete that UO in that point.

Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I totally agree that there are a ton of things to do on the creative end, but there is definitely a lack of high level content right now. I believe they are putting some more endgame content in soon, so that should help a bit.

I personally would like to see some sort of public gladiator combat. I think it would be fun if it had some structure, rankings, wins/losses, maybe wagering.

And of course would love to see some really hard dungeons. They could be very hard to solo, and also scale the difficulty upwards depending on the party size.

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Epic hot tub party. RG restores me as the rightful king. Trolls and bunnies cohabitate.

Yeah that would do it.

10. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

I'm with you on that. I know plenty of people love the social aspect of these games, but for me it's always the challenge of beating the biggest and baddest monster out there. I don't really care about houses or the economy or RP'ing - if I want that experience I'll go play Harvest Moon or Rune Factory. Right now I'm getting the impression that end game will largely be a social endeavor, and that's just not my thing. I'd love to find massive, deep ruins to explore - something I can get lost in for days, something that is housing a really nasty beast.

Adam Crow, Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  11. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

When you as a player die and are unable to log into the game ever again. :p

Seriously though, unlike some other MMOs I've played that are more structured towards certain goals (like raiding, gear progression, etc), I don't really have the same push from Shroud. My goals are to wander and enjoy the world, and basically have my character living there :D

12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

As others have said, the ideal game will not have an "end game". If there is a finite goal, it will be reached eventually and then there will be no reason to continue playing. This is the most important factor in a games longevity.

The best plan is to continue to introduce new and different things on a consistent basis so everyone is always chasing the carrot.

A means of constant improvement and achievement in player progression is what a game should strive for.

13. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

Killing Lord British of course !

Budner, Daxxe Diggler and Adam Crow like this.
  14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Lasting endgame? Nope.
    There is a story arc through 5 episodes. Enter the world. Follow the story to the end. Move on to next game.

15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I'am the last boss of the game. Me, you, chicken room. There can be only one.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

It is when you give up playing, because the game does not entertain you anymore.

That is endgame.

Raven Noir likes this.
  17. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

Given that they are planning to release the game in episodes, they will need to provide some sort of end-game content. Otherwise, a lot of people (like me, for example) will get bored with it quickly, drop the game and not purchase the follow-ups. Now, I don't know if they have already funded all 5 episodes, or if they are hoping release sales will do it for them, but if the latter is the case then they need, need to retain as many players as possible.

Lumajo likes this.
  18. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I actually like having a finite goal, I achieve it, I 'win', ending credits. Now, plenty of games let you keep playing after that to explore and see new things. I am not a fan of the never-ending story (I already live that :) ), or at least how that seems to get implemented in most non-ending games where there are not clear climaxes to the story and/or progression of the world.

19. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

They get no income from retaining players, other than add-on store sales.
    They need marketing.
    If Episode 1 is good, people will return for subsequent episodes.
    It's ok to do other things between episodes.

20. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

For people like me, a new dungeon changes that completely. Coming online solely for social interaction doesn't warrant booting up the game. I can do that with any number of social communication application. I realize that some people really enjoy that, but if that is going to be the focus of the game they should definitely advertise it more as a social MMO (instead of the broad "sandbox" term they are using now).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.