Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Female combat sounds

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Raven Swiftbow, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

While I do vary much like this idea, I think it's one of those "after release" ideas. OTOH, I think having my battles not sound like a reenactment of the famous scean from When Harry Met Sally (1989) is a little more pre-release.

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone who's playing a male character who has heard (their male char) utter a sound in combat...... o_O

If male fighters don't make sounds, then why do females ???

And why do the females sound like they're f***ing - not fighting ?

I poked around the net and found some more "realistic" female fighting audibles:

[​IMG]

I'm not a woman, so I'd like to hear from some of you who are .....
    Would these sounds be more acceptable ?
    They're what I imagine a female fighting for her life might sound like.... ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The sounds in the audio you posted sound like they were taken from a karate movie and might be appropriate if I were playing that kind of role. I wouldn't like them for SotA.

I actually don't mind the female combat sounds much. I especially like the sigh-like groan when hit by an arrow. I think I would sound like that if someone shot me.

What I hate, and have always hated, is the sound made when jumping. If the sound only occurred when landing from jumping from a tall building or cliff it would be ok, but the sound occurs even when jumping in place or jumping over a stone. I don't make sounds when I jump over stones.

Moiseyev Trueden, Acred, Mata and 2 others like this.
  4. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I also would not want the oriental fighting sounds - which are tied to that particular style of fighting - and those sounds are most commonly made by the attacker although, yes, the person hit will allow sounds to escape . That is a matter of training in that style of fighting. Ultimately I don't really care what sounds they have for female fighting - as long as I have a toggle where I can turn it OFF.

And why would females make sounds while fighting but not guys?

Years and years ago I was one of the earliest full time female firefighters in the state of Texas (3rd one, in fact). Women are actually more apt to not make a sound when they are hurt. Not because women are 'tough' but because women have a higher tolerance for pain - ask anyone who has gone through natural childbirth. And when guys get hurt, they are more likely to utter "OH SH**!" lol

Finally, there is something which is not being taken into account here - when one is fighting (or running from a fight) your adrenaline is through the roof. So you are not reacting to pain - not at that moment. It is not until that adrenaline level drops that you begin feeling the pain - but since we magically heal ourselves as soon as possible, those adrenaline levels would not have dropped by the time we have healed ourselves. And that is also not taking into account the fact that if someone is severely injured, the adrenaline is quickly replaced by them going into shock - which also is more notable for the lack of sound than for any sound that is made. Ask any medical person. (ex-EMT here)

So those are my arguments about the combat sounds.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes:Well said @Raven Swiftbow +1

~Options are Everywhere~:oops:
    The male avatar can barely be heard, so it's not so distracting.
    I say find some sound worth while and then turn it down as the male's voice seems to be.
    "Or give us all options within the chr creation, or place it as an option on/off/up/down within the master option settings as the music is"

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.