Hospitallers -- Players Helping Players

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Elgarion, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

[​IMG]
    (art by @Leostorm)

We, the Hospitallers, would like to welcome you to New Britannia. Who are the Hospitallers, you ask? It's simple -- a Hospitaller is anyone who helps another player! There are so many groups of Hospitallers which roam New Britannia, as this community is full of wonderful people willing to help others. If you'd like to become involved, simply jump right in! Help someone and let us know of your success or findings, for surely all of us can benefit from our shared experiences!

Live Chat with a Hospitaller on the Official Shroud of the Avatar Discord Server
    Live Voice with a Hospitaller on the Official Shroud of the Avatar Discord Server

To sign and out as as a Hospitaller in Discord, type the following commands
    in the Hospitaller SotA Discord Server chat channel:
    !signon
    !signoff

The Law of the Hospitaller
    Hospitallers are Approachable, Engaging, Honest, Friendly, Patient, Respectful, Encouraging and Involved.

The Motto of the Hospitaller

For the Avatars and in the Service of New Britannia!

The Oath of the Hospitaller
    I do vow to be vigilant in my duties, to be helpful to the Avatars of New Britannia, and to obey the Law of the Hospitallers to the best of my ability. I pledge to help others selflessly and to further the Community of New Britannia.​

To help new players and Hospitallers find each other in-game, the developers created the titles Hospitaller and Outlander to the list of titles that all players can choose from. Starting in Release 28 (launched March 31), new players (or even veteran players) can press Keypad “-” and set their title to Outlander as a signal to other players that they would like specific help…or just general newcomer guidance. The title of Hospitaller was suggested by Lord British from his experiences with the Society of Creative Anachronism (SCA), and can be worn by members of the community volunteering their time to aid players, both new and old!

To become a Hospitaller is simple...Help a new player. That's all it takes to become a Hospitaller. It is a step towards embracing the virtues and your fellow man. It is a step towards enhancing the new player experience for all.

But there are some additional levels you can take this to, if you are willing, oh virtuous one! Albeit these are not required, you might wish to look into them.
    • Display the title, Hospitaller. You'll notice it has a rather noticeable Purple color which stands out nicely for new players to spot. New players start off displaying the title, Outlander which is a lighter Purple. Engage with these new players and see if they require any assistance. Bark announcements in Town Centers that you are available to help. Be selfless. Be kind. Be encouraging. Be helpful. Be available.
    • Tune into the SotA Discord Voice and Chat Channels for Hospitallers and Player Help.
    If you have ideas for how Hospitallers can further improve the new player experience in Shroud of the Avatar, please let us know!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. Elgarion

@dallas I thought it very wise to mirror your wonderful Hospitaller post from the update and transfer it into the Player Resources forum. Hope you don't mind, good sir! We'll do our best to keep the data here updated with current info!

@Amber Raine @Balec Fares deCani @Jade2 @Justyn04 @Kacey @Kara Brae @WrathPhoenix @Lace @Lazarus Long @Luca Xante @Luka Melehan @margaritte @Mekong @Minerva @NANOC @Rinaldi @Roper Docholiday @royalsexy @SeleneNoctua @Sophi @Spoon @Stryker Sparhawk @Temujin2 @Ulf Berht @Winfield @Womby @HogwinHD @Lord-Galiwyn @Sara Dreygon

Sorry if I missed a hospitaller... did my best to tag as many as I could find forum names.

Exciting stuff, my friends! Long live Shroud of the Avatar!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  3. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

I hate leap years.

4. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

I Am Alexander John, I Am known As @HogwinHD On the Forums :)

5. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I am also a Hospitiler , Druid Galiwyn in game

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Proud Hospitaller. Anyone ever needs anything at all find me in game, my name being Kazyn Phoenixfyre.

7. Elgarion

Hahaha, I laughed out loud when I read this :p Fixed!

Also, good idea too, having Hospitallers give shout-outs here to let folks know :)

8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

While I'm not vetted or in the picture I'm proudly flagged as a Hospitaller, as well :D.

Same Avatar as Forum name @Sara Dreygon

9. Elgarion

Very good to know! So very glad to see you gave a shout out. This is a program open to all who wish to help new players, and new players who wish to be helped!

I'll put your name above :)

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Just signed up! Looking forward to being able to help out! :D

11. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Thats the beautiful thing about the program. While we do have some regular meetings and training classes and all of that, anyone can participate. Its not so much a super organized program as it is a movement that also happens to have a lot of supporting infrastructure. Part of that is thanks to Elgarion.

12. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Brilliant! I was actually going to suggest that someone do exactly that so I could pin it to the top of the forum! It is now pinned/stickied! I'm also including a new, permanent section to the weekly update that links to Community Resources, and this forum post as well as SotAHelp.org are included in that section!

Krohon, Grimace2, Time Lord and 16 others like this.
  13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

You're all doing an incredibly selfless work. Cheapeau!

15. Elgarion

Many thanks @dallas -- fantastic news!

16. hoofz

hoofz Avatar

Many thanks for the introductory meeting today!

17. Elgarion

So glad you could make it! Let us know if you need any assistance, Hoofz :)

Time Lord, Moiseyev Trueden and Mata like this.
  18. Elgarion

Thought I'd share a new feature we have for our Hospitallers on SotAHelp.org. They can log in their sessions to help us analyze our support gaps and expertise gaps, but even with such a new feature, we're already capturing excellent data to improve our program -- looking like we're off to a great start! Since the 16th, we've logged in 63 hours of new player support! And that's just the Hospitallers who've logged in times :) Fantastic job guys! If anyone is interested in joining the Hospitaller program, please let me know!

[​IMG]

19. Elgarion

Refreshed main topic, current as of now. Please recommend/advise upon any changes.

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  20. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

This is amazing. This is one of the great aspect that only SotA possess.
    I'd very much like to join Hospitaller as a translator/guide to Korean players, once I get to know the game better.

Thank you and good luck to you all Hospitallers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.