NPC Conversation Improvement

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Truthveyor, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

Below are some things NPC's or Avatar's Companions might say from time to time without the Avatar starting the conversation:

1. Once in a while, NPC's can comment on the most recent Significant Event. ("Did you hear that the Skeletons Army have taken over the town of Winterhaven?" "I heard you were a big help to Lord Darkthorn." "The Firelotus Party last night was simply amazing!")

2. Avatar's companions can sometimes comment on the current quests. ("You are mad to want to take on a full-grown dragon, Avatar. I've told you this before and I'll tell you again." "Let's go back to that Yuna guy and collect the loot." "Didn't you say you're going to help that Elf woman find her son? When are you going to get to it?")

3. Avatar's companions once in a while comment on the current town or dungeon they are in. ("This dungeon gives me the creeps." "Ardoris is so romantic!")

4. NPC's and Avatar's Companions can comment on the weather. ("It's raining again." "I hate the rain." "Snow reminds me of my homeland." "Are you cold, Avatar? Perhaps you would like to hold me for warmth?")

5, Avatar's Companions can comment on the most recent battle. ("That troll almost had me!" "Did you see how I blocked that bandit's dagger? It was like this, and then like this." "I can use some healing, Avatar." "That was a most fearsome fight.")

6. NPC's and Avatar's Companions will sometimes talk about their experiences. ("In the Northlands, we often hunt wild boars for sport. I was one of those eager lads who couldn't wait to go on the hunt.")

The idea is to make the game full of life and interesting conversations. People talk. They don't just stand around.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I really like your ideas truthveyor. Great conversation examples. You would be great at writing side conversations for the game's npcs. :)

Truthveyor and Sara Dreygon like this.
  3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I agree @Truthveyor , these are great!

I believe @Lum works with some community members on NPC dialog and would be very well served to take a look at these suggestions and/or reach out to you.

majoria70 and Truthveyor like this.
  4. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

THANK YOU!! :D

I think one of the key factors that makes a game fun is "animation". Animation means making something more "life-like".

An example of animation many games already do very well is to have NPC's make gestures like scratching their heads or move their shoulders or walk around. This has to do with 3D modeling, and I'm sure Shroud is on top of developing this aspect of animation already.

Yet there are other aspects of animation. My suggestion has to do with "conversation animation", or more life-like conversations. They add fun and color to the game and make things less dull, just like NPC's motions and gestures make NPC's less dull.

majoria70 and Sara Dreygon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.