During the real land rush...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Poor game design, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We will not be claiming lots. We had to test something today.

Duchess Fionwyn, Elwyn, Womby and 4 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Update:

The all important tier 11 (the Duke rush)
    [​IMG]

Interestingly, all of the village waterlots in britanny were still available at the time of this screen shot.

3. Drocis the Devious

Thanks, I figured but wanted to make sure.

Acred and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I'm missing the rush :(

Someone grab me something nice in Brittany please!

Biggest thing on water and if nothing is left on water grab me the biggest thing on land :p

Leelu, Acred and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would assume that it is real money.

Leelu likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

There was another screen shot where he had like 11k...I believe that "money" is only being used to trigger the developers ability to buy whatever they want for testing purposes.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Let me put it another way. I won't assume that the Developers would do anything improprietous. If they're claiming lots, I will, unless given credible evidence to the contrary, assume that they've paid for the right to do so just as any other backer has and will adhere to the same Lot Selection rules and sequence as any other backer.

Leelu and Amber Raine like this.
  8. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Well that's settled

9. Drocis the Devious

yep :)

Leelu and Acred like this.
  10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Darkstar is building our world, has custom armor and a custom airship... I expect Devs to be Devs.

I'm not too worried about vendor and lot selection competition with people who can enter god mode, zone anywhere and create anything. I think they want people to have fun and spend $$ on the game. I doubt they plan on frustrating the crap out of you by snagging prime lots for no real gain.

It's only impropriety if everyone agrees to the same rules, morals and ethics in the first place.

Leelu, Acred, Amber Raine and 2 others like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

The devs are laughing at us on high from their hidden floating Megatropolis in the sky that will be revealed in Episode 2. I don't think they have any need or desire to compete with their players.

BTW, thanks for the updates on what's happening in Britanny. /stuckatwork.

12. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

I would propose that it is made impossible to claim lots in single player online during the land rush. Here one should see eventual competiters to be able to walk out and try for a different lot instead of waiting for his time window only to see the lot immediately taken before the own UI even shows its ready. (Should the take over button be enlighted if the time comes to claim, or does it stay grey until you reopen the lot deed UI?) And now you have to run for spare places.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

Jarl Atogrim and Acred like this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

OPO would potentially have multiple instances of a scene so potentially you run into the same situation anyways. The only valid reason I see to prevent this in SPO is for Forced PvP towns.

14. Drocis the Devious

Here's a new update on we're at. This will be my last update as I've gotten all the information care about for the real land rush.

Somewhere between tier 12 and 15 I ran around Novia to see how the other story cities were doing. What I found REALLY surprised me.

Britanny
    At that time, Britanny had about 17 lots filled out of 117. All of the Castle, Keep, and City lots were taken. A LOTM had taken one of the foot traffic heavy lots very early. A duke took one of the row lots in tier 11. The lone Town Water lot was taken in tier 11, and all but one of the village water lots remained unclaimed. There were plenty of village and row lots remaining.

Ardoris
    There were still Keep and City lots remaining in Ardoris. Virtually no one was living there.

Soltown
    Because this is the scene where everyone has been starting out for the last year, I thought we'd see more traffic and less housing. There were literally two lots claimed.

Resolute
    City and Keep lots taken. This is probably be Highvale is such an EASY place to level up as a new person. All row and village lots were unclaimed.

Aerie
    Nothing was taken. The city was virtually empty. City, Castle, Keep lots all available.

Etceter
    Barren. City lots available. No population that I could see. Unable to find the town crier here.

Desolis
    Completely empty.

Owl's Head
    City, Castle, Keep lots all taken. Some town and village lots along the main path into town were taken.

Kingsport
    One lot was taken, everything else was empty.

What does this mean?

To me it means a number of things.
    1. We have a small sample size. It's a Thursday during work hours in the US. Only LOTM and Dukes have been able to claim lots thus far.
    2. It's clear that Britanny is the most popular town by far. But we already knew that to be the case.
    3. We're going to see pressure put on high traffic areas, but honestly no one "knows" what the best spots will be. Can anyone say that Desolis will not be a great spot for vendors a year from now? No.
    4. We should see a lot more lots fill up between now and the end of the weekend, but this is probably nothing compared to what will happen during the actual land rush.
    5. If you paid for a spot ahead of a large group of pledgers, you're going to get your money's worth. See example of Violation going in tier 10 before the other 95 Duke's in tier 11 as exhibit A.
    6. Finally the big take away is NOT that lots will be available. The big take away is that there are very few Castle, Keep, and City lots within the "most popular" towns. They went early and fast. The high traffic areas (on corners, by banks, on the main street leading into the center of town) were gobbled up too. So if you're picking somewhere deeper in the land rush, you shouldn't expect these lots to be there during the real land rush, you should be looking for valuable 2nd tier lots and have a good plan how to get one of those.

Elwyn, Womby, Vaentorian and 9 others like this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Dang it! I wanted to be neighbors! :)

16. Drocis the Devious

I got to be neighbors with @Chaox during R20 something, it was kind of cool. I liked to put trash in his yard and call the Desolis HOA on him. :)

17. smack

smack Avatar

One of the devs graciously gave me kindred access to their Castle Lot once, which I promptly abused by TTP'ing them.

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

As much as I love the promise of SOTA, I hate to say this, but it is my reaction to the content.

Etceter. Most. Boring. NPC. Town. In. Any. Game. Ever. IMHO. At least on the surface.

Barren population there? Not a big surprise. Can someone explain why is this an NPC town and not a PRT?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Leelu likes this.
  19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree. Running this test in half hour slots on a work day morning simply tests the game mechanic of limiting lot selection based on timing. It has nothing to do with who wants to claim a lot at R32.

Leelu likes this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

was it the new emote that allows you to toilet paper someones house?

Acred and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.