R29 targeting system: very bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elwe Thor, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Surprisingly, I am getting used to the new system. But as a melee player, I may not completely understand the ranged player experience. Going in, I was sure I was going to hate it, but am now glad I didn't rant too much and too early. I hope that the AI is adjusted so that the ranged PVP mobs have to follow the same targeting rules. Currently no matter how you move or what is in the line of sight, every archer mob hits me with every shot penetrating armor as if I was naked. Going up against three or more archers is nigh impossible with the current system.

2. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Surprisingly... it's not a surprise: as I previously wrote, the new system is helping melee fighters a lot, and it's right, as the previous targeting system was impairing them.

What I'm asking now is to have a switch a player can use to pass from the new to the old system or, better, from melee to ranged. Melee just auto-target the enemies "in front of" them, which is easier and much more correct than to have to explicitly target with TAB (maybe, sometimes, they need a "lock target" key), while archers and casters would better like to be able to "select their target" without the game acts autonomously: this 'cause a ranged attack usually involves far and moving targets, which are rarely "in front of you".

About the problem with archers: as I'm not wrong, reading the R29 release notes, if you hold a shield the arrows can't hit you.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The more I play with the new targeting, the more I hate it. :(

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I'm not fond of the new system. Keep having to tab out of the mouselook every single time I equip my bow. Can't hit the broad side of a barn now that the targeting has changed. :( Hope they give us the option of choosing the old way in the options.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I did play a ranged fighter and a melee fighter. I actually think that ranged fighting now is much better than it was before and maybe with a real FPS combat system it would be even better.

Siriustar and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  6. helm

helm Avatar

Actually, ranged targeting has never been so quick, easy, precise and effortless, in my opinion.

This is not a shooter. The target is chosen already when you begin the attack. Perhaps lag might influence chances to hit, somehow, someday. But with targeting you just want to indicate who you want to hit. Exactly like in tab targeting.

Tracker, Jarl Atogrim and Siriustar like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How I long for the pre-R26 days when I wasn't forced into a FPS play style. :(

8. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I thought I was was going to really hate this new system, but in truth I have had much more fun with this combat system than in any previous release. As a ranged player I do feel more in control and I can react more quickly to the changing situation. Sure you might need to move around a bit sometimes, but the reticle is pretty forgiving and if you are facing multiple opponents you really only need to keep your aim roughly closer to your current target to keep a "lock", or shift your aim to the far side to switch to another target.
    I'd love for someone to post a fraps video of the new system in action. I'm sure if I did it people would quickly point out how bad I am, but hey I'm having great fun and for the most part I am surviving pretty well even in tense situations.
    It didn't take me long but I no longer feel the need to tackle only one target at a time. I aim for the ranged opponent while I can, but I can quickly switch to keep the grunts at bay while I move to another position, and then I can switch back to the sniper for a few more shots. I know that a big part of this change is why Chris and Starr have been talking a lot about wanting to improve the cover system. Because I know that whenever I find the mobs up close are blocking my view of the ranged opponent, they are also blocking the ranged opponent's view of me!

Tracker and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  9. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I think this is the issue for me. When I go out fighting with my brother, we coordinate our efforts and decide who attacks what. I want to be able to choose my targets so I can be more strategic like that. And if this game is not meant to be a shooter at all, then I would suggest that not so much of the game be dependent upon fighting. Make crafting an actual "path" that can be chosen at the start and then make it so we can actually make a living doing it.

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

My Polearm gets in the way lol.

11. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I'm a ranger / bow user and loving the new system compared to the old tab system. Took a bit of practice but now just as effective as before using my bow.

Tracker, helm and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  12. helm

helm Avatar

And, of course, you can do exactly that. The game does not choose the target - you do. What I meant was that, for example, when you click an attack glyph, your current selection is chosen as the target at that very moment. Exactly like in tab targeting.

Siriustar and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  13. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I know, but if he hollers, "hey, get this spider off me!" then I can't really do that - at least not very easily. I'm no expert fighter or anything, but I was doing a LOT better with the old system than with this one, that's for sure. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I won't. But it would be great if we had the option so I could use the one I like best.

helm likes this.
  14. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

I have to say as, like many of you, I used many targeting systems in the years: it's true that, as a mage into Ultima, WoW(*) and some other games, I like the right-click-then-tab to switch from enemy to enemy, but I used even the "look to target" (e.g. Red Crucible Firestorm, using the Javelin lock-on anti heli's rocket, or a game about robots, on my iPad): every game which used the look-to-target have (or should have) a "lock" key (or auto-lock feature) which permits you to "follow" the target even if it moves in a wide arc.
    (*) have to say I love the WoW's one, which uses the TAB to lock "the nearest enemy in front of you" into a reasonable arc.

Now... reading the posts here, and Chris' words and video, it seems the new system have an auto-lock feature... but... the fact I can't see the enemies' health-bar, even if I succesfully "locked" on them, makes me feeling I locked nothing at all.
    I'm not sure to understand if this have to be fixed, if we've to suggest a way to make the locking more evident (e.g. to highlight the target, which should be better than placing a yellow arrow on his head), or if this thing have yet been implemented and it's me who didn't saw it: the targets I tried "locking" was way too fast to look at them in detail (undeads chasing me) or seems not to have been "highlighted" at all (wolves at blood river's scenario).
    When I tried to cast to something I thought I've locked (a chicken into Soltown) I casted to another one which, by the way, wasn't in my sight (behind a wall)... this is confusing. :confused:

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm currently playing as a spell slinger and I find the new system way more intuitive and responsive than before. Casting AoEs like fireballs and corpse explosion and shooting direct spells like the various "arrows" have never been easier.

Considering that we're supposed to be transported to a new planet or whatever, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Is "waiting for your dude to act on his own" the only defining aspect of RPGs? Without it, the game suddenly becomes something else entirely? I don't think so.

17. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I think some people on this post are not understanding what you mean,, Its not what the devs are calling the targeting system that is the issue that you are referring too , its the enemy target selection that is the big issue for many users ( including me )

By removing the Enemy target selection from the TAB key they removed any possibility to actual select your target as the system is selecting it for you..At the moment the auto system is very buggy as it selects targets far away even when there is an enemy right in front of you. :(

For users using Healing, Death Ray, Fire Arrow , ETC...Archery or any other similar skill should have surely noticed the issues and problems EVEN when they fix it so its the closest enemy that gets targeted..

My biggest gripe about this though is that even when it gets fixed there are moments that I do not want the closest target to get selected.. Like when you want to choose the weakest target in the gang or when you want to get an archer instead of a warrior after you chase after him.. OR when a wolf is fighting a skeleton--I will sneak up beside the wolf and fight with it against the skeleton until the skeleton is dead..( of course then the wolf turns on me :) )...

My removing the enemy target selection they took out a chuck of strategy from the game :( argggggg

jem3299 and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

So you'd prefer that archers automatically get a clear shot where the arrow magically goes through enemies to reach that one target you had in mind?

It doesn't automatically target the closest opponent, it targets/prioritizes the closest opponent from your reticle. Meaning if you have 3 targets in a bunch, you'd need to be more precise with your aim to get the one you really want... and that makes sense.

Bugs aside, if you sneak beside the wolf and want to hit the skeleton, make sure you're looking at the skeleton and not the wolf... and that you're not obviously cleaving.

I just position myself accordingly to get the proper target. If anything it adds more depth to tactics.

Siriustar, Tracker and Fister Magee like this.
  19. Redzz

Redzz Avatar

I need to be able to select a player to heal, the mobs are griefing me :(

jem3299 and 4EverLost like this.
  20. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

1: who ever said anything about Magical Arrows? I surely never did. if there is something in the way then its a miss,, plane and simple.. at the moment if there are 3 archers in a row vertically and I want the last one there is no way to choose it as the reticle would be in the same line of sight as the first ( or very close to it ) and since the third would be further away it would choose as a priority the first one...Perhaps this works for you but for me its a pain in the but..

2: I do not like the look of the reticle in the first place and turned it off.. I find it breaks immersion and reminds to much of a first person shooter game. I think the key selection is a better fit IMHO ( But I guess that's a personal choice ) which is why I would be fine if they put it as an option that we could select and bind another key too it instead of the TAB key..

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.