Issue from Hangout and Regional Properties from crafting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Coconut, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

Ok it was mentioned in the Hangout that there are going to be properties placed on items from crafting according to what region the item was crafted in - - - -

So I say ; Norguard add Str, / Grundvauld adds Dex. / Elysium adds Int. (this is of course speculation)

But does this work in Towns (NPC, PRT, POTs)

So as a crafter what concerns me is if these properties work in Towns and stuff that gives the owner of the tables an advantage.

Now if these special properties are only available in the "special" stations in Dungeons and such that would be OK,

BUT

if these are in POTs, this is wrong and can be abused since they could be restricted so players don't have access especially if / when we get the higher level tables.

I strongly suggest these properties are restricted to the Special Stations like I said the Dungeons and such.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If it applies to player owned towns.. it'll apply to NPC towns as well.. and those tables will be available to everyone. Even if that's not the case.. there are so many towns in every region that every last one of them would have to agree to hide their stations away for them to have any kind of advantage.

KuBaTRiZeS, Leelu, Womby and 6 others like this.
  3. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

And when I can make my Imperial Blacksmith Station of the Master and place that in my town in the Brittney area and lock my town how is that fair to everyone.

I know you said If, and that is my concern, we are going to make / obtain vey high level stations and regional properties are Bad unless restricted to the Special Station located in areas that are not Player controlled. Simple low level NPC ones in towns are not a big deal, just the stronger special ones.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If you can build it.. so will everyone else... and there will always be someone who's going to go out of their way to have it available to the public in their town. So how is it not fair then?

It's only an advantage if EVERYONE locks them away and that's just not going to happen. Larger towns who want to draw people in will have public crafting areas with all the best stuff they can put out there.

Lord Barugon, Womby, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  5. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

Ah gotta love the Optimist in you :) I see the issue and so do you, you just don't really see it as a problem, we shall see. ;)

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As a town owner who knows other town owners.. and town dwellers with intentions of having open crafting areas.. I just can't imagine that every single last person in every region is just going to hide their crafting stations away. And the more folks that did it.. the more people would go to the towns with the public stations.. it would be a good way to generate traffic and that's what a lot of the town owners want.

7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

PaxLair's Crafting Pavilion is always open for public use with expert stations. Has been since Valemark days, will be forever.

8. Carebear 180

Carebear 180 Avatar

Ok This was mentioned and clearly is a bad idea, lets go with this should not happen, this will create a huge issue, all sorts of imbalance issues. There should be NO Regional properties in crafting, that's the fastest way to kill crafting in this type of game.

Xandra7, Lord Barugon and Leelu like this.
  9. agra

agra Avatar

First you have to determine what each of the 'regions' are, and if it'll be Ardoris, Resolute, Aerie only? Will Owl's Head be included? Will the areas beyond the control points be considered regions, like Graff and Norguard?
    Or is it Perennial, Elysium, Paladis, Verdantis, Regalis, Quel, Longfall, Midras, etc and more.
    The problem with ideas like this is that unless you can craft -everything- in each region with unique bonuses to every item per region, you end up with two constant complaint scenarios:
    either
    a) I can't make that here when I can make that there (because there aren't public Expert stations available for it, in the cities)
    b) "this" has no value when compared to "that", or the ol' "Nerf Rock, Paper is Fine. Sincerely, Scissors." scenario.

Say, for example, that it's only three regions to start with. Each of those has say, 10 effects. If they don't overlap, everyone will use it as a complaining point such as: This area has 4 combat related effects, where that area only has 3. Why the disparity? And the whining will never end if you can only craft "special" armor or weapons in one region, or only cook "special" food/drink in one region.

I think it's far better to tie things like this to faction, and once you've done all the faction storylines, you can add all the effects. Otherwise, you could get the effect of your chosen region first, by completing that storyline first. But that's just me.
    Very similar concept to learning the various crafting styles in the Elder Scrolls games.

10. Mandalar

Mandalar Avatar

Speaking of regional issues, is Penmawr island the only place to collect coconuts?

Leelu likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Mandalar and Leelu like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that if you craft an exceptional item then you should be able to select what the bonus is. Whether that's done through a pop-up window or because you had some special ingredient in your inventory, I don't care.

Xandra7 and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The problem, @Honador, with restricting everyone so that those that may wish to game the system in some manner... with always coding for the worst case scenario... is that you also punish those of us that have and have always had the intention of doing the right thing for not just us but everyone in the game.

There will be (And this is one of the primary reasons I increased my pledge level from Knight to Lord Marshall, and my POT from a Village to a Town) available to the Public in Dawn's Keep a complete set of Expert Level crafting stations. That has been my plan from the beginning, even before Crafting Stations were made part of the pledge packages. Prior to that time, I had planned to make or buy them to make them available to my residents and visitors.

The "Expert" advantage on them isn't that big an advantage over the normal ones, and will (As you point out) be most advantageous for lower level and new players just getting started. Once higher level stations are available, and able to be crafted, those than can will make them, and start using them, leaving my stations, and those in the NPC towns free for what I consider to be their primary purpose... helping those just starting out.

If you wish to punish me for my good intentions, I believe that to be a very petty position.

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

POTs are part of the regional economies the same as any other town.

15. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

My musings on the regional properties on crafted goods. What I would like to see from such a feature and not just oh you used a forge in Ardoris, you get bonus x:
    1. These should be crafted styles much like in ESO (Ancient Elf, Nordic, Orc, etc). Each region would have their own unique style look. Ie. Ardoris (and by extension Perennial Coast) has an Asian theme to its style, so a sword crafted in an Ardoris/PC style could be a Katana, armor could look samurai-ish.
    2. These should be top tier crafting skills accessible once you hit 80 skill in the relevant base skill. ie. Hit 80 in Bladesmith and you can learn to craft Ardoris blades, Norgard blades, etc.
    3. These styles should be only taught by regional grand masters that the player needs to seek out. Much like to learn the top tier combat skills needs a Master to teach you. No "experimenting" to learn these styles. Once a player GMs these skills they can then teach these styles as well.
    4. They work off the original recipes but need additional fuel, reagent, dirt from the region, etc. Longsword blade needs 1 coal and three ingots. Maybe an Ardoris blade needs 4 coal, 3 ingots, 5 nightshade (or whatever is the most prevelant reagent in the area), 5 piles of Ardoris dirt.
    5. Can be made on any crafting station in the region of that style. NPC, Player-owned, PRT, POT.
    6. Bonuses increased with the skill of crafter. +1 for a skill below 40, +2 for skill between 40-80. +3 for a skill above 80.
    7. Not just limited to weapons and armor. Furniture, jewelry, etc can also have a regional style. This could open up a whole new economic markets.

agra and Mandalar like this.
  16. Curt

Curt Avatar

I hope that in each region the * scenes will have nodes suitable to train all your gathering skills in.

17. Carebear 180

Carebear 180 Avatar

Having just adding visual effects on items based on region, is really a cool idea.
    As long as each region all had a = counter part just looked a lil different and it was a option to make.
    I think Its a really cool idea,

Here is the only issue I see and why I am against Regional properties.
    The day regional properties come out every player will pick a style, a look, or a property of a certain style that they like for what ever reason. Some items will become favorites and more popular and sought after then others, the region that those item are crafted in will become more popular then all the others instantly,,,,, So all of you out there that got Guild Halls, crafting Stations, Huge public crafting stations and areas set ups in your POTs at your guild houses ect. ect. Are going to find your areas deserted, you don't attract any crafters, even your guild mates will probably leave and go to another region to craft because they want to make the HOT selling items that are only crafted in Region A region B, C, D are deserted. Sorry. How much did you pay for the POT, How good of a spot do you have for your vender in that NPC town that do to a Regional crafted Item is deserted?

That's how fast Public opinion of a item can kill the hole crafting system if there is any type of limitations to throw it out of Balance and add favor in one direction over the other. even if its just a visual thing.
    Its a Fine Line to Walk.
    I say avoid it, I think bwtdozer has a great idea, and I really like it, just to risky
    Sorry just my 2 cents

18. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

I think the dev's were talking about just that in the post-mortem.

19. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

It's not optimism, it's realism. In my experience the vast majority of town owners are going well out of their way to make sure there's a publicly accessible crafting area, for everyone to use, not just town residents. In fact I haven't actually been to a POT yet that didn't try to make some sort of public utility, and I've been to a couple dozen towns so far just exploring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.