Gems?? What happens now whith the Atteunement Changes

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Coconut, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

Please tell me these are being changed to something totally different - Back to like it was - Onyx Adds Death Touch to Weapons or Life Leach to Armor????

Since Ateunemtn is now a "Hidden" skill please, please, please tell me what is gonna happen

2. agra

agra Avatar

Apparently much/all/most of crafting is changing in R29, so we'll find out in under two weeks.

Yes, I know. 73 working days to go to persistence, and massive changes abound. :eek:o_O:confused:
    Gonna be a bumpy ride from here on out, I think.

3. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

yeah I foresee so many things are going to get tagged - - will be worked on after release :oops:

Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Why gems can't still give attunement bonus?

The attunement will just be implicit, not removed. The higher its value, the most dramatic the effect of those six gems as bonus!

5. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

well since you have no idea what level your attunement is and this is just a number, plus there are now no negatives this seems like a plain out waste of gems when they could be used for so much more.

But yeah leaving them as attunement is fine, it is just really weak,

6. Noric

Noric Avatar

My best guess is that in the short term it will just be the same without the negative attunement. Long term who knows what they will choose to do.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Is this true? A positive atunement in one skill tree will no longer give you a negative in the opposing skill tree?

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If that indeed IS the case, then they are no longer "Attunements", they are simply "Innates" by yet another name....

Time Lord, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  9. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Hopefully I remember correctly but I think DS said it in the last hangout that in future your "learned" skills will determinate what solely attunement you will have.
    E.g. if you mostly have fire skills your will have a fire attunement but never an earth attunement as long as your summarized "fire skills power" is stronger than your summarized "earth skills power".

Time Lord, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And that's fine if it simply gives you a boost in that area. What I'm concerned about is if I train life magic then will someone using death magic do extra damage to me because of that attunement. Currently, we're able to manage that and come up with our own balance. It sounds to me like they're just taking that away.

11. agra

agra Avatar

Inevitably, with new features and tuning from this point forward, that's what it is or will be. Even if you don't think it is, it is. Even if they say it isn't, it is. Even if the patch notes claim otherwise, it is.
    It's always worse for the players. The tuning mantra is: Nerf. Then Nerf. Then Nerf some more. Riiiiiight up until it starts to affect player retention and new player attraction. Then you've done just enough harm. :p
    That the attunement, targeting, crafting, enchanting, crowd-control, flagging, death penalty and resurrection changes were not delivered in writing is a sure sign (to me) they're going to pull another DLMB and make massive negative changes.

One thing for sure, having early access isn't going to provide much of an advantage, if they keep changing more than half the game every release from now on.. :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Curt

Curt Avatar

They could make is so gems on armour helped defense vs it and on weapons helped offence of it

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think if they do so, the negative effects will also come back. I mean if you are using death magic your death magic would be generally stronger and you would on top do additional damage to life attuned beings but also you would do lesser damage to other death magic attuned beings and would receive lesser benefits from life magic (e.g. heal)...maybe they even change in this case some spell effects…e.g. healing a death attuned being could harm it. ;)
    And gems...well maybe they give instead resistances to lower the damage of opposing magic schools.
    (Maybe the res-gems even "wear out" after absorbing 10000 damage to keep you buying them. :p)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Spoon likes this.
  15. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The proposed change to Attunement will be based off the number of skill points you have trained only in click-to-use skills within a given tree. Also referred to as Active Skills. The more points in those skills, the higher your attunement. Negative attunement was removed because everyone who started a character in the Truth line as a mage would get negative water and moon attunement if they didn't remove negatives.

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

There seems to be some confusion about attunement in this thread.

Firstly, it's not hidden. When you open your skill trees, click on a magic section, and near the top left there's a little number next to a motif of a person, that's your attunement for that school of magic. You can even mouse over it for a description.

Secondly, Attunement is now based off of the number of active skills you have leveled in a tree, meaning A) You gain attumenent in the trees you use the most and B) You do not have to spend experience leveling the Attunement passive anymore. You could almost consider it a free passive.

Thirdly, there are no longer negatives for attunement, since it is a free stat that is given to you in exchange for leveling a tree.

As far as the fantasy goes, I don't see any problems with it's current design. The more you use Fire spells, the more powerful they become and the more resistant you are to their effects. And since they did away with the negatives, Death Attunement is no longer a terrible stat, and you don't have to play as much of a balancing act with your build - Train the skills you want to use and use them. You get rewarded for specializing but you don't get penalized for diversifying, I feel like that's a much healthier design.

As for gems, I am pretty sure they still grant Attunement, which is actually pretty awesome. I'm working on my PvE tanking set and stacking fire attunement on my gear to mitigate incoming fire damage. Since I use very little magic in my tanking set (fizzle chance and all) the Attunement acts as a defensive stat and lets me mitigate the most common source of magic damage.

Fister Magee and Katrina Bekers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.