R29 postmortem saddened by...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I don't know.. but I feel like I have to repair stuff constantly. Especially weapons. I can see a lot of time wasted constructively spent on repairing or remembering to repair before going adventuring. Given my limited time to play (an hour here or there) this cuts into that time quite a bit. Now.. if I had a web interface that allowed me to access my character and weapons to do some micro-management related tasks... that would be awesome! I could totally do that form my phone at work.

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It is rather annoying to realize your durability is awful low on like 3 or 4 items for example, and you are trying to join a party with others, but they gotta wait because it take a long time to repair those different items to a useable level... tho if I were a good Avatar, I'd make sure my equipment was always up to snuff! :) but who has time for that??? I'd rather keep an extra crafted piece at home to grab instead.. ;)

3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I hope the rethink includes eventual permabroken for crafted weapons/armor. If the actual wear and tear of the left side number reaches 0, a difficult to reverse reduction of the right side number should occur to its max potential, meaning it needs to be maintained before left side number = zero.

Raising the right side number should be able to use the current mechanics, but wear through neglect or massive damage should have some effect towards a total failure if equipment is not maintained.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Moiseyev Trueden and Budner like this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Mabey the items wear down slower but the max durability also decreases upon. Repairing all the time is not fun but making new items with new stats is.

Otherwise we will be replacing the gold standard with the repair kit standard as the barter system.

Wouldnt you rather see 5 or 6 diffrent types of swords to buy on vedors than 1000s of repair kits?

Not suggesting disposable crafted items, they should be great and last a while without having to repair after each battle. But eventually you should look forward to getting a nice and new shiney one.

"Ill trade you 5 repair kits for that chest"

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I agree actually, I do want equipment to somehow permanently degrade.. :) I love gathering stuff for a new weapon or armor piece. Add-on store stuff, and Founder Rewards though should not degrade at all imo.

6. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

Agree 100%. I do not want to lose my reaper mask. I haven't actually checked to see if it degrades after a repair...

7. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

Agreed, but in a perfect economy you should not need to worry about needing ONE specific weapon/item. For example, in UO I could always run over to a vendor and grab a GM Crafted Weapon and be on my way. The GM Crafted Weapon, although not the best, was perfectly suited for 90% of the activities the game provided. After I was done, I would literally toss the weapon in a box and forget about it forever.

Aimend, Moiseyev Trueden and PK U like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Soooo true....

But then again uo was the crafting game that invented crafting games.

I thank Al Gore every day for the internet. And pants !!

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Aimend and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That's why I think pledge and add on store items should be skins and not just obsolete useless bank filler.

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Between pledge items and the few "best items" we're going to have most players looking the same.

We have a need to separate appearance and stats. Portlarium needs to continue to sell vanity items for revenue. We need gold sinks. I keep saying the obvious solution is to marry these three things and pay gold to transmute the look of one item with the stats of another (with reason). You can't make a shirt have the stats of heavy armor, but one set of heavy armor should be able to be transmuted with another set of heavy armor.

11. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

At least this one has a possible solution. The spirit / soul / affinity from a weapon could be a recoverable item from scrapping it. That object could then be used when crafting a new weapon of the same type. I would suggest not as a bolt on like gems are, but something that needs to be added when the weapon is first created.

4EverLost and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

LOVE THIS IDEA

13. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

GW2 does this and it works well to create an appealing outfit for your character or for RP purposes.

14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Terarria does this :D And should be implemented here.

Moiseyev Trueden and enderandrew like this.
  15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'd support this as a compromise but I still prefer just having players offering a repair service. Your idea could lead to scams/disputes.

I have a weapon I've been using for ages. I have a strong affinity. I hand that affinity to a crafter and ask them to make me a new weapon. They screw me over and keep the affinity. What is my recourse? CS would have to deal with angry players who feel like another player robbed them, the crafters who stole the item can argue that scams are how they roleplay their character and simply part of the game.

4EverLost and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Even with the current system I usually just end up getting new gear instead of repairing it depending on what it is.

17. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Me too.

Moiseyev Trueden and enderandrew like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I absolutely hated that items would take a perma-hit when repaired in UO. It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, I still hated it and I will hate it here. Please, developers, do not implement this.

19. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

That's a very good point. A sword "could" last 1200 years, or longer. However would a sword that is used often in battle really last that long? Or is it a sword that was once used in battle and is now hanging above the fireplace? They could take a more realistic approach, though. Like if it's leather armor, it surely wears out faster than plate, but the plate WILL eventually be beat up beyond repair if it is used a lot. I actually think chainmail would be the easiest to repair for a longer life. Bows will break faster than a sword would. An axe could also break faster than a sword. And so on. So I would suggest that if you DO have some awesome gear that you don't want to loose that maybe you shouldn't use it on every single outing? Saving it for the really difficult battles might be the best bet to ensure it lasts longer. But realistically, I doubt that any equipment that is used a lot will last forever. Nothing can escape entropy.

20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yes, because the goal of the game is not to make virtual money, but for different people to enjoy playing it in different ways.

I would expect that sword to be really hard to make, though.

Even if it retains the highlight stats, you might expect older and oft repaired armour to be more susceptible to crits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.