R29 postmortem saddened by...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The system they have deals with the repair side... Example: item has 100 max durability and is worn to 50, now it takes 1 kit to repair to max again; 1st repair. The second time it hits 50, to repair will take 2 repair kits. The 3rd time it take 3 repair kit and so on, so forth... Until your using a whole bunch of repair kits to repair it back to max durability. There comes a point of diminishing return, should I repair it at a cost of 10,000 or replace it, at a cost of 5,000...

If your making your own repair kits then it comes down to materials...

If your a vendor, you are selling repair kits, and when it's time, a new weapon or armor set... I fail to see, why that's NOT a good system? This system is working now, but with chr wipes, no one has noticed it... It's not balanced as my example... But it's working...

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Without weap/armor breaking... I will make one set of Bronze chain armor and use it for the next 10 years as will everybody else... absolutely no market for gear/weps. Why even craft? I might as well buy it from some poor fool who dumps his exp into crafting at the beginning of persistence and then use it for 10 years. In 3 months that person may hit GM crafting but will have no customers.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I dont agree its working, but really my argument is not for early release as much as it is 6 months from now. I would like to goto a vendor and see a sword of this and a sword of that mabey even a sword of this and that. Under the current system you wont see much of those examples because people wont be able to sell much of anything. Once people have made or purchased thier original sword of what ever they would be done. There will be very little demand for weapons with perma gear.

Did you play wow ? I was able to make the best gear in the game but could rarley sell anything.

Did you play ultima online ?

Vendors were stocked with all sorts of weapons and powers because the system recylcled it self... vendors were all over the place and people traveled from vendor to vedor for that epic find.

Repair kits will be dime a dozen and smiths with be an individual profession like it is in world of warcraft. Sure the first few months trade will be good but as people get thier specific gear set it will only be about repair kits.

Every vendor will sell repair kits very few will take the time and effort to sell specialized gear in the current system.

Edit: dont forget you will find player made loot on mobs as well, under the current system ull just salavage this stuff. Under the proposed break system ull save and have full chests or resell these in your vendor.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Malcipher and Juzzie like this.
  4. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

That could happen with any mats or gold you give to a crafter to make a weapon for you. For custom weapons like this (where you pay for the crafting not the product) a different transaction workflow would be ideal. Like your mats are tied to an order, which is given back to the originator regardless of outcome. Or one where the crafting bench is shared... output is given to the buyer, but the crafting is done by another user.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

With creating a weapon I can just wait for a completed weapon and then trade gold, or trade the mats + gold directly for the weapon. If you had to hand over affinity beforehand, there is a chance it can be stolen.

I don't see this as beneficial. It will create problems and unhappy players.

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sell repair contracts stronger version of the repair kit 3 repair kits or a repair contract from a smith.

Or mabey..

Repair kits are self administered based on your skill, the higher skill you have the better job you can do saves max durability.

Repair contract from a high level smith has the maximum repair and the minimum impact on max durability.

The above are just ideas.

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@PK U but it is early release, and not public release And yes, I was a merchant on WoW, and had no problems selling stuff until I had 10s of thousands of gold, for WoW had a true economy and 1,000 gold was worth something... Not like UOs crippled economy... Just seeing items on vendors doesn't mean they're actually selling... And I have faith the current system will be tuned for item wear/replacement...

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@SmokerKGB I hear ya bud im an avid crafter and I Hated wow crafting idk how anyone could consider it a crafting game.

With that said as a gm crafter in uo i was always buisy crafting or selling pk looted gear on my vendors.

9. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

If I am not mistaken I do believe that gathering and refining materials was more cost effective in WOW then making the product out right and selling it you could sell 10 ingots of X for X and those were relatively easier to produce than the whole item and not cost effective since you only got one of the product and hell if you could sell once placed on the AH with others underselling you within minutes of posting

just a quick tidbit from what I remember of WOW: WOTLK (that was the last I played of it)

I remember spending HOURS shopping store to store for "slayer books" and "slayer weapons" not just those but deco as well which is why I hope weapons get the "intelligent" or "slayer" status after completing certain hard to complete achievements (adds to value of weapons) but I also hope weapons break and make use of those skills we have in the tactics tree and make use of the repair option from crafters. Repair deeds feel like a cheat so someone doesn't have to train a skill or interact with another player. even a Kit to repair simple things take some kind of skill

everything I said is opinion and nothing more but, I really don't want to see another game hold my hand and play the game for me.

PK U likes this.
  10. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I think the point is that crafters don't want to grind out repair kits. Boring. We want to make epic armor! But if no one buys the mundane stuff then there really is no way to fund skilling up just so that "some day" I might sell a couple of pieces of better gear. Unless, of course, everyone in the game is already outfitted, like maybe after a year or two after launch. So I would suggest that if you guys want a variety of choices of gear that so that you can look and fight as awesomely as possible then you gotta accept the fact that crafting such gear needs to be a profitable endeavor or no one will want to do it at all. Might as well just remove it from crafting now and RNG your way to awesomeness instead.

11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@PK U funny thing is on WoW I spent more time at th AH than playing, so I was really low level chr, like 68... I made all my money on "Scopes" which could be mounted on either Guns or Bows to give extra damage, and once bound, had to be replaced...

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'm with the OP.

As a follow up, why would anyone level up repair? Even at level zero you can just bang away at it until it is 100.

Aimend and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That's why the game is supposed to buy the mundane stuff to populate loot tables. Currently, with the poor choices of materials being worth more than gear, it isn't cost effective to make mundane items. This forces crafters to only specialize in the extreme items that don't have as much demand once purchased, or they are priced above the level of newbs that need the gear and can't afford to buy it because crafting is an upside down investment currently. Destroyable permadeath gear doesn't resolve any of the basics, it only affects the highest end gear and even then not very much.

Ice Queen and cartodude like this.
  14. Selene

Selene Avatar

I disagree. If all gear (eventually) breaks, I am more likely to buy low end gear in the field if my main set breaks, and I am more likely to have less than perfect-uber-critted gear that I wear day to day (this I would also most likely just replace when it breaks rather than go to the expense of the advanced repair)

Aimend likes this.
  15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Only if said gear was worth the cost. And even then, most of that gear you would probably get from killing things that are in that loot table range.

Currently, the investment to make smaller end gear isn't worth it to the crafters (or at least I don't see lots of them flooding the market). If/When crafters start making that gear are they likely to sell it on their vendors (for max money) or to NPC vendors (for loss of money because of mat cost) so loot table can be populated?

***EDIT***
    As a clarification, I'm the sort to use the perfect-uber-critted gear in my day to day and have a lesser as a backup in case the uber is broken. What's the point of having good gear if you are too afraid to use it?

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

Well, can't argue with that. Hopefully they will give it a lot more balance before the game is launched.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, if I had a Porsche 911 Targa, I wouldn't be afraid to drive it.. but I might not park it in the grocery store parking lot next to the mini-van with a 6 kid sticker family. :D:D:D

Aimend and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

When I played UO, it was probably not a well knows fact that a brand new blade period hit better then one that had been used. So as a sneaky PK, I would run around in a rob with my brand new deadly poison Kryss killing people. Every time I went out, I took a brand new Kyrss. I don't remember this wrecked economy that people talk about, maybe it was in the later years after I quit. But for the first 3 years there was an epic economy and I had GM everything and utterly bankrolled in gold.

PK U likes this.
  19. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

HEY!! There is nothing wrong with my 6 kid sticker family mini-van!

Acred and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  20. Selene

Selene Avatar

Keep those chocolate fingered munchkins away from my theoretical dream car. :D:D:D

Acred, PK U, Woftam and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.