Are travel times reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pleione, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I was thinking the avatar was a little large in scale on the overland map, and traveling a bit too fast even before he was sped up. Right now, even as a new character you can go from one side of the world to the other without risk and make it through or around control points. It's a fine line between convenience, and making the world seem small and trivial. Of course, without overland map encounters and rush really having much effect yet it could change. Certainly don't think it needs to be faster.

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

+1 It's time to slow down and enjoy the game.

3. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Well, 13 mins is kinda fast ^^ ... I remember some flights in Elite Dangerous to meet a friend or fleet cammerade which took about 30-45 mins (in civilised space without interdictions by pirates or other unwanted stuff). Even in WoW (God cleanes my mouth with soap after mentioning this game) there are several routes to travel before you reach other places far away (takes you 30-45 mins to reach when not using a teleporting spell (not available to all classes)). ...

And if you want to meet someone in SotA quickly just use a teleport scroll ... or craft one ... or buy one of an helpful alchemist. Else: Enjoy the sightseeing ;)

Tahru likes this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The point is, uh, control.

(Actually I haven't seen any point to controlling the uh control points - except that you get experience and potentially loot, but eventually you just get tired of controlling the point and you walk away from it).

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally don't think that it's fun spending my limited gaming time running from one place to another. Unfortunately, it seems that there are a lot of other people who do.

6. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

I use to play EVE... even wrote a guide on planetary mining that was rather popular in its day. The difference in Eve is that even with the best ship, your heart gets pounding when you make those runs - its not "Point character. Press W".

Moiseyev Trueden and Budner like this.
  7. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Unfortunately, that's an unfortunate use of the word unfortunately.

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, wait a minute....

Is someone complaining that the map is too big!?!? And takes too much time to cross!?!? Hahahahahahahaha

That's a *good* thing. That's a *good* problem. That's the kind of 'problem' you want to have. The bigger the better. The more time it takes the better. Still is 100x smaller than UO's map, and UO's traveling from what I've seen. I'm happy with it being as massive as possible.

Kaisa, Fister Magee and Acred like this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

Because Single Player Online exists, and because offline players have been encouraged to try Single Player Online, the game must support single person traversal of control points. That could mean scaling of difficulty to size of party (including one), or providing alternate paths, or whatever. Regardless, it is probably not reasonable to expect an individual to hold a control point. I'm not aware of those people being averse to PVE combat. In many cases people choose to play alone simply because other players destroy their immersion.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well imho the speed of travel on the map is fine........ Although no doubt it will end up being broken again to make you move slower which was one of my pet hates........that and bloody random instances.

11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

That is your right, and I respect your stance on the subject.

12. Curt

Curt Avatar

IF they finally implements horses that works on the over map , i think current speed could be the one you move with a horse

Maka and Razimus like this.
  13. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

If you run into a blockade, your heart gets pounding. When you set out on the journey and when you see a ton of names in local, your heart gets pounding. But the vast majority of those jumps, I'd see one or two people in local at most and it was mostly just mindless clicking. That's why I felt so safe making runs with several billion worth of implants in my dram, most of the time it was entirely uneventful.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah 0.0 local Intel Alliance channels. Good old times.
    Smack talk at it's finest.
    Non the less the only useful protection that exists.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

your right...13 minutes to get from one end to the other is...childs play.

But its a dev decision if they want novia to feel smaler then my bathroom or bigger then my country. Seems they opted for the first.

And in regards of scrolls and teleports to friends and housing....well, who walks anyway exept me?

truce is, there were great roleplaying games back at the time, you told you friends you would go to a dungeon at place X the next day, and everybody was at place X on the next day. That dungeon toke preparation in matter "get there in time" and know the way how to get there. In SotA...well...you can arrive 10 minutes late without any preparation and still be on the other end of the map only a few minutes later.

I miss the old times ;)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. Selene

Selene Avatar

There was some talk of slowing travel when off of roads and slightly increasing speed ON roads to encourage people to take well-worn paths.

17. uziraff

uziraff Avatar

That system was beyond annoying. Unless you had perfect control at all times you would end up 1 foot off the path and your character acted like it was walking through an npc.

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm good with the travel times. Any less and the overland map would feel too small and the game would take a beating in public reviews for it.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Ice Queen likes this.
  19. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The implication here is that if you take control of a control point that travel through is assured. What does that mean? Whenever I have been on a controlled point, a wave of much more difficult mobs appear. Doesn't that make passage much more difficult?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. Womby

Womby Avatar

I do. I am extremely miserly and walk (or run, or "gallop") everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.