An empty world

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danjacobsmith, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I've never played anything but the multiplayer online mode. It seems weird to have these other two online modes to me. I still have not heard a reason that would make me want to. I'm still pretty new here, so there's got to be more to it than just what has been mentioned here. Seems like a waste of development time and money, IMO, just so a few folks can harvest and skill all by themselves. Might be good when the game goes live, maybe, so I don't have to share resources with other players. But does that mean that once we do launch, that the world will be even more lonely than it is now? What's that do to the economy? If resources can be gathered like that, why are there any controls as to how many you can get in multiplayer at all? Very confusing.

I am also sad that most of us are not being allowed to chat like the rich folks can. Seems like a weird thing to be locked out of in an MMO. I wonder if the trouble of blocking people who spam or annoy in a global chat is worth closing such an important social aspect off. Is it really going to do the game justice.?

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

This game began life as a selective multiplayer game.

Some people like to play games solo, offline.
    Some people like to play games solo, but enjoy the changing content of an online world.
    Some people like to play with just their friends.
    Some people like to play games with everybody possible.

Shroud of the Avatar was going to be a new type of game that offered all of those experiences.

So, multiple modes were not supposed to be a waste of development time and money. The different modes were part of the design, from the beginning, in order to appeal to every type of gamer.

The fact that people leverage the single player mode for multiplayer mode advantage is an accidental feature. The fact that multiplayer fans use it that way says something about their mindset.

They also decided against global chat because they think it damages immersion, but offered the chat orbs as a perk for people that pledge more money (nobles can afford magic orbs).
    Like it or not, it's a fund raising tool, not a way to block spammers tool.

Rael, Fister Magee, Xandra7 and 5 others like this.
  3. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I get why people want different types of ways to play the game. That's fine by me. Doesn't effect me in any way ... except that now it just might. It just never dawned on me that all of the different online versions were "connected" like that. I hope that this "accidental feature" is on someones exploit list to fix . I'm no economy expert or anything, but I am not sure that the multiplayer version's economy can really thrive with an unlimited amount of resources available for all.

And yeah, I 'm aware that this whole thing is dependent on crowd funding. I'm actually in for a crazy amount already (and still probably not done, knowing me). I get it. It just seems like a feature I wouldn't want only a select few to have in the social world we all live in today. It's not like a decoration or a house or something like that. It's a way to meet people and for the community to get to know each other. If a player were concerned about immersion, it should be a simple task to just turn global chat off. At least some kind of zone chat, as suggested, would be a good compromise. Otherwise, sounds like it might remain quite a lonely game in the future, and now it will have an unbalanced economy to boot :(

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Guild chat and party chat are global, too. I don't miss not being able to partake in the noble's chat, just as I don't miss not being able to join a guild chat of a guild that I don't belong to.:)

Ristra likes this.
  5. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

I think you misunderstand. I don't want to be in the "nobel chat". I don't even know who any of those guys are. I would like to have a global chat though. I don't think I should have to commit myself to a guild to chat with other folks in the game either. Guess I'll just have to set up my own teamspeak or something since folks seem to think its a bad idea to be allowed to talk to folks here. I find it strange.

6. JaeJaeMe

JaeJaeMe Avatar

I have little opinion either way. So far, I've played either in Friends or Solo mode. And since I have very few friends, I'm mostly alone in the world. My next foray into New Britannia will be in MP mode. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.