1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Exciting News for the Shroud of the Avatar Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by FireLotus, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I have wonderful news for all of you, Avatars! As we approach Final Wipe, and ultimately launch, we want to be sure that the Community continues to grow and evolve into all that it can be. To do that, we are bringing in a new community manager who will be dedicated to you, our amazing Community! Our team has a lot planned for the upcoming milestones, especially R32, and having a Community Manager in the office and focused on Community is a big part of it.

Please show your support by welcoming Mathew “Berek” Anderson to the community as Senior Community Manager for Shroud of the Avatar! He has been a dedicated fan of the game since the beginning. Berek is here for you, will support your creativity and passion as I have done, and is always ready to answer your questions, and… most importantly, to listen to what you have to say. He will be active in the forums, in game, and on all of our social media channels, so feel free to reach out to him.

We have found an amazing person to take on my mantle, so I am confident you are in the best hands! I am thrilled that Mathew is joining the team, as there is so much that we have wanted to do to enhance our work with the community, and with him at the helm, we will now have that opportunity!

Mathew comes to us as a local Texan, so we didn’t have too far to look. Previously, he's worked on several MMORPG projects, and I’ve also heard a few rumors that he has one of the largest rune libraries in Ultima Online. No, it's not Goodman's, but it is on the Atlantic shard. :)

All of us at Portalarium are looking forward to working with him on some pretty exciting opportunities we have coming up for you in the months ahead, so stay tuned on that front.

And I know that right about now, some of you are wondering what is happening to FireLotus… :p

Another important part of the next few milestones will be finishing up the story and breathing life into Novia, and that is where my focus will be moving forward. So, do not feel saddened! The Bard in me rejoices that I will be able to immerse myself in story and lore! I will still be here with you, though in more of a support role for all things community. And I will even have more time for Dev-led Events and RP!

Welcome to Novia, Berek! Huzzah!

2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks Gina! Greetings and salutations community!

I'm excited and proud to be the new community manager for Shroud of the Avatar. When I had the opportunity join Portalarium and work with such an amazing community, I had to make the move. I believe that a great game is made most successful by what I call the Community Glue. The amazing Portalarium team combined with a positive, friendly, and respectful community are the ingredients for that glue.

When it comes to Shroud of the Avatar, I’m all in – watching every Hangout of the Avatar, NBNN update, participating here in the forums, and of course checking out all of the community activities in the game itself. There’s always something to look forward to and amazing to look back on every day in this community. I wish I previously had more time to play and get to know all of you, but that’s ok, because now we have that chance :).

Hopefully this is all great to hear, but you probably still want to know who the heck I am...

The story begins in a highly contested land called Felucca, where the rule of law is in the hands of the individual. This was the first time I explored an MMORPG world, and was nearly my last. I was minding my own business, simply fishing alongside a creek, when a thief came up to attack me. Little did he know that I was once lord of a nearby kingdom and quite able to handle a petty thief.

As the thief struggled with my hand bag, I managed to grab my short sword, hitting him on the head with the blunt edge. Stunned, but not deterred, the thief pulled a large dagger out from his back scabbard, taking a jab at my torso. This was no thief, but an assassin! As the assassin attempted to recover from a poor strike, I swung quickly upward, slicing through his outstretched wrist and severing his hand.

While the assassin screamed in rage, an old man on horseback came up along the nearby trail. He quickly stunned my would-be assassin with a lightning strike spell, allowing me to secure the assassin. The old man and I then headed to the nearby town of Minoc to turn the assassin into jail, and post a town hall notice that the local roads were to be watched carefully over the next few days.

After that incident, I was forever known by my new friend and the town’s people as Berek, Illustrious Lord and Skilled Fisherman!

On the less dangerous but no less adventurous side of my career, my community management experience started at various MMORPG networks like Stratics.com. I was also a guide in the EverQuest guide program, as well as getting my house decorating priorities in order in Ultima Online. A few years ago, I swam across the ocean to China to teach English for a year, before returning and continuing my work at studios like Portalarium.

Most importantly for you, I am not so much a ‘manager’, but your guide and supporter, a supporter for your shared quest to build a great community for Shroud of the Avatar. I've seen many faces interested in the game since the Kickstarter, so I’m keen in working with all of you to make this community a success. There’s a lot of exciting game content coming up, so let’s work together to make it a fun experience for all avatars!

For now, some fun facts about myself:
    • Favorite all-time board game is Settlers of Catan (Explorers & Pirates specifically)
    • Shamefully lost every competitive LARP event I’ve been a part of
    • Favorite films include Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, 2001, Goonies, Labyrinth, Neverending Story
    • I’m a techy, so I love randomly rearranging and upgrading parts in my computers
    • First person to guess my favorite dessert gets a SotA t-shirt :).
    For all other mischievous shenanigans, you can visit my website at: http://www.mathewanderson.com, or just ask me here.

See you in New Britannia!

3. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Berek your first listed favorite film is an odd numbered Star Trek film? FOR SHAME!

Seriously though welcome to community/position etc. may your reign be free of trolls.

Edit: My favourite dessert is Icecream. If you aren't a member of team icecream I don't want you dirty rival dessert shirt. :p (Lies... I love all desserts, but Icecream is the best, icecream is love)

4. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Welcome, Berek!
    Looking forward to having you on the team! :D

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Haha, that was just the series, so I'm open to refining my love of Star Trek further... II being my favorite btw ;).

6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Welcome Berek! So glad to see your UO story involving a PVP experience. Please help guide the community and Portalarium to a fair and meaningful PVP experience in addition to everything else. Welcome aboard!

7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Welcome!

Tiramisu?

Also, if you have not had hand made Tiramisu I'll wait. Shirt size is medium ;)

8. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Proceed...

9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Welcome aboard Berek!

10. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Welcome! It's always nice to have fresh meat.

~fidgets~

11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Welcome on board Berek!
    Just dont forget to toss out some scraps of human flesh to keep the cannibals at bay...

as for your dessert hmmm... coconut pie?

12. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

Sticky Toffee Pudding?

13. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

14. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

The first movie wasn't a movie... It was an elongated episode, hence the name "Star Trek the SlowMotion Picture"!...

I'ma Trekkie, and not ashamed to say it!

I like Icecream too, but my favorite is Tira Misu!

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

16. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

And since you're a Texan, I'd guess Bread Pudding with Vanilla sauce!

17. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Banana Pudding

18. fantalio

fantalio Avatar

19. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Welcome Berek !

20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Well you've been here for quite awhile already, so I can't say Welcome to Sota - But - Welcome to your new role! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.