Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat would be less frustrating if enamies didnt always run!

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Evenios, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evenios

Evenios Avatar

Ok i dont mean to gripe of late just in one of those moods i guess....... Combat is kinda frustrating when enemies keep running at like half health. i can understand maybe ONCE in a while or SOME enemies chose to run but nearly all of them ive fought so far? its just frustrating when you have to chase them down more so if you have AOE spells and they go out of range because they are bloody running away!

Not all of the baddies in the game are cowards are they?

2. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Even worse when they run you into even more of their "friends".

The ability to pull MOBs in this game is lackluster to say the least.

Nhili Dragon and Leelu like this.
  3. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Archers and mages should be trying to get out of reach of your melee attacks.

The ONLY mob in the game that angers me is the Faun. That mob runs away until he starts to regen hitpoints all the while I'm paddling his arse with my blades... not cool!

Leelu likes this.
  4. Evenios

Evenios Avatar

well its not just them i notice wolves and such do it too. what wolves are cowards now? lol

Nhili Dragon, Leelu and r-DotPhunky like this.
  5. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

But the rabbits are killers ;)

Leelu and r-DotPhunky like this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I like my enemies running from me, shows that I'm doing something right :).

Senash Kasigal, Leelu and Weins201 like this.
  7. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

I have seen wolves lose their willingness to fight after I've beaten them a bit... but they didn't run away so much as back up a few steps... I will go try that out this release!

8. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

BIG FANGS!

Leelu likes this.
  9. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

How dare things try to survive when us outlanders and laying waste to entire populations. Just stand there and let us kill you dernit!
    Sorry to be sarcastic, but really? The line of sight on these mobs are crazy as is. You should not be able to 'pull' a mob out of an encampment and no one notice the fighting. Seeing a mob clearly nearby just saying "dee, ta dee doo, wondering what to do" is comical.

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Uwe you have to actually work to kill :oops:

This is AWSOME and the targeting seems ot be working so oyu can stay on target, now just need the movement tweaks, which didn't make it in today :confused:

11. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you're going to make them run away, at least try to make them look like they're running out of the zone.

I loved it in Ultima 4 but right now wolves are just standing there beyond arm's reach staring at you.

Leelu likes this.
  12. Armaden Restal

Armaden Restal Avatar

Lost in the Corners of my Mind! aka St Louis, MO.
    Not everything should run away, or at least their willingness to stand and fight should be different (cowardly-berserk). Running just out of arms reach and stopping tells me that I need to work on archery or magic more.

13. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

This is a good example where the "reality" argument just doesn't fly. Yes, it's "realistic" that enemies run away when hurt. But it's simply not fun constantly chasing them. Realism should never trump fun in a game. It's a game. It's meant to be fun.

Bluefire likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

But, like some of the older Ultima game(s), you're not necessarily supposed to kill fleeing foes; you get loot and XP but it's dishonourable. I'd argue that it's the a key element to the foundation of the series.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not really fun to just stay in one place and hit a loot bag over and over until it collapses either.

I haven't played combat for a few releases, so maybe I'm out of touch with what you guys are talking about... I've been a bit annoyed with the archers because I dont think chasing archers in circles at a short distance is either good gameplay or very realistic either. They should have a limited supply of arrows, use their bows at a distance, and use a hand to hand as a backup imo. Wolves would run away then stop, let you run up to them, and then run away again. That doesn't make sense.. that's just a kind of stupid cat and mouse behavior.

On the other hand, I do think that melee fighters, for instance, should act more defensive. For instance, step back and wait for you to come in, so they have an advantage against you. I also think mobs should actually flee, and not just back off so you can run after them, if they don't want to fight.

16. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

Especially when they initiated the combat. I did my best to break that wolf's legs, and it still somehow manages to run faster than the wind!

hoylegu likes this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't really mind it, but with most zones having a mob pool that's roughly 1/3 fighters 1/3 mage and 1/3 archers, it makes the game somewhat range-centric and also makes grouping kind of chaotic. I don't think that's necessarily bad though, just different. You get used to it after a while.

18. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I don't see what is fun about chasing MOBs around simply because they are "ranged" or play cat and mouse games when they are hurt. Fleeing would be fine, but moving just out of range repeatedly until you find yourself engaged in new combat is not interesting. Too much of the world attacks us. Wolves should not attack unless in a pack. Bears should not attack unless cornered. We need more passive animals. There should be several forests where only one type of animal is aggressive.

hoylegu, GreyMouser2 and Gravidy like this.
  19. Magos

Magos Avatar

If it were life like the one mob would call an alarm and you'd have dozens of defenders attacking you. A balance needs reaching.

For solo content clearly a single player should be able to pull a manageable number of level appropriate mobs without alerting more mobs that the player can't handle - otherwise it isn't solo content.

My biggest disappointment in the game remain that aggro ranges are too big across the board and mobs kiting me if I'm melee. It's been this way for so long now that I'm thinking it's by design rather than mistake and from me it's a big thumbs down.

Bluefire and hoylegu like this.
  20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I have been spending more time with water spell tree and I fine it's much easier to stop the mobs from running away from by just punching them with my ice fist. Ice field is also useful if I want to lure a train of mobs and keep distance.

There are a few other ways to prevent mobs from running. You'll just gotta readjust the expectation that the mob will just stand still and let you smack it till death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.