1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I mentioned it in this thread…I do not have a problem with COTOS or degeneration in general…I see there more a problem with the mode of implementation.

Degeneration is needed to let people constantly buy new items but if you can (by usage of $, gold or time) still easily repair your items I fear most will not buy new items and this will be damaging the player driven market.

Yes there should be a possibility to repair your items just by spending gold or time but this kind of repair has to be more and more expensive the more often you use it….to let people the choice to either pay (at some point) vast amounts of gold, buy new items or COTOS in the shop.

So if the COTOS really has to remain…I would suggest these changes:
    - No gold COTOS are ingame collectable
    - Just gold COTOS can be used to repair items without side effects
    - Items can be repaired with ingame methods but each time you do a counter is raising making the next repair for this item more expensive (e.g. you simply need each time of repair one addition item...no matter if that are repkits or ingame found silver COTOS)

But even with these changes I think selling gear will be quite difficult in the future…on the point of view of a crafter the COTOS are kind of frustrating. :(

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

For me this decision was the 100% final knock out of loosing more customers.

You say it is all overexaggeratet.

I just need to look at the amount of likes the dissapointet and angry posting get in this thread vs the supportive to easy understand it will have a negative impact.

That simple.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Still around?
    I thought you quit.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Could it be that the people in favor of Obsidian Crowns are simply wary of more Pay2win1!!1!!! discussion? I know I am.

I feel like any attempt at logical conversation ends with a Kermit flail while throwing down a pay2win trump card. Then the same 3 people like that post and make a new one.

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

No it is just simple : they do not like it

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

How can't they like something most of them didn't even try?

7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I quit playing. Yes.

But like many still follow what is happening. In the hope i get convinced to return. This did cause the opposite of course.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. Drocis the Devious

I'm aware that some people don't like it. I don't really think they all understand it. But I'm totally aware that some people don't like it.

Unfortunately it's one of those topics that can't always be discussed reasonably. People believe what they want to believe.

cartodude and Snikorts like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That's awsome.
    Only problem is that a lot of negativ comments and likes come 'from people like you'.
    You know I always liked your Input to this game (well most of the time ^^) but I start to get a problem with people that stop playing severeal releases ago and have a opinion on something they never tested.
    That's not Personal. You are just the first one I get a hold of that easy in this topic ;-)

Vesper Merchant and Womby like this.
  10. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

I don't have any issue with people not liking the funding structure. There has been an addon store for some time now and it is not for everyone......I get that.

The issue I have is when an item is placed on the store and in reality is little different from anything else (principle that everything bought can be sold for gold) and people who were 'ok' now start to scream blue murder when in fact nothing has changed.

11. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hi Weins,

If I understood what you meant by 'win' I might be in agreement. What is the criteria for 'winning' in SotA. Personally, if I'm having fun, I'm winning--and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of the game.

Hehe, Noric, if 'economic success' is the criteria for 'winning', I'm not doing too well. Shoot, I could say the same about my real-life. For me it's all about happiness, both in RL and Novia. And thus far I'm satisfied with both.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

12. Drocis the Devious

Amen.

Ya know what's kind of funny is that I know for a fact that I could play a traveling bard with no housing, no crafting skills whatsoever, use the cheapest armor and weapons to make my way through the world of Novia and I would be among the happiest players in the game. I can think of probably 10 other examples of "happy" characters I could play using a $45 account just off the top of my head.

I don't understand what people think they're no longer capable of "winning". It's something that must have nothing to do with roleplaying and a whole lot to do with ROLL playing. That's the whole reason I'm here. Because this game gives players so many tools to perform real roleplaying. I'm really excited about the future.

13. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

And this whole argument over selling to an NPC to get rich quick....the argument is so poor it's depressing.

I mean let's face it if someone decided to get rich by buying items from the store and selling to players via vendors they can. That is fact, that's the way life is in an MMO where you have free trade.

So out of interest economic and game funding wise what is better? Someone buying off the store and selling it to a player for say 2000 gold with the item still in circulation, or someone selling that item to an NPC for 250 gold where the item goes "puff". Taking into consideration the seller wants 2000 gold regardless and that gold is always conjured whether it is from an NPC vendor or a Troll.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Not to mention that the same people doing this would turn to goldsellers for help if the system wasn't there.
    Even Blizzard had to understand that. They needed 6 years and lost several Million USD while they made up their mind.

15. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

That is all fine and well. Still doesn't excuse that it clearly breaks the Kickstarter promises that were made as thousands/millions of dollars were raised and not even a apology is given when they are broken. It is ok though, it is not like breaking promises, changing/manipulating the language hasn't happened before.

This just happens to be like announcing in 2013 that they were going to make Empire Strikes Back, but now two months before release it is announced that is The Phantom Menace instead. Sure, it may make more money, but it will still suck.

Solazur likes this.
  16. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

Where was the kickstarter promise that the would be no addon store?

cartodude and Womby like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am sorry TEK but I saw your original post and I am not able to see a broken promise.
    As I already said there:
    They are selling crowns to YOU and YOU can sell them if you want.
    It's up to YOU.
    That said: i understand why you are pissed even i read the stuff you posted different.

18. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

Yes, that is how it works when a game company sells its own gold/currency to players. Unfortunately, that breaks the promises that were made.

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Surprised this thread is still open, quite frankly....

cartodude and Leelu like this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

For me that's a real big difference.

Edit:
    Because that would mean the whole add on is a problem.

cartodude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.