1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

Gold is the currency in the game which is not being sold. Every item that is sold on the addon store can be sold in game for gold, some are more liquid than others as they can be easily sold and once the game launches their value will become fairly stable.

Crowns are not true game currency. It is an item that is likely to be fair liquid in the same way a black/white dye might turn out to be fairly liquid :D

2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I prefer someone who attracts and help fresh meat, to someone who can just open the wallet and dump it on devs.

The lifeblood of every MMO is new players, not the same old players shelling out again and again.

Even if old farts like me dump(ed) insane amounts of cash on Portalarium, if the playerbase doesn't expand, it's doomed to be a declining trend.

Players who stream the content, who write newbie guides, who endear newcomers with exciting adventures are far more precious than the thousands of dollars they put into the software house coffers. Far, far, far more.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I disagree.
    But I get your point.
    I still think both is needed and both deserves respect.

Onyx of EVL and Katrina Bekers like this.
  4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised.

While on the one hand, yes, the amount of backlash/rage/butthurt being put here is in varying amounts of excess, it's also necessary for Portalarium to get an honest read on how people really feel.

@Berek and the mods are doing a good job of keeping this burning ship on course, and I think this thread will continue through until some time around the Post-Mortem Hangout this week, in which I hope they address the issue in a clear and easy-to-understand format. I won't be able to watch the Hangout because I'll be at HoBLotH, and most likely unable to access a fast enough internet connection, although stranger things have happened, and there is always the possibility of the Avatars Radio simulcast. (go go SotA Community App!)

I have previously stated my suggestions for how to modify this system to be fair and rewarding in this thread, so if you missed it, just go back a dozen or so pages (look for my signature banner, that'll save time).

FrostII, Snikorts, Moonshadow and 2 others like this.
  5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It won't but Chris assuming that Avatars will set the value of COTO is false as long as we can measure them against real money purchases such as the city lot deed and in game purchases made in gp. Port is setting the value of COTO because we will always be able to cross reference against items we can get for $ and/or gp.

That being said I won't be surprised to see these all over player vendors for 1000+ gp as people try to get something for nothing. If I can kill 10 skeletons for 1000gp and my drop rate for a COTO is 1000:1 on the same skeletons why would I not spend the 1000gp to grab a COTO even knowing it undervalues certain items we have bought with $$.

1235 COTO in real money purchases just equals the $ value of a city lot deed and so we need to assume they are divisible.

After I did some edits for late night phat thumb typing on my cell phone. Loose or lose? Who cares! Just mash a word in there and keep going. ;)

This is our very own SOTA urban legend. 2 years later and there is no insight on it. Auctions will be unfair due to large guilds (if based solely on gp or COTO...) and will suffer from the same favoritism we have seen during development. I think it's a horrible idea that is likely to be poorly executed.

6. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Nope, its from Apr 14, 2016.
    Darkstarrs Post
    41) 14:44 <+StarLord> Question: what will the POT home vendor sell?
    A: Decorations, Lottery tickets for Lot Deeds, Homes

Miracle Dragon and cartodude like this.
  7. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    cartodude, Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So your ire directed toward me is because I made @Themo Lock leave the game?
    How was I able to accomplish this (admittedly bad) feat?

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that the introduction of the new currency will mean that there is even less focus put on the offline part of the game. It is important for the game to generate a constant flow of money so the online part definitely has priority. And even more so with the new currency. Offline seems to become more and more something that is only an afterthought and is in the game only because it was announced during the Kickstarter campaign. Even the introduction of the talking human pets doesn't help to generate a different impression...

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

#shockamazementdisbelief

11. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

How you read that in my post is beyond me.

I prefer people who spend a lot AND do their best to expand the playerbase to people who spend a lot and feel this urge to showoff how rich they are.

It's a personal preference, dictated by direct experience since MUDs.

The former are useful for the bottom line and the game, the latter only for the bottom line. Up to devs who they want to support.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I serve how I'm best able, Ma'am.

I've neither the time, skill set, nor the inclination to be a @Themo Lock or a @Winfield. If that offends thee, there is naught I can do about that. If using the resources available to me to build a place for potentially hundreds of other Avatars to live and play in game offends your sensibilities there is naught I can do about that. If you see it as simply some form of self aggrandizement, there is naught I can do about that. I know my own heart, and what I've built I've built to provide that place in game for those other than myself. I've no intention of using what I've built for personal gain either in game or out. When all is said an done, I'm very likely to have an investment equivalent to a Lord of the Manor. About 10% of that total will have been spent on me, the balance being poured into making Dawn's Keep an attractive place to live and play, providing as near as possible the same benefits there as in any NPC Town or PRT in the game.

Your anger toward me is in my humble opinion misplaced.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Relax guys, people are just emotional at the moment.

14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks. We're trying to strike a careful balance between control and letting you guys vent. We see the contention here, and are doing our best to understand your viewpoint. Some of the community though wants to write 5 page long posts and a declaration declaring war, and that is NOT ok. That is where the line is crossed.

Keep the constructive feedback coming, but know that there is a reasoned limit on badgering other players and the devs.

My Edit: We'll have some time during this week's Postmortem on Wednesday to better present our position that we've had in written form since Friday. We'll also be taking your questions, but please realize that not every question will be possible in the time we have.

15. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Here- Here, bravo.

16. Berek

And we're going to be increasingly promoting such content too! Please hit me up with a link to cool community stuff that I can toss up on Twitter, YouTube, etc :).

17. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

to be frank I think a lot of people are getting way off point here, the four points this post is about is 1, the coins affecting the economy 2, the coins affecting repairs 3, the coins being sold for gold and 4, buying\finding the coins ratio or rarity so could we please keep it on track to that in a constructive way please.

- causing people to leave is not what this thread is about
    - chris has stated that this game is pay to win so there is no need to continue arguing the point if it is or not

As it stands I have made my points in several post that I do not like the coins for various reasons so I shall not go back into detail. Is this going to cause me to leave the game - no. Will I have anything to do with the coins no matter how they are implemented - no. Will this affect my gameplay - possibly but at the end of the day do I really care to the point of screaming my lungs out - no

I intend to avoid the coins as much as possible, ill prolly sell the ones given to me or the ones I find for cheap on my vendor and play the game the way I enjoy playing it, I also plan on doing a lot with the community in terms of helping the economy and also planning events ect.

I understand that berek and co want to keep this thread open for constructive feedback but I think its long overdue to close as I'm pretty sure everyone has had there say and now its all getting either repeated, misinterpreted or just plain insulting each other.

As a community I know we all have varied opinions on pretty much every topic but please remember were all here to encourage each other to enjoy the game togeather as this game will not be fun with only a couple of people running around, it will be more fun with everyone running around to make it look busy and productive. A perfect little phrase comes to mind when thinking about this last sentence which is "It takes a village..."

Anyway I look forward to seeing most of you ingame on Final Wipe and remember - please don't take my spot hehe

18. Berek

Thanks Matheryn :). We are allowing good discussion here so we can ensure our response on the postmortem and elsewhere this week is direct to your questions as much as reasonably possible.

Will we lock this thread? Not yet, but that's always open for the "this thread has run its course" lock. I don't like to do that though unless it's gone very very bad, and this is a special circumstance.

As I've said before, as long as we keep it civil on all levels, we're good for now.

19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Trying to make this constructive feedback instead of just saying: This will let you loose customers ( as in my previous post)

I feel that the announcement of sales of coins during a time the general Review Standing of the current Steam is " negative" will harm your sales when you will go "no more wipe" . What even so you consider as not a release will be perseved as a "release" for customers. Ignoring that Portalarium says it is not.

I ask myself when will the Game be "Reviewed" as released?.

I read an article that the general "Review Standing" on Metacritic influence huge how much your possible sales will go at release.
    So i think this will be the Same for the "Steam Review Standing" at "Release".

Based on experience of other games Sales can be x2 times to x4 times then during the hole Early Access Time.

So of course you want your Game to have a better "Review" Standing when you go "no more wipe".
    And i think your Coins Decision will prevent further increase of "good reviews" - leading to less sales.

Read this nice article showing the huge difference of Sales Games have depending on the Review Standing at release:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/steam-gauge-do-strong-reviews-lead-to-stronger-sales-on-steam/

Some examples of how Metacrtic Reviews influence Sales at the day of going out of Early Access your Sales:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So even so some do not like a negative post.

At the end it is truly not one. It is just a feedback .

My opinion.

Take care

20. Archer

Archer Avatar

@Myrcello
    Final wipe !== End of Early Access.
    That doesn't happen until Winter (November/December) at the earliest IIRC.

So your graphs are some what premature ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.