Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Max Durability Loss Rate

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Noric, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The price of materials has skyrocketed this release in relation to how much easier they are to get vs how much they are beign sold for (BMC prices are based on an underdeveloped and incomplete system)

If i had sold all of my copper ore and tin ore for the prices mentioned above, i could have earned enough gold to buy 2 housing lots and 2 houses in the game in a single day of casual mining.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

The information on the post above used BMC pricing guides. Not cause I thought they are the end all price masters in the game but due to the fact that in Owlshead the prices normally exceed that of BMC, and yes I can find some of those materials cheaper elsewhere. I do not deny that in any way shape or form. I only used them as a standard that was being set in the game that seemed to be a medium value.

Now in that creation of that suit I did not use salvage materials to create the ingots that would reduce the cost of the ore by half but again that is savings a crafter would pocket by supplementing his ore stocks with salvaged iron.

Now with the crit chances on armor, which I stated 1-in-4, so there potentially could be 3 armor pieces on could salvage to recover materials.The problem is the salvage materials would be worth less than selling that sub standard item on the market. The item is still top of the line gear just would not be able to buff it much to the loss of durability.

With putting the 2 enchantments and 2 master buffs on the item, if you fail they are blown up and you get some scraps not even really worth mentioning. Blow up enough stuff and you might be able to get a few ingots back.

I did not add the cost of enchantments or masteries on the price that was quoted. At 5 gold ingots or 5 silver ingots and 10 regents a shot that will add up quickly.

Now as stated before, this did not include the rings, necklaces, weapon, shield, cape, belt or instrument. So, even if the cost was set a bit high on the analyses, it was still well below what would be a full combat set would entail and cost.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Curt

Curt Avatar

Atm i think that could change so max durability only was reduced when a item was repaired.
    And how much was lost then could depend on repair skill.

Time Lord, Elnoth, Pickley and 4 others like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

Yep, that's how it should be, imo.

However, a few things if that's the path..
    All items should have /100 max durability (or more, but 100 as the base to start)
    Repair kits can only be used on broken gear. (0/100+)
    When used, they reduce the max dur by 10 if done in the field, and somewhere between 5-9 if done with appropriate skill at a crafting station, and one kit returns full normal durability to the new max (whatever that is)
    That way, that set of gear has a pre-determined life span of between 10 and 20 repairs.
    Death and use (fighting) would then only reduce normal durability, not max durability.
    This also places greater value on masterwork and enchanted items, provided they will be above 100 max durability at the start of their useful life.
    No need for crowns or any of that nonsense.

And if you wanted to be really clever, you could, in lieu of skill, allow for resources to be added to the repair process to reduce the max durability hit down to 5, but a GM tailor/carpenter/blacksmith wouldn't have to do that. Bonus extra resource sink! :)

Time Lord and Anvar like this.
  5. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Max durability loss rate is still way too high. Made some new gear to do some more testing with it but yesterday I lost a good 30 points of max durability off most of my gear, and the minimum was only a bit less than it, my sword which started at 41 max dur
    at start of days hunting ended at 1 / 9 after only 1/2 repairs. Imo an item should last at least 10 -20 full repairs (0-current maximum) ie losing 5-10 max dur per repair. Losing on repairs (more for field than at table) would make much more sense.
    Even having a break chance if the item is at 0 current dur wouldnt be a bad idea Imo, just lower the rate of max dur loss so it equates to 10 or so full repairs of the gear.

Basicly do as Agra above says and youd have a great system. Then simpy tweak the current durability loss rate to balance the loss rate of equipment for the economy

Time Lord likes this.
  6. losludvig

losludvig Avatar

When you combine those two suggestions, you end up in a place where you'll want to repair at a table, but are unable to do so before they break, so you'll need to carry a second set of gear everywhere you go, to not waste max durability on field repairs

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Curt

Curt Avatar

My suggestion:
    Only repair at stations and then repair it to full.
    • repair skill > lost durability max durability -1
    • repair skill > lost durability - 10 max durablity -2
    • repair skill > lost durability -20 max durability -3
    And to fully repair max durability we probably need something of equal worth to whats needed to craft the item in the first case

for blacksmithing items that uses metal perhaps you could need a number of ingots if the best metal the item was made of that had total weight > weight of the item.

Bluefire, Time Lord and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

This. There is no reason for MAX durability to decrease - ever - except when repairing an item.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. agra

agra Avatar

Only when you're under the 10 max durability. At which point, yes, you should have a second set of gear. You're going to need lots of extra sets of gear. That's the entire point of the gear breaking mechanic. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Doesn't matter if we don't get hit attacking still wears out armor. I went hours without getting hit still lost durability at same rate as face tanking

Time Lord, Moonshadow and Leelu like this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

Yep. First thing to go when emergent tactics appear is disparity from player skill. If not getting hit meant your armor lasted longer, melee plate wearers would complain until it was changed.
    Hey, look, it's been changed, now everyone gets to enjoy the same durability hit, immersion and internal consistency be damned. :)

Look at it this way Rofo, at least now you get to buy crowns just like everyone else. hehehe.

Time Lord and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

We will see, Yesterday I went through 4 Vendor Longbows, (each one broke, and max durability dropped to 72 at that time)
    I also went through 15k arrows, but I spent half the day working on mining again.. so in theory a full day would have completely destroyed at least 2 bows, and a suit of armor.

At the current rate of Max durability repair, I don't see why anyone would buy crafted anything or repair anything.
    I'm sure they'll work on that some more.

Time Lord, Beli, Moonshadow and 2 others like this.
  13. losludvig

losludvig Avatar

sorry I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was. you need to bring a second set of gear everywhere you go

Time Lord likes this.
  14. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

Can someone please explain what the purpose of repair kits is now?

All of this is damage sustained since the latest durability patch. I'd love to know the logic behind repairing 0/10 broken items? Your telling me I can get 110% use out of any item without having to use a golden crown?

[​IMG]

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  15. agra

agra Avatar

If you mean when your gear breaks you need to repair it? Yes, working as intended. If you don't want to repair it in the field, then i guess yeah, bring a second set?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. losludvig

losludvig Avatar

which was my point; a full set of say, plate armor weighs a lot so it would cut down on your adventuring time as you couldn't carry nearly as much loot. Having gear that either A) only was repairable at very low/completely broken durability or B) would lose less max durability when repaired at a table would be fine, but doing both would be annoying.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Im presuming the last tweak of maximum durability loss went the wrong way as now it seems even worse.
    Without repairing armour my meteoric chain is now droping min/max dur 1 for 1, so it will never get repaired.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

Looks like the fix for armor is in a patch that is either live is to be live soon.

Some new data would be great now...

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

sorry, to busy runnin around in my underwear :p

it does seem to be working a little more like what i have been told the intent is, but i am still in a store bought shirt, i can't afford to test the stuff i spent weeks crafting lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

It was just mentioned in chat that patch 426 has the correct/intended durability & max durability loss rates.
    EDIT:
    Tested this with the following:
    remove all gear except weapon (woo hoo for nekkid testing!)
    repaired my weapon (to 96/96) with a repair kit
    summoned a gustball.
    hit the gustball with auto attack until normal durability dropped by one. (95/96)

In the past (previous R30 build) I saw 55 auto attack swings before a single point of normal durability loss.
    Just now, in build 426, I saw a single point of normal durability loss after only 41 auto attack swings.

I repeated the test (repair, auto attack, wait until one dur drop), and saw it after 62 auto attack swings.

So, I'm not sure what's going on? It seems highly variable now? Unless a repair kit isn't rounding up or rounding down, or some other float/int problem? ;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.