Sorry - but I'm so lost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Josh Randall, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

To all precious resources the other players listed, add http://www.sotahelp.org - a site where volunteers can answer your questions, and a collection of useful link is listed. They are a great bunch of people, hold them dear!

2. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I found aerie and a few merchants - also found an adventurer trainer but haven't found the crafting trainer yet

Run out of gold real fast though :(

Time Lord and enderandrew like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You run out of gold fast early on, especially when buying your initial skills.

Josh Randall2 and Time Lord like this.
  4. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Well thanks for the help - doesn't look like this is for me - after several hours of play can't find anything to do except run around and get killed.

I've read the instructions - IMO this game needs an in game map, and some sort of guide to give players a way to start.

Don't know how any of you got as far as you have - it's beyond me for sure

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Depressing to be sure.

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

7. Tweedle Dum

Tweedle Dum Avatar

If you spot any members of EVL (Every Virtue is Lasting), hit em up for noob advice or help. We're a really friendly, helpful and awesome guild, and noob-help is part of our mandate. :)

If you can wrangle an invite to a control point run where they'll let you hide out in a dark corner and soak up XP and/or clean up after the folks doing the actual combat, it's a great way to build a fat purse of Adventurer XP, *and* pad your bank account...
    Once you gain a few adventurer levels and build up some skills, you're expected to jump in and help hold the control point, but as a newcomer, you'll want to focus on opening up your primary combat skill tree ASAP. One of the great things about control point runs is that a lot of the folks in EVL have grandmastered multiple skills, so chances are there's going to be someone in your group who has GM'd skills that will give you a bonus to raising up those skills yourself.

Find a good instance for someone your level, like say..King's Road on Hidden Vale. A good mix of critters (spiders, wolves, bears, skeletons), some resource nodes, and it's fairly close to Owl's Head, so you can go back to Mervyn the Skills Trainer and open up new skills as you build up.

Our guild town is called Virtue Oasis, over in the SW corner of Hidden Vale near Wynton's Folly and Wyrmsands. Stop by, there's usually a couple people around, usually in one of the big crafting halls. Say "Hi" and look around. :)

Alarick Sterling

8. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I stumbled on to one of these last night it wasn't pretty :(

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Blurk

Blurk Avatar

It *IS* a major departure from other MMOs that lead you around by the nose from quest hub to quest hub in a boringly linear fashion (coughWOWcough), but it's not for some people. I found it daunting at first, too, but once you understand that it's an interaction based environment, it gets better. Want to know who's got quests in a town? Talk to the local NPCs, look for keywords, try different phrases and combos. Learn their lore, learn their story, get their quests. Sometimes the quest you get doesn't even get turned into the same person you got it from. You have to read and digest. If you just want to click on guy with ! over his head, hit accept, and run off to collect X amount of Y junk so that he'll point you to the next jackamagaw with a ! over his head, then yeah, SotA may not be for you. I think Portalarium needs to find a happy middle ground between completely freakin' obscure and mindnumbingly-boring lead-by-the-nose, but that's just my opinion. :)

10. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I was overwhelmed too when I first started and asked a thousand questions. once you get a few things down then you will start to get hooked to it.. I tried Lotro and I did like it though there is something about his game that is Real and open.. and its this openest that can actually make you a bit lost as you do not know which direction to go in..

Thats why there will be paths ( which are not completed ) and also more stories and guides ( which are not in the game yet )..

Goto Soltown and ask every NPC there " Can I help you" and read there replies and follow there needs.. ( you do not have to go far for any of the task they give you ) ..
    Use the http://www.sotamap.com/ to navigate at first.

Click on users as they pass by and add them as friends.. you can ask them questions and also use them to teleport to other locations in the game..
    NOTE: Sometimes users may not answer due to them fighting/Crafting or not noticing you in the chat window so do not get discouraged or thing that they are just ignoring you..

There was thread that I think I saw quest and there solutions but I do not remember where is was.. "Roper DocHoliday" was creating one..

11. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

12. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I found the crafting trainer in aerie as well as most if not all of the specific vendors for crafting - so I think I'm good to go here.

I'll try to move over to soltown sometime this week - currently moved up to a 2 dot (skull) area on the road out of Aerie - can't do 2 skels yet but I can kill them - I just die at the same time as the last one goes down LOL

Katrina Bekers, Aldo and Time Lord like this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I do this a lot - I'm on a vendor or talking to an NPC and 5 minutes later notice someone was trying to chat to me. It will be easier if/when they finally implement detachable chat windows.

I find my most common action when low level is casting heals on myself. Make sure you've unlocked the innates for whatever weapon you're using as that'll give you bonus damage on your basic attack.

Time Lord, Josh Randall2 and Aldo like this.
  14. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Same here - I was hoping for a way to change the color specific text - like PC chat different color than NPC, Whisper different than Local etc.

Innates? Not sure I've read about them yet or know anything about them

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If you look at your adventuring skill trees (hit 'k' or visit a trainer), when you mouse over one of the icons it'll say "Combat Skill" or "Innate Skill" (from memory, someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure). The combat skills can be put in your deck and/or dragged onto your action bar, the innate skills are like character upgrades. In general the combat skills are to the left and the innates are to the right.

16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Maybe you don't care, but I'm extremely proud of players that never give up at first difficulties and bang their heads until their enemies are down for good.

Frustrating? Maybe.

Rewarding? You bet.

This game aims to be different. No hands held. So when you hold your own hand, the sense of achievement is ten times as strong.

Don't give up!

Aldo, Kara Brae, Acred and 5 others like this.
  17. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I'm still here and made it to Soltown - even found and completed one quest!

So I've not given up and yeah, I care ;)

Aldo, Balandar, Kara Brae and 8 others like this.
  18. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Cool, soltown has a few quest, some by the caravans ( to you right as soon as you enter ) and there is more in the main part of town ( where tavern and blacksmith are )
    There is more in Owls head ( Hidden Vail )

19. ummik

ummik Avatar

20. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

The new player experience is gonna be really really, i mean really bad :p
    Expecially once they notice that they can't have an house without some dumb lottery system or whatever we gonna end up with after "Final Wipe".

Oh wait, you can spend a few hundred (or even thousand) $ for an pixel deed/house if you really want one o_O...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.