By Order of Envy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E n v y, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Seems this is the perfect type of thread to derail. Can't have it both ways!

I hope for the former and cringe for the latter. We will see how it all plays out.

2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I'm not recommending anything except that the encouraged mocking of recipients of ONBE and Royal Warrants be moderated. Otherwise, Envy can be well and go have his pity parade. :)

3. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Read the entire thread; Sounds like a kewl RP initiatives.
    ICA=ICC, OCA=OCC.

Ravicus Sales, Ravicus and Time Lord like this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I'm very happy to have players recognizing players. I think it can be done entirely without mentioning other groups (or mocking and denouncing them). The very title "By Order of Envy" mocks and denounces groups, based on the definition in the OP. It is also clear which specific groups are being targetted in the follow-up posts.

I love the image itself that is used, it's awesome. I think this could be a very entertaining thread, and seeing who is announced would be interesting, and it could be done entirely without pointing fingers at any other groups.

I don't feel personally targeted at all, despite being ineligible for an award - but heck, there's awards I'm not eligible for simply because of when I was born, where I was born and what gender I choose to be, being excluded from something doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I can who is targeted in the post. And it's caused some people to target right back, the OP invites responses.

PS> Here's some jokes that are safe for forums, nobody harmed (except a clown).

What did the Pirate say on his 80th Birthday?
    Aye Matey.

Did you hear about the two antennas that got Married?
    It was a nice ceremony.... but the reception was amazing.

And The Lord said unto John: Come forth, and you will receive Eternal Life"
    But John Came fifth and won a toaster.

For @RichardGarriott:
    Two cannibals were eating a clown – one said to the other,
    'Does he taste funny to you?'

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Montaigne, Womby, rild and 8 others like this.
  5. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

What does the order stand for? What are its goals? What actions does it perform? What are member responsibilities? Is there a reason why someone would want to be in the order other than the material gains listed?

What are the qualifications of being accepted - how is judgment made on the nominated person, other than having no other affiliations? What does a prime example of someone worthy of the order look like?

Where does the "honorable" part of "honorable new order" come into play?

6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Its a secret. You don't qualify to know it I guess ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: This is one of those strange mirror questions if you ask me about such things...

Take the ONBE, "the same exact questions apply"... all of those questions, because it's not truly well known and there seems no set goal, nor binding quality in fellowship among them...o_O

I find that to be a strange things...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

To be honest Envy does a better job reflecting a counter point to the LB Oracle Surveillance Regime in New Brittania :) Somehow forum moderation makes sense for me now... It's all part of roleplaying 1984 in medieval steam punk setting :D

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...to-the-onbe-or-the-royal-warrant.39174/page-3
    and
    I don't think it's mysterious, I do think it's qualitative however.

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Censorship is not now, nor has it ever been, the answer.

Ice Queen, argyle, Time Lord and 8 others like this.
  11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

if you look on the wiki you can see why each person recieved an award.
    And its pretty much that you need to provide a unique and productive service for the community.

12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

And everyone has the right to make fun of it. Offense can only be taken, never given.

Warrants are issued at the pleasure of Richard Garriott de Cayeux, who is the fount of honor... thats no real measure of how "good" the contribution to the community really was.
    That's not equitable.. and it doesn't have to be.
    But it clearly deserves to be pointed out. The means to do so, everyone can chose for himself. I like this new order ^^

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Order of Envy who's leader is Envy? Im sorry, I've never been one to join a group thats named after someone. I couldn't imagine someone wanting to join my new guild "Slaves of Starman".

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

And yet there are forum rules which govern interactions between community members to try and keep things reasonably civil.

I have not called for locking the thread personally, but I can see how an order that specifically requires mocking others can fall under the purview of personal attacks.

If it is explicitly stated that all of this is meant to be RP and in character, then that is another story, but linked with past comments, it would certainly appear this is designed as personal attacks aimed at people in the community. That is not allowed by forum rules.

15. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

The others covered the answers already, but it was unnecessary- What does the ONBE have to do with my post? This thread and my inquiry are regarding the Order of Envy.

16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

If you have already received one award, you are not eligible for a separate award. To me, that seems pretty benign, and not an attack at all. Anyone can perceive what they wish to, I suppose.

Seems like a whole lot of drama over nothing.

17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

How bout Chaos Spoons? :p

Time Lord and Spoon like this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It isn't the exclusive part of the order that crosses that line. It it the specific requirement to mock others. And this thread has past context to it as well.

FWIW, I welcome and would celebrate player orders. I just don't celebrate the degradation of other players.

19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Let me make it clear for everyone. Moving forward, we do NOT condone solely attacking persons or groups and mocking positive contributions to the community. We DO condone and highly support groups positively contributing, whether that be in an 'Order' way or a 'Chaotic' way!

The group leaders are free to create another thread with non-toxic ideals. Any such future attacks that build toxicity in a community will be removed with consideration of a suspension that could turn into a permanent ban if the warnings are ignored.

I trust this is understood by most. If anyone is unclear of the difference between healthy competition and the sole aim at building a group that mocks others, we will be updating the Community Rules & Guidelines that more clearly call out the difference. Please also contact us with any questions you may have.

This thread is being locked. Feel free to send me a PM if anyone has questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.