Lord British's Open Challenge...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Rate them least worst deed to most worst deed...

1. Popeye was the most worst deed

10.3%
  2. Popeye was the least worst deed

25.6%
  3. Olive Oil was the most worst deed

23.1%
  4. Olive Oil was the least worst deed

15.4%
  5. Wimpy was the most worst deed

20.5%
  6. Wimpy was the least worst deed

23.1%
  7. Brutus was the most worst deed

41.0%
  8. Brutus was the least worst deed

2.6%
  9. Chris was the most worst deed

20.5%
  10. Chris was the least worst deed

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Thanks this is a great example.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

I recognize and understand your need to see yourself (and humans in general) as something "special" and "above" the other mammals on this planet.

It remains you are wrong, to wit:

I would purely love to hear you say that you're not aware of women who trade sexual favors for access to anything from money to better life environment, etc., or to say that you really are unaware of this same mating behavior occurring in more species than I can link you to here. Not to mention that the physiological predilection operates in both sexes across the entirety of the animal spectrum (not just mammals). Another item of note is that the only reason we're not prone to pheromone signaling impacts is that a genetic mutation rid us of the primary organ that processes those pheremones - the Vomeronasal organ.

(Oh, and this just for the funny - chickens have a physiological change in both endurance and leg musculature at sexual maturation; current theory is that males develop stronger legs because they need to catch those hens to mate with them.... conversely, females lose endurance and speed at the same time. I think you forget (which is the point) just how much our physiology determines our life. Not really relevant to our discussion, but another interesting example of this pattern you currently deny.)

A non-human animal that ends a monogamous relationship for "reasons" that include infidelity.... or just "being a bad lay" (however that is being defined by the female animals).... how many do you want? Were you even aware that monogamy is the exception, not the rule, in the mammalian kingdom? (And isn't it hilarious that even Wikipedia has an entry for animal monogamy AND human monogamy....?? IT IS NO DIFFERENT.

Oh, and a very interesting book that discusses findings to date on the matter (i.e., empirical parallels between humans and animals in their sexual behaviors).

Sorry, you'll have to go search up the rest on your own. It won't be difficult, however, which, I hope, will more than nicely prove the point.

So, yes... given this is a global game that can potentially span countries, cultures, etc - the idea that the primary determinant of "YOUR" life in this game is how well you live up (or down) to a specifically W.A.S.P. pop-psychology quiz version of who, what, and how you "should be" is a bit disconcerting.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well, that was quite a lengthy dodge. Way to over generalize without actually naming a single example.. never mind one that actually fits the question.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Right, because in under 7 minutes you've actually read them all. (shrug)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't need to read any.. I didn't ask you for links or books. I just said name one that fits the scenario. Which, in theory if you're correct.. you shouldn't have any trouble doing. So basically what you're telling me.. is that you.. and apparently others.. believe certain animals literally prostitute themselves in order to get a ride somewhere.

Steve D. and Time Lord like this.
  6. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Clearly you DO need to read them all. But it's alright... I'm sure you can buy a spoon to feed yourself and I hope you do, because the last spoon feeding I did was of my child and I'm not looking to sign up for the duty. (chuckle)

If that means you get to cuddle your security blanket called "manifest destiny" or whatever, that's perfectly fine by me.

/tips hat and moves along...

Steve D. and Time Lord like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well you're just putting so much effort to not answer the question directly I can only conclude you don't have that answer yourself. There would be no need for links to authors who no doubt share the same mindset. Since I couldn't disagree more with your assessment, why would I agree with someone I never heard of speculating on animal behavior?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Exploring Similar Reoccurring Themes Within Story Ethics~

~The Story of the Ramakien in 5 Minutes~

:oops:~Breaking Bonds and Boundaries in Reoccurring Themes~

Simple Stories of Loving Challenges in Ethics Are Everywhere... :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Phydra and Steve D. like this.
  9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

When my dog can open the bathroom door in the morning so I can take a dump AND pour my breakfast in a bowl then we might be close to equals. She is pretty smart but not going to happen. Let's not even consider an animal capable of building and flying a vehicle into outer space. Those monkeys where just passengers.

Animals are NOT equal to humans. They just taste better.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~Or Are They Really Our Evil Psychic Overlords~o_O?'
    [​IMG]
    Look at all those "High Fives", we may be onto something here :cool:
    ~Time Lord~:p

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The homunculus rocked itself slightly through the night, trying to comfort itself as it was caught between its unquenchable need to fulfill its master’s command and the storm that made its progress toward that objective impossible to fulfill.

-The Sword Of Midras

One clear cognative dissonance is inevitable but some forms of it cannot be easily resolved. A big difference between humans and other animals is that we can over think things, other animals don't seem to have that issue. What this creature above is experiencing is unnatural. The cognitive dissonance it is experiencing. The interesting thing about this character was that it wasn't a thinker it had a program that it was designed to follow (deliver the master's message). It would even die before failing the mission (which is nessisary to convey to us how deep this root command is since we have a deep root instinct for surviving). Yet this character now had a conflict and distress because it must carry out the command but there was no work around. It navigated around mountains and had no frustrations about ahaving to take the altered course showing this was not a fully formed personality tt was more like a computer.

We aren't computers that just crash we continue to move on and can function with faulty logic, but faulty logic taken to extremes can lead to conflicts between two beliefs or a belief vs an undeniable fact creating massive distress forcing us to try to reduce the dissonance. The problems become clerer when we chose belief over facts rejecting the facts... I've seen this and it doesn't end well. Choosing between two virtues is fine if it isn't some sort of belief of an all encompassing interconnected inflexible prime directive that penalizes us for wrong action and every idle word. When two ridgid objects collide something must give and if these objects are believed to be indestructible then our psychology is what gets destroyed.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Space Folding~
    When we write all our individual opinions down and them fold them onto the question Lord British is asking us to give our best individual answer to, then how does all that come out? In looking at it though the Ultima Virtues, I found them different than my own, but I had no intention on changing mine...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Steve D. likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

When i get around to it ill post it here

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Humans are animals.

"Equality" was never part of the assertion I made.

I said we're no better than the animals. Frankly, in many ways, we're worse.

I said we're still just as controlled by our physiology as animals are theirs. I get that's an uncomfortable truth, but it is truth... so deal. :)

Non-human animals live in harmony with their surroundings. Humans are destroying our own habitat (and theirs, since we share it).

How "smart" are we to destroy that which we need to survive as a species? (You see, selective application goes both ways.)

I totally get why so many really, really, really NEED to deny their animal physiology; it fascinates me just how much work some will put into it.

Agree to disagree, it seems. Works for me. /tips hat

Ravicus Sales and Time Lord like this.
  15. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Its why I loved the Native American culture, as for the most part, they where one with nature. Human greed will destroy us and nature both eventually though. Maybe we are the plague of locusts the Bible tells of lol.

KuBaTRiZeS, Phydra and Time Lord like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I Agree, Animal Me~:confused:!'
    I'm very dual natured only because I lead my own way out of the trees and into the city. There's no way I would ever disagree that I was acting like a pure animal while serving in the military ("serving"<---<<< what a nice word that falls short of what reality is) I just wanted to dominate the real life battlefield like it was my back yard when I was a kid, set up all the toy army men and then burn them all up with matches and firecrackers. Whether or not I was from a democracy or communist nation makes no difference, because we all apply heroism in the same exact way, "we call it service and sacrifice". Our King Kong is ideals and our sacrificing is based on the idea that we sacrifice them (whoever they are), more than we sacrifice our own lives.
    Which emocon should I use with this above statement :)o_O:(? You choose... which is exactly like what questions in values we are faced with in Lord British's challenge.

But let me stick with happy smiley face ~Time Lord~:) because he's a much better person today than he was when he was the scourge of the National Training Center of advanced warfare... That ~Time Lord~o_O did a great job and everyone loved him there because he was an A#1 killing machine, which was why he was there. Education is the key to freedom, not bombs and guns... but you could have never convinced NTC~Time Lord~ of that. He would have convinced you that in his environment, that first education should have been how to sacrifice others to the King Kong of ideals. Our animalistic natures are there and only most noticeable when we are placed in an animal's world of survival... oh... I'm sorry... not survival, but "service" :D

This above, to me, explains my answering the question of Wimpy being much higher at fault within my answers, for being "wimpy"... because I still have some of that more pronounced animal behavior education still left in me...o_O

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~The Now~Much Nicer Guy~ !:)!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Phydra and Ravicus Sales like this.
  17. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

(NOTE: This is NOT directed AT YOU or AT ANYONE on this forum. It is strickly a rant that was, quite literally, triggered in my head when I read your post and saw your positive sentiment for Native Americans. Truly, I thank you for that. So... on to the rant.)

Be damned. Yes. Precisely. I'm Cherokee but unable to "prove" it because they burned the records. They being.... United States federal government and pretty much everyone under them, too. All those human animals, "being" superior, "being" virtuous, wiping out the cultures, the religions, the traditions, and in many ways, the futures of so many tribes. It's allllll just a big ol' elephant in the room..... nobody up in this joint willing to admit that if they're within the first generations of this country, they're here today because their ancestors committed genocide. Well, no, that's not fair; some probably do now, but it's kind of too late for more than words without, well, more than words. At the end of the day we're all brothers and sisters, so maybe it's just this country's "Middle East" so to speak... everyone so busy arguing over the direction of the "true blame" finger. Obviously, including me. *sigh* It kind of hurts to not have my legitimate legacy, you know? Especially given all the progress we're aspiring to on unconditional pluralism in the world at this moment.

Oh, virtuous animal, man! All our histories and written in blood and still the ignorant pick their teeth with the bones and nonchalantly claim a set of values that most often only see light of day when someone in a position of judgment is watching.

We are all so pathetically arrogant. Yes, you, "I" am part of the "We". Just because I'm stating the problems doesn't mean I'm without blame of causing or enabling them, capiche? But responsibility begins with ditching self-deception, so... meditate on that if you're up for a challenge.

I've got a little more than "interest" in our planet and ALL the animals on it - our survival is intrinsically bound.

But those with whom I disagree are right about human animal superiority in one thing: Their arrogant, utterly self-referential ego. Animals don't have that because they are physiologically entangled with this planet; as are we all. AS ARE WE ALL, no matter how much we want to be special little star dust snowflakes, hmm?

Frankly, you should count your damn blessings you just happen to be right - that most animals have not evolved our brain's capabilities - otherwise, I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of us wouldn't be having this little post exchange over whether or not we're "superior" to them.

#justsaying

Ravicus Sales and Time Lord like this.
  18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I had planned on a verbose write up regarding the human animal but my smart dog decided to eat grass, puke it up, then proceeded to eat the puke.

Having done similar during college I took mercy on my biological equal and stopped her from the vicious cycle of puke.

The great evil in the world is modern medical science. It enables us to live way too long and overpopulate the world. The world was more balanced when everyone died off by age 30.

Time Lord and Ravicus like this.
  19. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

"Newp." - Lana Kane, Archer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan's_Run

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Running is the leading cause of diabetes, cancer and heart attacks~o_O
    [​IMG]
    ~TL~:cool: I know because I've been on the run a while :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Solaris Aeternum likes this.