December Launch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heradite, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I can just see it now. Portalarium is happy to finally get the game out of Early Access in Steam. It launches the game, sells it to interested members of the public who learn about the game for the first time thanks to some kind of marketing campaign...

and then they encounter people who are practically GMs after six months of play.

:eek:

Woo Final Launch: giving us early backers a huge early start over the plebians who join during official launch!

Time Lord, Cordelayne and Beaumaris like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Probably better for Pol since many of the people already playing have a lot of money invested into the game was well as have a very robust network of trainers for new people. My first week, Luca helped me out (he had GM swords and heals) and ran me and several people through out first dungeon that we couldn't have done with out him.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Point being?
    It's not like they couldn't join now.
    It's not like there are Lot of games out there that do the same.

4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Well, actually the game will be already launched, and anyone can buy it and enter. But this game wish two launches. Because of... Vortex Llama.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Its the age old saying: Its about the journey, not the destination.

My advice to friends is to play for our own experience, for our own fun, for what we find and have....not what someone else has done, which by and large in the big scheme of things has nothing to do with us and is mostly irrelevant.

In situations where 'being equal to everyone else on day one' is relevant, there are other types of games for that (e.g., first person shooters with no character development effort required).

Gotta pick the right game for the right experience.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Actually there are GM's in the first month. A few special people GM skills in the first week.

The tend seems to be that a large portion of players GM skills after two or three months. So yeah, I would hope that I would GM some skills within 6 months after totally grinding away.

I don't really see why this would be an issue for anyone though.

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, and all those people with GMs can help the newcomers by partying with them so they get apprentice status.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

May not be as big of a deal as you think after 2 months of this cycle there are people with 40+ gms

So easy to gm in this game.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

After awhile the battlegrounds in WoW really put me to sleep but I wouldn't mind seeing some type of instanced in-game activities that use adventurer level bracketing to keep players of similar level grouped together, for the purposes of fun.

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  10. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Sorry but you are way off.. If all remains more or less the same then there will be GM's in the first week or 2 of playing.

Within one month there will be more than 1/2 of players will have GMS and some with multiple Gms..

Ps: when I say 1/2 of players I mean 1/2 of active players not the whole 170K.. :)
    so probably around 50 in the first 2 weeks will have a GM..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm just gonna enjoy getting my own GM's and could care less what others do...

If there are exploits that allow quick xp gain, then they need to find and fix them.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, and assume that Port is on the job and will fix issues like 40 gm's in a month or two.

If not, they THEY will be the big losers.....

Just sayin.....

Lord-Galiwyn, Budner and Time Lord like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:):):)~Don't Worry, Be Happy~:):):)
    [​IMG]

I talk allot about how my character will probably have many advantages from my being able to play allot more than any average player. But in the end, I'm just a happy hack that will be even more happy when I can just relax, play with myself in a world where everyone else is playing with themselves and we can all play with ourselves together in a big happy circle of friends enjoying the game :):):)...

Sure, I'll be ahead of some people, but there's many more here that will be gaming far beyond my own capabilities, "because I don't give a BLANK" :D Immersion is a very important thing to me when I'm playing with myself and to have whoever will be happening past the ~Time Lord~ and maybe don't like the way I'm playing, I just hope that they're happy playing with themselves too :)!'

Come December, there will be allot of players all showing up in our world and I'm hoping that they just come and join us in one big circle jerk of fun :D

So ahead of me or behind me, I'm just hoping we all accept reach arounds :eek: because that's how much fun we'll all be having together :):):)

Because I like really close friends ;)!'
    ~Time Lord~:D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    kbruder and Budner like this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I dont think it is myself. I started the first of January and have hit this game pretty hard for someone who works. After wipes, Ive taken advantage of all the x4 and x2 exp. I've grinded a lot of pass's and killed a million Cultist in the Grunvald area. Im only lvl 80 with 5 GM's right now and I would probably be one or two right now post wipe.

Also consider that I dont think they have turned on true skill degradation yet.

those guys with 40+ GM's have been building those chars for years off x4 exp and were lvl 100 long ago.

Things will be a lot slower after next wipe and no bonus exp. Im actually worried that it will be to slow for someone like me.

Manerd, kbruder and Time Lord like this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I liked the uo system some skills took..
    Heck a year to gm, but they were very good 80+ im thinking of stuff like cartography, gm resist, taming and others. Things like primary abilities were much faster to gm. 2 months to 5x gm means easy to gm in my book. I expect you have a point about the larger xp pools but still to fast imop.

Bow Vale and Time Lord like this.
  15. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

just wondering, do you mean "Grandmaster" or "Gamemaster" by GM? by the context I assume you meant that they will have god like powers that paid Portalarium employees would have.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Grandmaster.

I think it's a mistake to have two launches.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It is unavoidable at this point. Final wipe is coming next month and the game isn't feature complete yet.

And people join online games all the time past launch day with the assumption that others had a head start on them. I don't think it will be a huge issue.

Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  18. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

The difference is they know they are joining past launch day. If they are under the assumption that everybody is starting on equal ground, they might feel tricked. They might not. They might see people with great armor and skills and think it's super easy to advance your character and get gold which might drive some players away.

I want this game to succeed. I've spent a lot of money in this game and I think it's a lot of fun. My heart loves it but my mind is telling me the game is going to struggle to launch....the second time.

The game has already driven so many people away with its PvP, combat system, and now Coin of the Obsidians. There is a complicated two launches. Single-player Offline is likely going to get killed.

I know we all want this game to be a success. I'm just looking at it and as fun as the game is, I don't see an Episode 2 happening. :(

I trust Portalarium as game devs. I'm wishing they would pair up with a publisher like Paradox at this point.

Lord-Galiwyn and Time Lord like this.
  19. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

December, way to soon for a release, if they do launch in december, they're going to be flame so hard...

Better wait and release in a good state.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Keep the Faith, Because this isn't the Portalarium Team's First Pony Ride~;)
    [​IMG]

I'm sort of missing the psychic astrologer vibe here... because this assumption is based on a soft as silt bottom that appears to be there, yet having no knowledge of what hasn't yet been seen, a shallow knowledge of astrology and a far too assumptive predictive psychic ability.

o_O~Here's David Bowie Playing With His Balls~:)
    [​IMG]
    ~Don't try this at home, "he's was a professional"~:D

My being an astrologer, I'd say the chances of success were very good, yet not being a psychic I'd still say that there's much that's complete that we haven't seen and won't see until launch time for obvious marketing reasons. But that's just an assumption on my part knowing that we as "test players" don't have any knowledge past what little drops Portalarium is willing to tell us about, because there's certain subjects about the game that they won't even comment on. They know we'll be having fun with what's been reserved and hidden, so there's no need to release such information.

This is a representation of our current Test Player Pony Ride...:cool:
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.