1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PNG SIG images now allowed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I would assume Port wants the stuff we put into the field to be max of 120 px high. so since Berek's is that high, he can't have any text of any kind in there so that one image is his limit. It would mean however that some now have to change their images because they have text under them too. Alot have them at the old high standard too so there will be quite a few in violation atm. There are also those who use the "spoiler" part to hide parts of their signature, but if you unfold those areas they extremely violate the size restrictions. So does this apply pre or post unfolding of those fields? There really is one way to easily fix this but I dont see it happening.

2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

[​IMG]

Sorry about that, but I could not help but think about it :D @Berek

Leostorm and Wintermute of CoF like this.
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I would assume that too, but since we're in a thread where we're defining the rules I'd like the rules to be clear so that we don't have to assume.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  4. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

true dat, even with almost 20 years of customer service with computer and tech stuff, I still dont like assuming cause I can't trust customers or people to put what they want to get across into words always. It is like when client tries to explain a graphical look and uses such phrases as "make it pop", etc.

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Text limitations are on the image itself :). Everything is the image in this case. Either you have a full on banner image, or text, not really both per se.

6. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

banning the use of the "spoiler" function in the signature then because it would break that size difference unless it was only a few lines of text in the spoiler section in the signature? Cause image in it alone would have to be very small for the size not not be broken, and then at that point, why bother with the image. We have an example already in the thread. Alot of specifics that would be good to cover, can't trust ppl to use common sense.

7. Berek

We could add "in addition to the image height of 120, you get two lines of text below it"... something like that work? I'm certainly open to ideas here, the SIG thing isn't super concrete atm :).

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I think you need to be clear on the overall height allowance. How many lines of text is the image worth? If I create a signature image that's 60px high, how many lines of text can I have then? If I have no image how many lines of text are allowed?

After all this I might have to create a signature image...

9. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

TIL that my signature is wildly out of bounds! Time to make a new one, I suppose!
    Oh, Avatastico, how you have failed me!

10. Berek

Image is 120pixels high, that isn't changing. If you have no image, than the other rules mentioned above apply about text lines, font sizes, etc.

11. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

This is incorrect, here is the rule you posted:

The image can be 60px high, it can be 30px high, it can be 113px high and it is still valid according to the guideline. If the image has to be 120px high then you need to update the guideline.

It seems to me like you have something fixed in your mind about what constitutes a signature and in the context of that everything you're saying makes perfect sense and is not open to interpretation. The fact that people (admittedly, mostly me) keep asking you to clarify indicates that what you've failed to do is communicate to us the thing that, in your mind, constitutes a signature.

I don't even have a signature and the burden of time spent arguing over whether or not a particular signature meets the requirements is on you and the other moderators, seems that you're happy with the guidelines as they stand, so it's probably for the best if I stop trying to help at this point.

12. Berek

The guidelines already state 120px. I think you're taking this a touch too literally. We're talking about the image here, which is the signature. If we want to add more, such as separate text below the image, then we can talk about that. But we don't talk about pixels then.

13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I think if you allow text in addition to the 120px image limit, people will use GIANT size 7 text at the bottom of their sig block. It might be easiest to remove signature blocks entirely if people are going to nitpick the rules. :(

Sir Frank and Golem Dragon like this.
  14. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

that was actually my first thought was to keep things simple, not have it... there no problems anymore... i don't see it happening... the best answer is sometimes the simplest...

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Eh, I updated mine and just got rid of the text below. Not entirely happy with how blurry the edges of my name are, but that's resizing for ya...

Berek likes this.
  16. Berek

Looks great! :)

17. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I'll have to wait until this weekend to play with my sig. I presume it's too large and I'll see if I can just shrink it.

Edit: Ha - I did it while I was waiting for the latest QA update.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  18. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Berek - Seems like people are just confused about whether they can add their text below their max dimension image. We have for years, so the implication that it needs to be an image OR text sig is causing confusion. Something concrete like "Your choice of either: 1) An image (max dimensions ____ ) plus optional 2 lines of text above or below (max font size ___ ), or 2) Up to 4 lines of text (max font size ___ ) and no image" would probably clear it up.

licemeat and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  19. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

So please tell me how it's an easy down convert? I made mine to the previous specs. Took quite some time to get everything just right in the 750 x 150 space.

Laz

20. Berek

600 x 120 is the same ratio as 700 x 150, so you just downsize and you're done, unless of course some of the smaller elements are now too small.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.