1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PNG SIG images now allowed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Here you go Laz:
    [​IMG]

2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Thanks everyone :)

I appreciate the speedy helping hands and reply.

But the sig just don't POP the way it was meant to at this size so I'll be working on a new one now I guess.

Laz

Duke Avery likes this.
  3. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

That is a ridiculously low number of words and lines. However will people survive with only 20 words in their

Ooops....ran out of words to put the 'text signature?' in there. Text takes astronomically less bandwidth than images. The purpose of limiting size and the format type of images in signatures is to make the forums load faster, each image takes a ton more bandwidth than text entries. As I understand it, JPG are lossy meaning they remove duplication by formatting to greatly reduce the size of the files. PNG are typically lossless meaning every pixel takes up the same amount of space as every other pixel. People with limited speed options will experience slower opening of these wonderful webpages.

Updated due to this post:

I'd remove the limit on # of words, as long as it fits the "image" pixel count limits - anything # of words in an image signature should go.

[ Apology interlude... ]
    In other news, I cannot express how truly sorry I am reading the rules and reporting FireLotus' image for exceeding the 750x150 limits a few days back, starting this ball rolling. [ End Apology interlude... ]

Last time you'll see me apologize for questioning authority, fight the power, don't let the man hold you back, viva la resistance!

V/R Brickbat

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Berek, you're arguing with Geeks... they're paid to take things literally. It's a survival trait.

Ronan and Golem Dragon like this.
  5. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Amen!

6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Lol, it's ok, you had every right to report. We are to be held to these same guidelines. Your current SIG is an excellent example of far too many words and lines :). The limit stays until someone can give me a specific SIG that clearly can make use of more in a legitimate and worthwhile way. Sorry!

7. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

You said 20 words limit applies to words in the image, I have no image, just text therefore I would not be governed by that proposed word limit, unless I am reading this thread all wrong.

I will comply with whatever the rule ends up being once posted, creative people aren't limited by arbitrary boundaries and I have always walked right on the edge of the box because it's way more fun.

Full disclosure, my ultra snarky personality - which really do I try to suppress on these forums, came out when I was considering finally putting up an image in my signature and went to read the rules, read the # x # rule and and JPG type specification rule and said, well I certainly understand that, but how big is that...so Ms FireLotus had posted that rule, so I right clicked on her signature picture on the rules post and said wait 500x155 isn't within 750x150. Story, story, story...my snarky self is best kept entertained by other activities and not railing against the powers that be.

V/R Brickbat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.