I am coming home!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GBJackson, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

My life as an MMO player began with Ultima Online. And after all these years, finally a true spiritual successor to that game is on the way. Finally, and MMO is coming that will be what I have come to believe an MMO SHOULD be.

To Richard Garriott and all the rest who are working on bringing this game to life: Thank you for having the balls to return to the roots of immersive online gaming.

I am coming home!

Gemini, NirAntae, monxter and 9 others like this.
  2. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Welcome home son!
    But, you know how the saying goes, "You can never go home again".

Freeman likes this.
  3. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Great post indeed, I never played Ultima but I do love the direction that Richard is aiming for in SOTA its very different to the style of MMO's I know and looking forward to this so much.
    Bring on the Alpha.

Grayhawk and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Great way to introduce yourself! Welcome

5. Knight Johann

Knight Johann Avatar

I have never played Ultima to, but i´m realy glad to have the chance to know his sucessor in the next future.

Vyrinor likes this.
  6. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

If Ultima was a home, then hopefully, Shroud will be a mansion.

NirAntae likes this.
  7. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I only came back to visit, I'm not permanantly moving back home to live in mom's basement.

licemeat likes this.
  8. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Sure BillRoy, that's what they all say. ;)

BillRoy likes this.
  9. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

Welcome aboard i still remember playing ultima I when I was a kid.

10. Balnir Morlemaine

Balnir Morlemaine Avatar

I myself got my start with Ultima IV, back in The Day™, and have played all of them except I and Akalabeth now. I played a few years on UO, as well, on the Great Lakes server. I find myself hoping that SotA is what I have always hoped for: an updated UO with even more options and features!

NirAntae likes this.
  11. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

On a qualitative level, if this game is even HALF of what UO was, then it's still way more than what the curren industry standard of MMOs offers. I quit giving EA my money when they screwed up and cancelled UO2 in favor of The Sims Online...

The only thing that would really be icing on the proberbial cake will be if Raph Koster, aka DesignerDragon also joined the team. Then the glory days of MMOs will truly have come again...

I do hope that bows actually require crafted arrows. If they do, then nothing would please me more than to spend time crafting arrows and leaving them for my guildmates to use. You can NEVER have too many arrows. Yes, it's a meneal task, but it is also meaningful, and extends the enjoyment of the game for others. I miss MMOs that let players feel like they've accomplished something, even if they only logged in for about 30 minutes.

And THANK GOD that there are no levels. The fewer numbers I have to look at and worry about, the better!

NirAntae and BillRoy like this.
  12. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

You can never have too many arrows? My pincushioned gambesson and I would like to have a word with you....

NirAntae and BillRoy like this.
  13. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

I'll gladly buy those arrows off you :)

NirAntae likes this.
  14. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I think you mean /out/ of me.

NirAntae likes this.
  15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Isn't it a wonderful feeling? >^.^< I actually -squealed- when I finally checked out the link Lara posted on our FB group lol...

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If only the FB group I'm in had the same enthusiam. I know I've managed to get some folks to check out a viedo or two but they're playing it pretty cool. People from the old NWN server always bemoaning the lack of a good place to RP. I keep telling them this is it and continue to post some of the more interesting updates but so far no one has said they'd even check it out. :( Well there's still a year to convince I guess.. but it'd be nice if at least one of them pledged and got into the alpha.

17. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

Right... Someone can pull the arrows out of you. You can pay them for the service. I can pay you for the arrows with a markup so that you make money. Then I can resell them at a markup.

Just keep getting that gambesson pincushioned and me, you and the guy who you get to pull the arrows out can become business partners. :D

18. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

I think the issue is that after so many MMOs whose developers either have forgotten what MMOs should be about, or else never really had a clue, most old-schoolers have lost faith in MMOs completely, and are too drained to even hope that there will be a difference. I must admit that I was very close to giving up on the genre... Until I learned of THIS jewel, and discovered that Lord British himself is about to retake the throne... Now I have hope again. I don't care if it has millions of subscribers or a few hundred thousand. As long as it offers the kind of gameplay that UO offered at the very least, then I will be content.

NirAntae likes this.
  19. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Heck, if it just has a few hundred actual good, active RPers at any given time I will be ready to cry with relief.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Keeping in mind this isn't technically an MMO.. it's a new paradigm but will probably feel like an MMO for those playing default settings.

Hearing that. Watching the RP community form is going to be interesting. You really only need a handful of good RPers around you but in SotA.. the culmination of what equates to many 'shards' worth of players will all be in the same world. Meaning all those RPers spread out over a huge map.

NirAntae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.