Which character archetype will you focus on?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Grogan, Aug 25, 2013.

?

Which archetype will you likely focus on in SotA?

1. Fighter

34.6%
  2. Cleric

20.5%
  3. Thief

20.5%
  4. Mage

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I tend to prefer to find ways that avoid combat throughout all gameplay. If I can talk or trick my way out of a fight, that is the type of gameplay I would prefer. My general character would be one who prefers the sharpness of wit over sword, romance over war, cleverness over brute force. When presented the basic archetypes, bard has always been the closest to link well to my playstyle, but the character is never fleshed out to truly differentiate the bard from a thief-type. It's well and good to be able to roleplay your character, but I just hope gameplay allows for a character to be strong in getting through most situations without needing to attack others. I don't know if this is something SotA will accomplish, but I do believe it is an important step towards an Ultimate RPG.

2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

3. Blackbart

Blackbart Avatar

mage archer hunter warrior elf human orc maby dragon. who knows game isnt out yet?

BillRoy and Jambot like this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'd like to be a spider, a big one like on LoTR in PvP. I agree, we shouldn't be limited to being boring humans. We're humans every day and if it was so great we wouldn't seek escape by playing video games.:)

Knoxinn and Sentinel like this.
  5. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

We get da boyz and start a waagghh!??!?!?!?

But nay, I've always enjoyed the ranger role or even paladin on these types of games. I try to keep my character peaceful, but I've run a few anti-pk guilds, usually rp and honor based. Protect the weak, defend the defenseless and that sorta of thing. Always more enjoyable to fight the heretics of chaos and defend the lands. Never know when the day comes all hell is broke loose and always makes it interesting. But anyways, Fighter role was my vote choice.

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Skizz

Skizz Avatar

It's a hard decision choose only one. I prefer Cleric but like a Druid, in harmony with nature, animals etc. Exploring forests and caves searching new creatures and herbs... hugging trees haha

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Sentinel

Sentinel Avatar

Can I be a Bobbit? j/k :) (for those too young to remember, a Bobbit was a race you could choose in Ultimas I, II, and III)

I chose Cleric as I remember liking the Cleric from the earliest Ultima days.
    If I have the option, though, I will play anything with a bow or crossbow - I just love ranged classes.

I'm just ecstatic RG is back in the driver's seat of an Ultima-esque game of any kind.
    LONG LIVE LORD BRITISH!

BillRoy likes this.
  8. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

My first impulse is mage-explorer with some light sword skill. Otherwise I'de roll pure warrior using bow, pike, and sword. That said I have this strange urge to stand in front of the lich king with a tesla rifle and ask the punk if he feels lucky...

9. Montesquieu Paine

Montesquieu Paine Avatar

Since the choices are those of the Greyhawk-modified D&D (as opposed to the triune selection of the original D&D), I'll use those as my guideline.

Cleric. A 'group-focused' instead of 'solo-star' playstyle, doing pinch-hit utility. Or pinch-battered utility, when standing in for the tank fighters on a very temporary basis, at least a hoped for temporary -- what do you mean, you're running away?

Regardless, a role calling for more thought, wisdom, and seeing the whole problem instead of focus on the needle-sharp 'personal expertise' which defined my interactions with the world.

It took years, decades, of play to realize that this was my favorite approach after trying fighter, mage, thief, ranger, paladin, demon-summoner, rogue, monk, assassin, and a few more oddball classes as well. Including chevalier, where I had my favorite line of all times: "You [the rest of the party] go investigate the town; I'll go distract the castle."

Sentinel and Père Fouettard like this.
  10. KrojinKin

KrojinKin Avatar

None because this game will not be the same *as other games*, I'll be a crafter and or fisher some type of RP involved.

*Edited for content* ~ FireLotus

11. ArcanumVeritas

ArcanumVeritas Avatar

Ranger/Mage/Crafter/Explorer/Fisherman/Hunter

Outdoorsy type ... good with a bow and spellbook ... collects herbs n stuff then brews them up before going out fishing ...

All the things I'm not in real life :) - better with a sword IRL ...

12. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

That's the whole thing though. If the game mechanic operates like UO, you really don't have a class. If you play with a sword a lot, you will become a swordsman. That doesn't necessarily make you a warrior because you could be competent at offensive magic and fishing too. So what does that make you, a Battle Angler?

13. vjek

vjek Avatar

Gosh, I hope so! ;)
    [​IMG]

Knoxinn and rild like this.
  14. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Since Shroud of the Avatar will using be a "classless" system, I opened up the poll to allow for multiple selections. I personally will likely end up some sort of cleric/mage hybrid. That way I can mend the drunkards... I mean patrons up when they stumble into Fire Lotus Tavern after a long day adventuring. :D

And if they get too roudy, I can just hurl a fireball or something at them...

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

FireLotus: That makes perfect sense to me :p

16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

That sounds like a new crafting recipe. Fire + Alcohol. Not sure I want to be too close when it gets discovered.

17. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Hmmm...hurling a fireball in a wooden tavern filled with flamable liquid. Um...might want to consider an alternate magic tree for "in-tavern" use. :D

18. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Awww.. you're no fun AT ALL!
    Remind me to tell you guys about the time I killed my entire party in a 2nd Edition D&D campaign because my mage panicked and hurled a fireball at a dragon we ran into while we were exploring some caverns.

rild, AuroraWR and nightshadow like this.
  19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

OK, if we allow for multiple selections, I definitely opt for a fighter/cleric/mage hybrid. Primarily fighter (swords and unarmed combat) and cleric (needs lots of healing !) with a few of the mage's area effect direct damage spells to deal with ranged and multiple enemies :)

20. Balnir Morlemaine

Balnir Morlemaine Avatar

Mage/Tinker type for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.