Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Salvaging item gives scrap plus original item

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Widsith [MGT], Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

06/30/2016 12:22
    Title: Salvaging item gives scrap plus original item
    Reproduction Rate: Random, I'm guessing it's a bug in new feature that should return components of item, not the whole item
    Blocker?No
    Details: Salvaging item gives scrap plus original item. See spoiler image.
    Steps to Reproduce:Keep trying...

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3427U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4) System RAM: 4096
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine GPU RAM: 1024
    SotA.EarlyAccess.OSX.64.432.Date.06.29.16
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01_template
    Loc: (201.5, 89.0, -51.3)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Thud

Thud Developer Emeritus

Thank you for reporting this!
    These look like weapons looted from NPCs. Do you remember where you got them or what dropped them?

3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Thud Correct. They were looted from 'Thugs' in the Serpent's Spine Foothills scene - along the path to the right as you enter the scene. Innocent mobs whacked specifically for trying out the new salvage feature :D

I also got and salvaged some halberds from there, but none of them apparently hit on the 'return components' (or whatever) feature - just returned metal scrap - and no wood scrap for that matter.

4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Thud Here's another example. This time I got a component part (ingot) and also got the original item back. It was looted from a skellie in Serpent's Spine Mines.
    Note this is on smithing table, not carpentry as before, so the problem appears to be general.

[​IMG]

5. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

Thank you all for sharing this with us :). I wanted to ask all of you if you can still see this issue happening? I have not been able to reproduce this on my end (which usually means there is some other secret to making it happen). Any ideas?

6. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@GingerLoaf I have not seen it after this morning's patch, but then I didn't get any salvage results that were 'exceptional' in returning something other than scrap. Probably won't get to it today, but tomorrow I'll bash a bunch of innocent mobs, take their stuff, and try again. After that I'm out of game for a week for travel IRL.

7. nimueCW

nimueCW Bug Hunter

I can confirm that this is still happening. I had it happen this morning on a looted longsword from the Crag Foothills

8. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Yes, this is still happening.
    If I fill the blacksmith table with 15 Longswords from Graymark Forest, after salvaging them, in most cases there are 1 or 2 Longswords on the table, which got created as salvage.

9. GingerLoaf

Did you, by chance, have a Rusty Two-Handed Sword on the table along with the item that was salvaged, or did you only place a single item on the table to get this result?

10. GingerLoaf

Did you get all these swords from enemy loot, or did you also get some of these from world item drops (taking a sword from a wall or something)?

11. GingerLoaf

This issue has become somewhat difficult for me to identify. I will need help identifying steps to reproduce this issue! I am still unable to reproduce this... no matter where I go or what I do I can't seem to reproduce what is being mentioned.

Just so everyone knows:
    1) I have added logging to our server to notify me if we ever return an equipable item from a salvage... this has never logged an entry stating that we have returned an equipable item from a salvage.
    2) I have parsed through some item logs on our server and looked at every salvage operation and, once again, the only returned items are non-equipable items such as scraps or components. I found no entries suggesting that a sword was added as a result.
    3) I have tested this in several scenes now (including graymark forest, crag foothills, the spine mines, ect....) and looted a fair share of swords that all seem to salvage correctly.

I am just sharing what I know so far about the issue... the odds are in favor of the idea that maybe some code on the client is getting out of sync and showing that the sword exists, but if it is never added on our server it should go away when a new scene is loaded... so if you ever see this happen, please screenshot it and take note of the items and where they came from (a tooltip of the item would help a lot), then try to load into a new scene and verify that the item you tried to salvage is gone.

This issue is tricky and is difficult to identify so any help goes a long way! I really appreciate the help that everyone in this thread has given to us. If anyone can identify solid reproduction steps please let me know immediately!
    -Zack

Lord Beaumaris likes this.
  12. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

[​IMG]

Alright, finally found time to play sota again. I went back to Greymark forest and loaded up on Longswords and Shortswords (only enemy drops).
    I started salvaging Longswords one by one. The Bug happened on the 4. Longsword. In the picture I have already removed the 10 Metal Scrap I got for salvaging the sword.
    But from the chat log it's pretty obvious what happened: No new sword got generated (which is why your logging did not trigger). Instead, the sword simply did not get destroyed.
    I took note of the durabilitiy - it was the same before and after salvaging, so I am pretty sure that it is indeed the same object.
    I then left Owls Head and fought a monster with the sword in another scene - worked, so it's a real object.
    By the way: I never got a component from a Long- or Shortsword: Its either metal scraps, or metal scraps in addition to the original item.
    I did this salvage about 30 Minutes ago, but forgot to take a timestamp, sorry...

Interestingly, there is no "Successfully salvaged an item (..." line in the log for the time the sword survived the salvaging. Maybe this is "Meticulous Salvaging"? ;-)

@GingerLoaf

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Lord Beaumaris likes this.
  13. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're having difficulty reproducing this issue internally. Between either batched or manual salvaging attempts, through hundreds of items, we are not visibly seeing salvage material + the original weapon being returned. If this issue is still being observed, more detail about getting a solid repro case for this would help us immensely.

14. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood (Back in game after a road trip.) I've now run 50-75 weapons or shields thru salvage on smithy or carpentry table, depending. Only observed one return of non-scrap item, and it was an iron ingot, not original weapon. The items were NPC drops from the same scenes that yielded problematic salvages earlier.

However... I am getting ONLY metal scrap from shields, axes, halberds, hammers, etc., across a dozen+ of each. No sign of leather or wood scrap, so might be worth checking that. The carpentry table also seems to be more generous in the amount of scrap returned, even though I am higher level on smith salvaging vs. carpentry salvage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.