Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

I AM THE FUTURE! Mauaha *hic*

It's out of control, just like me! CHEESE for you all! Haha. Join me at my tea party, twitch and youtuber users alike.

@Berek I understand that Twitch is the direction you'll be heading in but right now isn't a good time. Don't shut the door on those who can't use it in it's current state. It does seem like you're considering it and I appreciate that.

I'm glad my voice was heard with the help of you all and really appreciate all of your comments. We will always have similarities and differences. I have nothing more really to say and I really need to tame some pigs in Owl's Head.

Best of health to you all. Much love <3 Doctor.

FrostII, Sophi, Acred and 3 others like this.
  2. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

FrostII, Sophi and Time Lord like this.
  3. Womby

Womby Avatar

OK, I've accepted that I won't be able to watch anything on Twitch going forward until Twitch supports HTML5 (and possibly ever, if they don't provide the ability on a free Twitch account to reduce resolution). I can live with that. I can live with missing out on the live streams.
    However, can we at least have them archived to YouTube? Please?

Ronan, Sophi, Alley Oop and 3 others like this.
  4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

There's one big problem with both YouTube and Twitch that we have right now for streaming... neither supports a conference call style setup like we have with Google Hangouts. That's a real problem for us in moving to any other platform (for the postmortems and telethons anyway).

Absolutely, they will be on YouTube post-telethon regardless!

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Portalaium doesn't need to reach people - they need to reach gamers. Twitch is for gamers, and that's the skinny of it.

Skizz and Time Lord like this.
  6. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

a verified youtube channel can stream video from multiple professional and business video teleconferencing software options that are available, the problem is most of those software options have a cost to them... The setup is actually a short 2 or 3 step process only too for setting it up. however the cost for the better ones is why so many stick to only google hangouts because it is free.

Twitch isn't just for gamers anymore. Twitch Creative streamers can share anything from crafting, creating art, cooking shows, costume design, music making or other artistic passions. Some however still get temp bans for none gameplay stuff, but they have been working to improve that to not happen so often.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I honestly think I will never get a legit answer to my request for real proof or answers of where they are better. I will just consider this thread a lost cause and it should just be ended.

Doctor and Time Lord like this.
  8. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

99.9% of the time for these telethons I have to watch Telethons from work on my phone or tablet... which means I have to use my data plan. Twitch doesn't allow me to down-scale the stream like youtube does. I already have a 18GB plan which is ludicrously expensive and since Twitch forces me to use the highest quality (or whatever the streamer provides) it eats through my bandwidth. :mad: Anyone know if the HTML5 version will allow down-scaling?

FrostII, Sophi, Lord Baldrith and 6 others like this.
  9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

The Twitch HTML5 one will have the same resolution options when they roll it out to everyone. Youtube is treated differently by some cell phone companies as well when it comes to data - http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/t-mobile-youtube-videos-data-usage-caps-binge-on-1201732590/ for an example. Youtube has more options for scaling and will always be the better option for mobile, because they make that a priority.

FrostII, Sophi, Acred and 2 others like this.
  10. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Just going to leave this here to paraphrase a famous Alaskan:

"The Internet is not a big twitch, it's a series of (you)tubes." -- Teddy Stevens

Or something like that... Pour me another, Doctor :)

FrostII, Sophi, Acred and 4 others like this.
  11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I like that... gold star for you... <3

FrostII, Sophi, Womby and 3 others like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I Dislike to Exclude Anything :)
    [​IMG]

This is one of those interesting points Berek which needs to be fully understood. I personally rely on the Technolians (such as yourself) to more fully inform me so I decide to jump on any bandwagon. I get most of my own information on such things from reading our forums where I can take in all views or explanations, which helps me become more informed.

So, let me tell you a bit of my own investigation on a related subject...
    Within the past 2 weeks I have been investigating how to establish a SOTA foothold here in Thailand's gaming markets, through identifying who the active PC gamers are here. I started by throwing a $300.00+ beer bash for the local foreign English teachers which gave me connections to a few Thai's that could aide in translating our vast game instructions into Thai language. These wouldn't be avid PC game players, so I resorted to YouTube to see what games were popular and similar to our SOTA. I attended a few YouTube live steams where I was greeted with some enthusiasm, being the only foreigner attending. Yet those connections remain in development, the Thai's thirst for INDY Games is quite robust.

Thailand as in most countries has a more mobile gaming market than it has in their PC gaming market...
    Tech advances here are rabid in their spread, yet when viewing content for a prospective involvement, they tend to stick with what they have learned which is already available, meaning that if additional education is needed, then they will not likely embrace it in mass.

I'll cut off this post here because it widens into a far differing subject...
    But what I would say, is that when both are easily done, then keep what you have and add to it without subtracting. But I do believe in you, that we need to keep moving into more information streams while keeping an eye to our future. The future of Asian SOTA is my concern, because all and every good campaign of marketing and wars have always begun through Thailand's neutral distribution points because it's the diplomatic pinion of the deeper Asia beyond Japan and Korea.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

13. smack

smack Avatar

If you switch to Twitch, I definitely will not be able to watch any more due to firewall issues at work. VPNs are blocked, and I get zero to 1 bar 4G connection on cellular...yes, my company sits in a crappy dead zone.

Twitch can certainly be the choice moving forward, but I'm dumbfounded by the unilateral decision to do so for the R32 telethons. Like, how about starting on any other Hangout after that? Or at least multi-casting it, such as via restream.io, xsplit, OBS, etc. It would remove the anxiety around such an important event for the community.

Other than that, I have no problem with Twitch (but hope they rollout HTML5 quicker...Flash needs to die die die).

14. Net

Net Avatar

I hate Flash, I hate how I have to upgrade it regularly and each time very carefully uncheck things I do not want to install. I have to restart my browser each time as well, which is annoying. But aside from Flash being PITA to keep updated and being big security hole, the Twitch has greater disadvantage for me, it has terrible speeds for me, I am not sure why, most twitch streams do not allow me to choose lower resolution but even that does not always fix the lag issues.
    I do not like YouTube ever since Google took over, but Twitch is still ten times worse and more often than not, I cannot simply watch videos over it. And I live in Europe, though it hardly matters when it comes to strange speeds on internet.

Honestly, most streams were late for me, so I will just ignore them now, it is not a big deal since they were not that informative lately anyway.

Sorry for bit off-topic, but I am not fond of the whole Discord thingy. I suppsoe it is very cool and trendy thing right now, but I can use irc (along with other platforms) in Pidgin. Also irc can run anyone and everyone, there is no need to share every bit of data with third party, and I have not seen any good encryption for it. The Twitch is another big change in a short period of time. I am not sure why we have to have these changes, I suppose the goal is to get new people in? It might work, but it might keep the old people out:/ I just hope the forums will not move to some third party site as well.

@Balandar 18GB plan? Lucky you, I am happy for 500MB one:/ Well, I use Symbian phone so no youtube for me anyway.

DuKe NuKeM, 4EverLost, Archer and 5 others like this.
  15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The telethon discussion did come up during the Hospitaller meeting (as they have an hour during the end of the world party @ 3 PM CDT in game) and a brief side bar came up about multi-streaming. In essence, this plan may already be underway.

DuKe NuKeM, Sophi, Net and 1 other person like this.
  16. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

The multicast is the bare minimum we should expect and demand from any dev team. All I want is at least that confirmed. In fact it is super easy to do to Twitch and Youtube via Xsplit, OBS, and many other software options for streaming and recording gameplay.

DuKe NuKeM, FrostII, Sophi and 3 others like this.
  17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

You would found wanting then... most dev teams use Twitch.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  18. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I demand a list of all game dev teams that use only Twitch for streams 100% of the time, that I can then research and confirm your findings. It should also contain the list of all dev teams that currently exist in the world that have done or do streams.

DuKe NuKeM, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

DuKe NuKeM, Ronan, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  20. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

https://www.twitch.tv/directory

Just type in the company name in the sear bar.

DuKe NuKeM and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.