Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

So I reached out to Dallas who include Berek who hadn't replied. However sounds like Hangouts will still be used. The confusion maybe that Hangouts is a broadcasting/conferencing system that publishes to YouTube. When you watch a live Hangout you are watching on YouTube and when it is over it is saved to YouTube as an archive automatically.

I hope these events, at least until launch, are available on YouTube and it's sounds like they will. There is no issue with adding Twitch as exposure is good for the game, but it would be a disservice to the community to change something that has been a staple since the Kickstarter of keeping us informed.

2. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

If you are going to claim most dev teams do only twitch and never multistream, I am going to put the obligation of providing proof on you. I already searched for some big developers and they dont have channels.

3. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

that is all I wanted is that it will be multicasted to include youtube because of the issues so many in the community have with latency, mobile data, internet speeds, etc. <3 to Dallas.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Good Show Umbrea, You've Always Been One of My Forums Heroes :D!'
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Hmm... I asked about this issue elsewhere on the forum, had not realised it was already an ongoing discussion here ;)

My original post was -

"Couple of questions I have, and some other folks also asked me ...

Will this be streamed only on the Twitch channel you are setting up, or will it also be on either Youtube, Google, both, or some combination of all the above? Or even anywhere else too ....

I see no mentions of the IRC chat client, so I'm assuming Discord is the way to be 'present' to qualify for any of the giveaways - but as Twitch also has it's own chat, will that (and IRC for folks who still want to use it) be monitored for questions too, even if not a 'prize eligible' channel?"

As for changing to a new system now - given that there are telethon 'rewards' for people paying money during the telethon, and many of those folks will be in some form of chatroom talking about what's going on, and raising new questions, and responding to the Dev replies and info, and we are on the verge of the 'final wipe' - this seems a crazy time to be changing how things have done.

What was being used worked. Might not have been perfect but it worked, people were used to it, and I've not seen a very clear justification for changing things in the last few days before the telethon. Maybe it's 'the future' but right NOW, why is it so important to change things about? Especially to something that even Berek says is not fully sorted out yet, and so many folks have legitimate concerns over Twitch and Flash....

Not unduly concerned about 'change' if it's well reasoned, done sensibly, and at an appropriate time - and properly communicated. I'm not at all convinced that is the case here.....

Aldo, FrostII, smack and 6 others like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

FrostII, Womby and Time Lord like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Think of it like this... If you were running a small dev team with limited funds would you try to get the most bang for your buck or would you just put all your time into multi-casting so everyone is happy?

I think it's great that they want to multi-cast... a better solution might be to push Twitch adoption to the right... the costs associated with hosting two livestreams are going to be greater than any costs associated with hosting only one stream... Now ask yourself: Where are the gamers? The target audience is gamers, and most gamers have high-end gaming computers and high speed internet connections. Personally, I think choosing to multi-cast is wasted effort and wasted funds... they should axe one platform or the other for the R32 events and make a permanent transition when they're ready to commit. It's not like money is just falling out of the sky.

But that's just me... I'll be happy either way and have enough visual real estate to open one single window for Twitch -or- multiple windows for Discord, IRC chat, YouTube, SotA Forums, and still be able to watch Netflix. :D

9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

There is no extra cost for multistreaming. All you do is you have it setup to send to both Twitch and Youtube, or Beam and Twitch, or Beam and Youtube, or all 3 at once, you can even add more streaming sites into the mix. I know this because I have done. I work with people who do it, and I support people who do it. The only limitation is your bandwidth. Thank you for proving my points in this thread.

SeleneNoctua, FrostII, Net and 2 others like this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Now you're just trolling... cheeky.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I am serious, there is no extra cost to multistreaming because the only limitation is bandwidth. All you have to do then as a streamer is provide your content and choose to interact with your viewers at the level you want to. Markee Dragon interacts with people on both youtube and twitch at the same time. tlovetech interacts with beam and twitch at the same time. I could continue to list of streamers, but I would just be making a list of mostly non-SotA ppl.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

People who have been actively involved in this game, supporting it through bug reports, community contributions, etc. literally for years, have in my view a reasonable expectation that they will be able to watch the most important event since the end of the Kickstarter campaign.
    For them to be excluded, not for technical reasons but as the result of a policy decision, is unacceptable.

Leelu, Cianna, Lord Baldrith and 11 others like this.
  13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There are not many, popular, streaming options for this stuff, and there are open source products that will broadcast to those providers automatically. Being a small developer is not an excuse. Not supporting both monoliths in the industry just seems lazy.

14. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

exactly, Amen <3 I think it is honestly time to just shut this thread down. I think we have all exhausted this thread now...

@Ultima Codex

Acred, Time Lord and Sophi like this.
  15. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Well gosh... came into this discussion late I guess.
    What have you done Doc??? LOL

but seriously - ok Twitch may be the way of the future... goddess help us.
    but as for now - why switch up NOW????

we've been doing youtube fine as far as I can tell, and there are security issues and other issues with Twitch that haven't been fixed yet.
    also... have you guys actually been to/ watched some of our events?
    the in-game LAG and game CRASHES when we get a bunch of us together trying to do stuff is AWEFUL!
    is that what we want to show the larger gaming community? how laggy and clunky the game is right now?

I understand that we need to move into the arena where all the other gamers are and show off our great game (and I'm not being sarcastic, I do think it has GREAT potential!) ... but perhaps we should wait just a bit until the Unity fixes are in and the game is more polished and Twitch has gone to this HTML5 thing....

and if you just HAVE to do the Twitch thing NOW... would it be a HUGE financial/time outlay to do a simul-cast on youtube???

ok that's my two bits.

peace guys!
    *hugs* to all of you
    even though we fuss 'n fight, we ARE still a community of caring peeps, and I haven't found anywhere else where I feel so at home -- I think/hope that's true for y'all too.

16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

One quick important point, regardless of whatever streaming options we go with, now and in the future, YouTube will always have the output archived for later viewing. This is true regardless of using Google Hangouts or Twitch to stream.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It totally was! Had to do a double take myself. :)

18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A 'clarification' edit :). Hope you don't mind, it will help with the discussion.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

So we can't watch it live, or join in on the discussions, but at least we will be able to watch it eventually. Just means post any questions before hand. 8^)

Leelu, Ice Queen, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I really wish you would mark text added by edit as such, and not use your modly powers to cover it up. There was no need to hide the fact.

Golem Dragon and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.