Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

No worries! I replied here to ensure everyone knew. We can't do a "Edited by" for the titles unfortunately. There is always a method that we use to let the thread know, and that was a reply here.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I'm not talking about the thread title, i'm talking about your own post. You edited it to add a few more sentences after i responded to it, with no indicator to show it had been edited.

3. Berek

Ohh! This is often done because I misspell or need to clarify, and is usually done almost immediately after I post. I will endeavor to be more transparent here in the future!

Alley Oop likes this.
  4. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Good to know - but if I'm in the Discord channel, unless I can at least hear the Telethon as it goes on the Discord 'chat' will make hardly any sense since it's mostly commenting on what has just been said by you folks. So if people can't or don't want to use Twitch/Flash to 'view' live, they are going to have a rather poor experience compared to what they are used to now. And since it's a 12 hour show this time I'd like to know as early as you can tell us what exactly the systems being used are, since I need to plan what I am doing on that day (hopefully sitting at home watching the telethon and chatting in Discord!).

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Sorry, you must have missed this post earlier in the discussion, because it was never addressed.

And you also haven't directly said anything about simulcasting. Is this not an option.. or?

Leelu, Net, Sophi and 5 others like this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

It is sad to exclude people if it is definitely possible to do BOTH. Have it on youtube and twitch live.

At the very least, it would be nice.. if there isn't going to be a simulcast, that all the "wheel of prizes" 15 or 30 minute sales that go on (discounts on lot deeds, etc) would be tweeted in a timely manner to SOTA's twitter so people who can't watch on twitch due to all the factors discussed can at least not be excluded from those benefits of the telethon, as well.

Leelu, Net, Acred and 6 others like this.
  7. Berek

This is a possibility, and we're currently looking into it!

Net, Sophi, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  8. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

Yeah please do it on twitch too, i use this a lot for the other game that costs me over 40 hours a week lol

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Will Portalarium be giving any consideration specifically to streamers or streaming in future development?

All this talk of Twitch - I came across a Twitch developers portal http://dev.twitch.tv and with a little more digging found something they call their Stream First initiative. http://dev.twitch.tv/stream-first/

Some interesting bits with regard to those interested in streaming SotA for entertainment, competition, or whatever reasons a person may have to stream SotA.

Game UI
    Making the game UI 'legible' for viewers
    Inclusion
    Eg: allow the broadcaster to play with his audience, sub sunday
    Recognition
    Eg: audience call outs
    Community achievements
    Eg: be the first person in a channel community to get X achievement

Structured Audience Feedback
    Eg: strawpoll for what my build should be
    Motivation
    Eg: gain in-game experience by watching
    Community Co-op
    Eg: work together to achieve a common goal
    Direct Influence
    ‘TwitchPlays’ - Eg: viewers choose the path

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our first telethon with a snooze button o_O?'

[​IMG]
    I certainly hope not, for everyone's sake... :)
    You're a tech company, keep working on it ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

It isnt a "possibility" it is a fact that it can be done via a simulcast at no extra cost or effort on their part. The problem is in, "do they want to do it because of the internal decisions made for 'reasons' on the dev teams end.". I am still waiting for the answers to my request but i know I wont get them either.

FrostII, agra and Time Lord like this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Manpower is a cost, equipment represents a cost, bandwidth is a cost, planning is a cost, time is a cost, planning for fail-over is a cost, there is a financial cost to be considered, expended efforts represent cost, there are unknown costs... there is always a cost.

Jaxtron likes this.
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

I'd rather not have my user interface mutilated to cater for some parasite who prefers to watch games being played by other people on Twitch rather than fork out $45 to actually play the game and thereby support its development.

Leelu, Net, Ronan and 4 others like this.
  14. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

For the record, I too WILL NOT use Flash. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Streaming isn't going away - it would be a good move for Portalarium to embrace the idea of streamers wanting to cast SotA and make the interfaces as stream friendly as possible. I doubt very seriously that the interface would be mutilated... Womby, I'm actually at a loss for words here... Parasites? Really?

@Womby If you really can't see an upside to livestreaming SotA, I don't know what to tell you... maybe you shouldn't use the Internet? I don't know... this just got really weird... I don't think I've ever been called a parasite before... wow.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Jaxtron and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Our Word of Mouth Advertising~o_O?'
    With a virtual zero advertising budget, I do expect that out SOTA Technolians can overcome a dual live stream.
    If we are to continue this word of mouth advertising, then we need allot more mouth shouting than Twitch alone can cover.

As far as the live feed, I haven't embraced the telethons as where I expect to get all my information from. We have a really nice forum where things can be better quoted from for our newcomers to get their historical information about our game which they will need. I do realize and know that this "old tech" of writing things down is quite out of fashion for some folks, but it's where everyone comes for their information from people that should know.

The written word is dead, long live the sound bite :D
    ~Time Lord~:p

Acred, Sophi and Golem Dragon like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Yes, that was rather harsh. Technically correct (the best kind of correct), but harsh. After all, there is in theory a payoff. Some of those who watch might buy the game, so there is value in streaming. It should not however result in any compromise on user interface design, which is already difficult enough.

Leelu, Sophi, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

you are a... umm... Plasmodium Falciparum, and you smell of elderberries! (sorry malaria was the only parasite I could think of off the top of my head). 8^p

I don't really see that it would affect our user interface in any way to be able to code something in that makes it easier for people to stream. Beyond just making it legible in the first place, and that's a concern regardless of streaming.

Also I question this. What makes you think its technically correct? Do you have percentages to back up that the majority of people who watch streaming will never purchase the game? (I appreciate the Dilbert quote though)

Sophi, 4EverLost and Time Lord like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

I apologise if I have upset anybody. I am uncharacteristically cranky right now because it looks like I won't be able to watch the End of World stream live and the popularity of Twitch is responsible.

FrostII, Leelu, Net and 4 others like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

*shakes his fist at Twitch*

Leelu, Acred, Sophi and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.