Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sorry my friend Birko :( I put it into a spoiler for you...
    I guess any mention of Kool Aid during our end of the world telethon would be way out of the question is well...
    :p "Made you look" :D
    ~Time Lord~;)

Ice Queen, Amber Raine and Ronan like this.
  2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I don't have a problem with twitch myself. I am use to watching twitch for Camelot Unchained for years now. I really enjoy their sessions where they are working on artwork, sounds, word building, and in game items such as weapons/armor, and I always gotta watch anything with MJ and the devs.

Leelu likes this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you everyone for your feedback! As I already mentioned, we're going to be using Google Hangouts and YouTube as per normal, with the option to view the telethon on Twitch. So everyone can relax and know that you have your normal regularly scheduled program coming soon :).

Daxxe Diggler, Acred, Derium and 15 others like this.
  4. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

5. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I'll keep with my tradition of asking the dumb questions - do you mean the live telethon will be on Hangouts and Youtube, as well as Twitch, or is it just the 'recorded' versions that will be on those?

Time Lord and Berek like this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

All of the above! Hangouts streams automatically to YouTube, and then stores the stream on YouTube after it concludes. Also, Twitch stores livestreams and can export to YouTube. So we have all of those options available.

And speaking of options, here is the YouTube viewing link!

7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Thank You.

8. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Aha! You are absolutely correct Ronan, I had forgotten about those pesky commercials that pop up during the cast. Which in that case, you are also correct that it does absolutely nothing for the streamer either. That money goes straight to twitch.

I had forgotten about those adverts because I have never seen or had them. I believe my ad blocker may be to thank for that. Not sure.. but yes.. they are there.. and presistant little buggers if you don't also have a blocker.

Time Lord and Ronan like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I've only ever seen the advertisements at the beginning of a stream. Maybe it has something to do with the streams that I watch... They certainly aren't any less annoying than the advertisements I see on YouTube. I suppose ads will always be a part of any free service.

Time Lord and Amber Raine like this.
  10. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Adverts are also on youtube, yes, again a place I have never seen them because.... ad blocker. What a great little tool for your browser and it prevents all adverts from popping in your face. But free services have always, and will always have some form of way to create revenue... for people who do not like them, think they are a pain, disturbing, not happy with giving out money by watching an ad or paying for a service....

Question, (I am wearing flame repellent gear so feel free to bring on the burns but....... )Do you think the service they are providing is FREE for them to host? Do you not think they need to make money in some way ((and those adverts do not give a lot when they run them)) to maintain servers? connection? feeds? They are up 24/7 with little to no downtime.. that costs money. Money created by adverts or those who pay a little to help get rid of them (if not using an ad blocker, which i hear the ad still runs, i just don't see it and it does not interrupt my viewing ability)...

Even TV and Radio have adverts ;)

Also - "They should update their stuff to this or that" .. is that free to them? Are their coders going without pay?

Whether it is youtube, twitch, google hang outs.. discord... anything for that matter... none of it is free for them just because it is for those who may sit back and watch it.

This isn't to insult or belittle anyone for not liking them... I wouldn't do that... it is to simply ask.... do you think theirs or anyones service is free to THEM... just because it is free to you?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Amber,
    When I watch a stream on youtube I do not get ads interrupting the feed, only on twitch.
    I have no problem with ads showing as long as the feed is not interrupted or interfered with. Heck, I even click on some of the ads! The news broadcasts I view always show their ads at the beginning, not a problem. Again if the feed is interrupted once it starts, I am gone. Oh, and I don't watch TV...once the programming was reduced below 23 minutes in a 30 minute segment, it was not longer enjoyable to me.

and seems this train of thinking may be hijacking the thread, we can discuss this elsewhere if you like, FB message comes to mind :)

Time Lord and Amber Raine like this.
  12. Jaxtron

Jaxtron Avatar

I read the forums daily (if not several times a day) but rarely post. I am a lurker in pretty much everything be it this forum, forums for other games, MMORPG forums, etc. I am also pretty much a lurker in Twitch.

Yes, I watch Twitch regularly. I will often have it going when I am playing a game as background. When I first start a stream, I get a commercial. The only other time I generally get a commercial is if the streamer runs for a bio break or something, they may queue up a commercial. Yes, I let the commercials run. I am not paying Twitch for the service and have no problems letting the commercial run if it helps with the service. I am a firm believer in paying for something I use. I have bought into this game for a lot more than the basic price for the episodes. I play a few free to play games that I either donate to or buy cosmetics in the cash shop to help fund. Why would I deny them some revenue just to avoid a commercial? I have also subscribed to Twitch streamers. If I enjoy what they do, why wouldn't I want to support them for the amount of time I few their content?

As for Twitch performance being horrible, stops and starts, etc. I rarely ever have that issue. I may watch a stream for an hour, see one commercial at the beginning and never have any kind of buffering or issue with viewing the stream. Perhaps it is the connection everyone is running on but yea, absolutely no problem here at all. In fact, I tend to get as good, if not better performance viewing Twitch than I do watching the stuff done for Shroud through Google.

I personally don't care what service they use. I will try to watch, if I am available on whatever service they use. Yes, I use flash and no, I am not afraid of it. I am cautious on where I go and what I do with my machine on the net, I use different passwords everywhere, all my data is external and backed up regularly, my virus and firewall software is always up to date, etc. I am not going to deny myself something out of fear. I have gotten one malicious virus in my many years of gaming (started with muds on 900baud BBS) and that virus came from an email my sister sent. If I get a virus that trashes stuff, life goes on...

Duke Avery, Time Lord and Amber Raine like this.
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

To summarise, the concerns that several people have expressed include:
    1. security
    2. advertisements interrupting the stream
    3. lack of options in free version for setting a resolution that is compatible with limited bandwidth, resulting in pauses, hangs and skips

These are all valid, legitimate concerns.

Some fortunate people for various reasons (e.g. have great internet bandwidth, ad blockers and/or don't mind risking viruses*), either do not experience these or consider them unimportant.

That does not make them any less legitimate.

* Keep in mind that a perfectly legitimate website could include a Flash-based ad that is served from a third party site that has been compromised.

Ice Queen, Acred, Net and 2 others like this.
  14. Selene

Selene Avatar

But the important thing is, as Berek has reiterated, the telethon will be in both places.

Ice Queen, Net, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.