Advice on where to settle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HermitFromPluto, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Hello.

Just wondering if I can get some advice on the upcoming lot claims.

I backed the game way back when it first launched and believe I am Citizen level Royal Founder. I bought a few extras along the way. When I backed I lived in Australia, but two years ago I started working in Uzbekistan. The internet is terrible here and I haven't managed to log in much over the past two years. I also travel a lot for work and am away from my computer 50% of the time.

It is by far the most I have paid for a computer game and what inspired me to pledge, apart from being an Ultima fan since Ultima II, was the thought of having a place at the water's edge in a remote frontier village where I could hunt and trade and live peacefully.

From what I've read it will be the busy places that are most popular, but I guess waterfront lots will be scarce also.

Can anyone recommend a good place to settle that would meet my expectations? Is there any hope for a Royal Founder Citizen to get a water front lot? Or should I give up on that idea.

Thanks!

2. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

If you want to actually be on the water you could try claiming a "town" size lot in a place like Kingsport, Brittany or Ardoris. (see www.sotamap.com for locations). However, those lots are rare and will likely go quickly. Also, bear in mind this requires a town lot deed.

Your best bet to assure a "remote village" with a "water front lot" would be to find a player owned town (POT). I have a POT island called Orion's Hold on an island near Kingsport. All the lots will be open to claim by anyone once I get the town set up. You and anyone else are welcome to settle there.

I am quite sure many other POT owners will extend the same offer to you.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    MagiK, DuKe NuKeM, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Its hard to say really.....

Some say Brittany and surrounding subdivisions will be the hot spot for commerce, but its really anyone's guess right now. You can try for a main stream location for better vendor placement, and or go for a more out of the way location to be alone. It really depends on your play style.

DuKe NuKeM, Time Lord, Mata and 3 others like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome! Nobody knows for sure how popular water lots will be, but I think your chance of finding a nice one in a beautiful location is good since you don't mind living in a quiet area. Many people like myself prefer to have a regular village lot with a lovely view of the ocean, and you might want to consider that possibility as well.

Your first decision will be whether to place your home in an NPC town (these towns are more or less part of the story of the game), a player-owned-town (POT) or a player-run-town (PRT). PRTs are simply residential towns. The newer larger ones have all the basic amenities, and most have a few lovely water lots.

@Ice Queen has gone to the trouble of cataloguing the towns in the game: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EOx1GA2pkKy7200kSKweJ9qnlP4b3eROd570WBKFuu4/edit?usp=sharing
    Another source of information about lots is sotamap.com. If you click on a town you will generally find more information about it, including maps. This site is the work of one person, @Jakub White, so understandably the newest towns take a while to get added. On Sotamap.com all POTs have a icon that look like a small house, whereas NPC Towns and PRTs have an icon that looks like a small castle.

NPC Towns:
    Some of the more remote NPC towns with water lots are Xenos, Spite and Aerie. Xenos and Spite have just been re-modeled and you can find screenshots and a map in the Updates of the Avatar #185 and #186 https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385
    Scrolling through the updates, you will find information and screenshots of other towns made when they were first introduced. Brittany Fields has several beautiful village water lots looking onto a lake.

PRT Towns:
    The older original PRTs (examples are Holtrot and Kingswood) are simply small residential villages with only a banker/town crier. I don't know of any that have water lots. The advantage of these towns (in my opinion) is simply their proximity to towns that have a lot of commerce like Owl's Head.

The newer PRT towns (example Brekken Bay) are based on POT templates. They are large towns with a town center and the basic amenities. Most (if not all) probably have some water lots.

POTs:
    POTs are towns that have been purchased by a player. Owners of these towns can design their towns however they want (within the restrictions of the town template they have chosen). Many POT owners are looking for residents to fill up their towns - you can find more information in the POT forum: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/player-owned-towns.154/ To live in a POT you must have permission of the town owner to claim a lot there. The positive aspect is that the owner may be able to accommodate any wishes you have regarding lot location. Also, the POT owner can reserve the lot for your sole use so you don't have to scurry around during the land rush looking for a free spot. A POT owner does have the power to evict anyone from their town, so it is advisable to make sure that the POT owner has a good reputation before deciding to settle in the town. When you enter a POT you will see the name of the POT owner at the top of the screen, so you can contact the owner for more information. Most, if not all, POT templates have water in them, so the POT owner can choose to add water lots to the town. My own village home will be in a POT on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

I am sorry your connection to the game is so poor in Uzbekistan. Since the devs are still working with Unity to fix crashing bugs, it will be even more difficult for you to scout out the spot you want. I wish you luck!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I can tell you right now if you want to use your waterfront citizen house that there have always been free village water plots in Brittany Docks & Brittany Fields, also other towns like Aerie. So if that's what you're after then I think you'll be ok.

As a fellow royal founder (knight level) I have no intention to claim a water plot and I think a lot of our compatriots (at various levels) feel the same way, so don't get too worried that they'll all get snapped up before you get a chance to make a claim.

If all else fails the early island template PRTs off Kingstown in the Hidden Vale have an absolute ton of water plots. Even during the early releases when available land was insufficient to meet demand I don't think those ever filled up.

Can't comment on where is the best location overall though - that's going to be a very personal choice! Though I imagine anywhere in Brittany Central would be desirable for many reasons.

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome HermitFromPluto!

7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

If you have time in the next three days, 14 hours and three minutes, you might pop into the game and seek out these suggestions, looking for places you might be interested in. And perhaps place a house so you are familiar with the process. This will speed things up when it comes time for you to place your house.

DuKe NuKeM, Time Lord and Mata like this.
  8. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks everyone for the great replies and the wealth of information. It really is very helpful and I understand the options much better now. Yes. I need to try to log into the game in the coming days. From the message I received I understand though that I can't claim my lot until 13 August, so that will give me some time to look around if I can log in (internet is often poor here during the day, but best in the small hours of the night). I may be back with some more questions, but again many thanks!

Derium, DuKe NuKeM, Rhiannon and 8 others like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I Encountered a Message From You Home Planet~:confused:!'

You must have made a good impression on her :D
    Welcome @HermitFromPluto !

See you in game sometime my friend ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

DuKe NuKeM and Mata like this.
  10. Selene

Selene Avatar

Is this song about Pluto being stripped of its planetary status? It makes me sad, too. :(

Time Lord and DuKe NuKeM like this.
  11. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

12. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

Get out and run around . Use sota map to get a rough idea of where the lot sizes of your choice are and scope them out . This helped me in making my decision :)

Ajacied1987, Time Lord and Mata like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:)~Pluto, A Great Sad Song~:(!'
    It's one of her only hits if you ask me :D She's never let her voice go in a big way and stays on the low range of low volume music. I understand from my Thai friends that her songs in Thai language are much better than her songs in English (German father + Thai mother = success story).

The planet Pluto got a bum deal because space academics :cool: like to impress people by attempting to change terminologies. They do this in order to appear as if they have a more beneficial job other than their product of bringing back a sack of rocks from the moon, which were sold on E-Bay :p Cost of product vs value seems a bit lacking... o_O

Anything that has gravity enough to pull itself into a ball seems to me to be a better definition of a planet rather than an asteroid or any other defining term. Pluto will always be a planet to me, as well as other spheres in the sky.
    But that song of hers is beautiful in my book and "always makes my play list"...
    I think she's saving her voice for a long career :)

:oops: There's no doubt though that Pluto's got real character!
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

14. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Duck!!!!!

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Pluto is just one of many space balls.

Lord-Galiwyn and Time Lord like this.
  16. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Awesome. I think I'm in love with Jannine Weigel :)

A couple more silly questions. Always planned to buy a basement. Do I need to do this now before wipe? (and can you have a basement with a water side property?)

Also, with with my royal founder pledge, I understand I get a digital village property for life (with water cabana if I claim a water lot), but I am not sure ... do I actually have a house? Or do I need to buy one? I managed to log in a few times over the years, but never got to claiming a lot and putting my things down.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Upgrading to Edelman is a small fee but gets you better lot placement too.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

yes you can have a basement on a waterlot also

Time Lord likes this.
  19. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

doesn't matter where you settle, just make sure you can afford your outrageous daily tax rate.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think zero will be pretty easy to afford.

Derium and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.