Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

~~~~LINUX BLOCKERS UPDATE~~~~

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Attenwood, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello Linux community!

Live Build 447
    The known issues that have been plaguing and crashing Linux for months are still present in this build. To make sure you can at the very least work around it when entering Isle of Storms at character creation, follow the steps below:

WORKAROUND
    1. Hold down a movement key (WASD or equivalent) at scene load
    2. By virtue of moving, you will not be flung into space.
    3. Navigate to the Magic Mirror down the hill from the starting npc while still holding down a movement key
    4. Interact with the Mirror by either double clicking or using "E" to interact
    5. Once in Character creation, you can create your character and will be safe once leaving that screen.

PATCH 1 (07.28.16)
    Most of the critical Linux issues have been resolved that impacted movement and crashing. These have been present for several releases, but we successfully implemented code that should see them become nonexistent once the first patch is delivered.

2. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Hey Attenwood, do you have a ETA for the Patch?

randomonium and AvatarGG like this.
  3. AvatarGG

Yes, please? I can't wait to reserve my name and explore New Britannia!

randomonium likes this.
  4. AvatarGG

Chris just said this in Discord chat :(

Atos-Today at 8:16 PM
    @AvatarGG Sadly, this mornings patch that included the Linux fix and water fix failed sanity test. The bow was missing from starting map. We might get a patch out tonight that will fix the Linux and water issues

5. Attenwood

Later this evening, assuming the patch passes sanity testing.

randomonium and Arcanoxer like this.
  6. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

The Linux issues impacting movement mentioned here, is this what I am experiencing with my camera jumping around very often while I walk around? If that was clear enough to understand. I can be walking facing forward, but suddenly I'll be facing the ground or nearly behind me or up towards the sky.. It is extremely vexing and making it very difficult to travel.

7. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

I previously mentioned this one in R31 too - except that had an added effect of literally teleporting me to random spots on the map!

8. Attenwood

Unfortunately this is a performance issue, I believe, and one not exclusive to Linux, and will not be resolved by the fixes going into the patch. :(

Did adjusting the sensitivity of controls help at all with this?

9. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

I'm afraid it didn't, even turning them all the way down did nothing to help with that one.
    So - how does a perf issue toss me into a place I couldn't possibly go? (like on top of a mtn, far out to sea) Is it like rubberbanding?

10. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I just now tried lowering the sensitivity and turning around the camera in a circle while standing still. The camera still jumps around in rather large directional changes.

Some times (I had trouble reproducing this particular element) the camera would refuse to move in one of the directions, like left or right. If I was moving the camera in circles towards the left, then suddenly it would be like there was a wall preventing further movement towards the left. It would only let me go in any other direction than the one I was currently trying to drag the camera towards. I had to stop holding the right mouse button, and then re-press the right mouse button to resume camera control in order to tear down the "wall". This issue is definitely not performance related.

These problems began for me with the release that introduced the new mouse controls/movement/targeting, I think. It shouldn't be a pure performance issue, seeing as I have quite the monster of a machine running this game. I can give you the specs if you want.

randomonium likes this.
  11. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

That's when they showed for me, too. I wasn't against the interface change (Works fine for me in Ryzom), but I think that it either aggravated or caused the navigation issues. I'm running a pretty high spec box as well. My suspicion is that it may be more related to something subtle. I'll toy with it once I'm able to create a character again!

Soliwilos likes this.
  12. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Regarding creating a character; What worked for me was deleting the one I had began on, and with a fresh start I held 'w' while it was loading me into the game. While moving towards Arabella I never let go of 'w' and used the mouse to target and initiate a conversation. Also be sure to hold 'w' immediately after ending the conversation with her to continue to the mirror.

It seems that if you've already been thrown into 'space', then you can't get back. You have to delete the character. At least that is what I had to do.

randomonium likes this.
  13. stephenrd

stephenrd Avatar

I tried switching to the 32 bit version to get around the problem of being flung into space. I was able to delete and create a new character, but upon entering the rift the game crashed.

Update: I kept crashing before the blood river massacre could load, so I switched back to the 64 bit client, but I fear that when next I die I'll be flung into space and crash.

Still have the constant walking forward problem, too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    randomonium likes this.
  14. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

Patch 449 was a big improvement for me on the Linux 64-bit client. I am no longer flung into space nor running in place! I feel like I am part of the world now--the game is beautiful and keeps getting better.

randomonium, Chris and Attenwood like this.
  15. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Working well for me so far! I'm in and playing. No more mouse jumpiness, no more exit to sky, etc. I haven't tried screenshot yet. I have catching up to do.

16. mercster

mercster Avatar

Using the Linux 32bit client, trying to go anywhere from Highvale Battle (the gate out, the carriage to Soltown, even trying to teleport to another user) all crash for me. Anyone experiencing this?

17. AvatarGG

I think the 32bit client is not supported anymore. You should try using the 64 bit client.

18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...the 32-bit client was the portalarium-recommended way to get around that particular set of bugs.

19. mercster

mercster Avatar

Solved, kinda: The 64bit client works better in this regard; someone said there was a problem with the 32bit client mapping enough memory for some areas. So I'm using the 64bit client. I think they solved the problem with ghosts flying around the screen or whatever it was.

20. Attenwood

We do not officially support 32-bit, but recognized at the time that it was working around several issues that were visible but should now be resolved in the official 64bit version.

Sentinel2, randomonium and AvatarGG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.