First Impression on last night play

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Maltese, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maltese

Maltese Avatar

First Impression:
    Started way down in Soltown. Encountered a few game errors killing a couple of insects. Maps scrolls still showed runes despite having rune name translation checked. World map view has improved dramatically. Never could find a town map (scroll) of Brittany Wharfs.

Never could figure out how to place a basement on my village plot. Plot management of items is very quirky. I could not relocate my pet dog nor my rabbit. Only saw one player (at start area fishing) during my three hours of play.

Avatar animations still appear very robotic (hasn't changed much in two years) especially during combat using the bow. I think some additonal sound effects using spells/weapons are needed. Game crashed trying to take the boat under the bridge.
    The game environment is just amazing. Detail, detail really makes for an immursive experience.

2. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

firesparx, Maltese and Mata like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome!

To place a basement, you need to place a hatch either in your house or on your property outside. Then when you click on the hatch you get an option to use a basement deed to add a basement.

I'm not online now, but I think you can right-click on your decoration pet to get a menu that lets you pick it up again. Then you can place it somewhere else.

It is a good idea to read the Player's Guide, because these and other questions are answered there. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub

I'm not surprised that you didn't see many people playing since everything will be wiped tomorrow and we have to start over. It's like a ghost town! :)

Frequent game crashes will continue until the Unity bugs are fixed. That is really unfortunate and will give new players a bad experience with the game. :(

4. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Maltese!

firesparx and Maltese like this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Just to answer a few things here.

When you get closer to the towns you should see the english translation if the scroll you are referring to is the names of towns on the overworld map. If you are referring to books translating from runic to english, I'm unfamiliar with that.

If you are referring to mini-maps, there are very few of them in-game, very few have been done (to my knowledge) since we got off the tiny island of Hidden Vale and onto the main continent. Which is unfortunate because I really would love to have them! (Eventually!)

You have to pick up the pet from your lot (I think it's right-click) in order to place it down somewhere again, they cannot be dragged and dropped. I kept trying to drag and drop too!

If you log on next week you will likely see many more players as now everything we do is persistent now - looking forward to seeing you in-game :)

Beaumaris, firesparx, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  6. Maltese

Maltese Avatar

Thanks for the welcomes and informative replies and comments. I love maps and cartography. I think they're an essential part of adventure gaming. Looking forward to experiencing..all aspects of this wonderful world.

firesparx, FrostII and Mata like this.
  7. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game :) Hope you'll have fun!

Mata and Maltese like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome, Maltese!

firesparx and Mata like this.
  9. Leeford

Leeford Avatar

I would add a couple things concerning the basement hatch. My pledge contains both a house and basement, but did not include the hatch. You can buy a hatch in Owls Head off the housing deco merchants on the top floor of the bank. So I traveled there to buy one. After I placed my hatch, I decided to upgrade my basement and got one from the add on store. The add on basement included a hatch. So if your plan is to buy a add on basement, you might not want to bother traveling to owls head for a hatch.

Mata likes this.
  10. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

We have tried to get the devs to create a newbie tutorial and well, they tried.

Mata likes this.
  11. mmikelas

mmikelas Avatar

The biggest dissapointment since the wipe and R32 are the Unity engine bugs... the game is simply unplayable on Mac in any form. If I manage to get five minutes in on either my MacBook Pro or iMac before the game completely locks up and I have to force quit, I'm lucky... Fortunately, I still have access to a Windows machine so I'm still able to play that way. Beyond that, sure there are still going to be glitches, but I remember being an early alpha tester for Ultima Online (think I still have my CD somewhere) and an early adopter for DDO, LoTR, EQ, etc. etc. - they all take a good deal of time to settle in... The potential with SotA is both incredible and exciting!

Mata likes this.
  12. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome mmikelas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.