Current Players Online 440

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abydos, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

LOL! ROFL!!! Oh my goodness that is hilarious. Good post, so true.

*My wife is now mad at me because I laughed so hard I woke her up...

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Apart from claiming my lot, I'll mostly be waiting for the game's full launch as after playing a few releases I found the unfinished quests frustrating, early access isn't for everyone.

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

We are at "they laugh at you".
    2 steps to go.

Nasir likes this.
  4. Deides

Deides Avatar

How many MMORPGs are there right now? How many have failed? I've wager is over 50/50. I used to play a mmo called WISH i really loved. was all i wanted in an mmo, then it failed because it didn't have enough players log in.
    I might be fine now since playerbase seems really really rich (evidenced by funds raised).........

CampersCrispin likes this.
  5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

EVE was super punishing in the beginning, had low numbers of loyal players, and was (kind of still is) considered a niche market. While claiming this will be the next EVE is premature, there are many similarities.

6. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

I wager more will come when Ep 1 is released. Unfortunately a lot of folks don't understand that where we are now is an incredible accomplishment and we are persistent. There is every reason to be playing right now.

I wonder if some aren't deterred by bugs and simply want Ep 1, the final, polished product.

IMO, their loss, and our win for lot selection and getting ahead. I wish I could play more, but I have this thing called work ;)

Snikorts likes this.
  7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Depending on what the player count is - a current and peak number daily would be interesting on the main page (live).

8. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

I second this!

9. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

My wife and I are here from KS times. I have played various releases to see how is it going, but no too much to no get burnout. We have pledged and are waiting to get the full experience that SOTA can offer. We will be here for the lot selection process but will certainly wait until Devs estimate that the game is ready to launch. We have no fear, the game is coming along very well on our eyes and it already have an incredible player base, very committed and nice people.

On another topic, I don't agree to show the number of people online on a website. It only serves to trolling about it. If you want to play just do it, or not. What would be useful is a list of your actual friends on line.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  10. Azur

Azur Avatar

I'd like to see this too. Personally I'm not in game much because I'm on vacation right now. My wife is also a backer but not playing right now until we get home. I suspect there will be a (smallish) percentage of people who aren't playing because of they are away. Bigger numbers are no doubt waiting for their housing selection time.

Lord Blackthorne and Acred like this.
  11. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I've made my character, but thats as far as I've gotten so far. I'm still heavily addicted to UO 18 years later lol. But I know this game is here for when the guild isn't doing anything :)

Oh and on topic. I wouldn't expect thousands online this early in the games development. I've no doubt by the time the game is officially launched there will easily be at least two thousand online, or trying to get online.

Just takes time for advertising. Right now, just keep playing the game. Make sure there is a community online for when new people show up to talk to, that will help keep new players in game. And of course making video's, and live streaming helps too.

12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

"Final Wipe" may be of more significance to some than others. Many backers would rather wait until things are more developed rather than ruin any surprises, for instance, and dont participate in pre-alpha. For others, it may not be a convenient time.

13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Ok, this is getting silly. Really silly. I invited you to go back and re-read what was said. Clearly you didn't, so I'll just repost my entire comment:

"Well, to play devil's advocate, from the POV that if a game had a small playerbase, and we know that playerbases generally shrink over time as people get bored, a small playerbase is absolutely something to worry about."

So... what's the speculation I'm making? I'm not even commenting on SotA directly (!!!) I'm saying if A game had a small playerbase, and playerbases can shrink, then that kind of thing is something to worry about.

It's a "devil's advocate" comment in response to someone saying that, so long as someone likes SotA, the numbers don't matter. Again, if you re-read the thread, like I asked, you might have got the context, the second time around.

My comment is as broad as broad can be. It's about the playerbase in ALL games. Yet that doesn't seem to be getting through to you.

Heradite, Sir_Hemlock and evillego6 like this.
  14. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I was replying to you, after you replied to someone else who had mentioned Day Z. Your response was that all of the games he referred to were heavily marketed. I corrected the misinformation you were putting out there to support your argument. If Day Z was irrelevant to the discussion and you were excluding it, you should not have included it by using the term 'all'. You made the mistake, I simply corrected your mistake. Next time, choose your words more carefully. The correct response here would be, 'I spoke incorrectly and made an error.' but that won't be the one you make.

15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Pop is ok atm. I am just afraid that ppl will get bored once they find out pvp and pve are not really there... I hope next release improves the pvp areas so there is finally some reason to use them.

else I am afraid ppl will be gone again until release and the changes have been made. As it is right now I highly doubt the small hype can last long... but hope dies last..

watch some streams... its funny to see how streamers have to start defending the game day 2 into it.. ;)

16. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I Agree with you, but that is exactly what will happen during early access, and nothing to be alarmed about.

When there is somethign new, it will be alot of people in, and then when people dont have something to do, population will decline in order to go up again next release, until there is something to keep yourself occupied with.

No reason to be alarmed thought. Not yet ;)

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well sota hasnt been popular before so I doubt this final wipe has harmed it that much... but if there is no real pvp before release and reviews getting better it will be even more empty than it was before final wipe.

18. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Also, why the doom and gloom when the game is this early in development? It wasn't that long ago it was only a kickstarter. It takes quite awhile before a new MMO takes off. Also advertising.

Most of the players here came from UO / Ultima or heard of this game because we follow RG / are fans of his games.

That is a pretty small and aged community. Give it time. The game will grow in time, when more advertising comes available.

Stahlknecht and Sir Cabirus like this.
  19. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

If you give an aged community too much time you get a died out community ...

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

I"ve been gone for many releases and just decided to come back after @Solstar told me this was the week of the final wipe. Wait a few weeks and see how the numbers fare - it will take time for the news to filter to people who've been gone a while (landrush or no).

Phiedrus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.