Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

the 19 SECOND STUTTER

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Sir Brenton, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

7/30/2016 6:58 PM
    Title: the 19 SECOND STUTTER
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Just about..
    Details: Read below
    Steps to Reproduce: play
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 16336
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8144
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.451.Date.07.29.16
    Area: Kingsport
    Loc: (102.9, 25.2, 13.6)

Ok first let me start off by saying this IS NOT the nameplate bug (which is crazy as well) but acts very similar.

This (in combination with the nameplate bug) is what is keeping me from coming back to SOTA for any length of time without getting fed up.

I call it the 19 second stutter.. because I just sat here and timed it.

[​IMG]

Every 19 seconds or so the game stutters, which causes great frustration if I am moving around and find myself suddenly staring in a completely different direction or at the ground or at the sky, etc.

Here is a video of the stutter. I recorded this at 1024 to try and zoom in a bit to demonstrate. It's hard to watch and not 'experience'. So watch closely.

The first one happens about the 5-6 second mark, and the next...you got it, about 19 seconds later.

http://danielbrentoncole.com/misc_files/19_second_stutter_1.mp4

Here is another video showing a small example of the jump as I am turning the camera and suddenly looking at a wall as it stutters

http://danielbrentoncole.com/misc_files/19_second_stutter_2.mp4

Is there perhaps a script or timer of some sort pinging or running in game every 18-20 seconds?

I have tried every possible combination of video settings, sound settings, and what not. It's exactly the same every time. ~19 seconds.

I really...REALLY, want to get to the bottom of this so I can enjoy SOTA again. This happening while trying to combat critters and everything else is just too frustrating to suddenly be staring at the ground or lose your target, etc.

Does anyone else get this? Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Avatar

I am having the exact same issue. Reminds me of when I played UO and people were using some sort of speed hack. That use to lag me to no end until the person left the area, then it would all of sudden clear up. For me it is not every 19 seconds, but varies from 2 to 3 seconds to about 15 and the lag is for a good 2 to 3 seconds if not longer. I agree it is very frustrating to have this happen. It does make the game unenjoyable. This for me was in the Hallowed Plains which I realize it says it is under construction but does that mean there is going to be really bad lag in those areas as well?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

+1 Happens to me too even tho i haven't recorded if it is exactly 19s but definitely there is periodic stutter which is not fixed by turning the name plates off.

4. imin

imin Avatar

I also get this alot. It makes the game unplayable. switching my video settings etc does nothing.
    I really hope they get this fixed.

5. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Dragon Slayer, this sounds like the nameplate bug. Look at the "graphic jumpiness" post in this section. Try pressing 'N' to turn off nameplates for that. I want to make sure this issue is kept seperate. Good luck :)

6. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. We are aware of these issues and will be working to resolve them asap. Thank you for reporting.

BiggieD and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  7. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

glad to hear it, if you have any insight into it, that would be great. Since I and apparently many others have been putting up with it for a while now and it's probably scaring off a pretty good number of ppl because of it. Would love to know whats the cause and what to look out for in the future towards a resolution :)

Thanks!

8. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

happened to me, was caused by tooltips and quest trackers. Turned all off and much improved.

9. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Glad to hear thats working for you. Seems to still be an issue for myself. And I know it started before quest trackers were even a thing. Hopefully that works for others though.

10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Mark me as another who has this issue. Glad they are aware and working on it because it's been driving me batty. :p

11. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

HDD access in SOTA is horrendous for me at the moment, after zoning a couple of times it gets really bad, after a few hours of play the game dissolves into a slideshow. I have not played much in the last couple of releases leading up to permanency but it was never this bad before.

This is not fun at all, I have friends who also own the game and are waiting to place their row lots, they would actually be playing the game but instead they are waiting to place and then leaving again to come back later when performance is fixed.

I have not played a single MMO in the last decade with performance this poor, zoning is a bad idea - the more zoning the worse it gets. The impact is also higher the more player housing contents that are on display, places like owls head where players have created their own lawn layouts rather than using actual houses are particularly bad as there is more on display.

12. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

I have the same issue as well. It happens in busy areas like Ardoris. Aside from the 19 second stutter, the game performance in general is quite poor. I have an Intel i7-6700k and Nvidia Geforce 1070 and I often get fps in the 15-25 range which is pretty terrible for a reasonably high end PC spec. Most other recently released games I get 60fps on max detail at 1080p.

13. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Same for me, but the interval changes depending on where I am in the game. I have turned nameplates on and off and haven't found much if any difference. nVidia geforce 880 GTX mobile, 16GB ram, Windows 7 ultimate and i7 CPU.

14. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

8/13/2016 12:47 PM
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4) System RAM: 16296
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4008
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.461.Date.08.10.16
    Area: Novia_R1_City_Celestis
    Loc: (-66.2, 89.0, -40.3)

In Celestis I freeze frequently. It's the only place I have an issue with freezes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  15. Psylent

Psylent Avatar

I am experiencing this as well. Most aggravating is during combat. I have nameplates turned off. Running with i3570k and 780 GTX in Win 10. And the stutter seems to last longer the longer I play. I can hear my video card chug all of the sudden too when the stutter happens. And seems to happen a regular intervals but not sure off the top of my head what that time interval is. All my other games (most recently been playing The Division) work just fine - great frame rates and not stuttering.

16. Vendetta

Vendetta Avatar

I also have this happening. Just out of curiosity, what hz monitor is everyone running the game on? I have a 144hz and I'm thinking this might be related to the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.